My Passport Is Going Back In The Safe. Unless ....

jeffrosner

Another "crackdown" goes down the $hitter. One sweep in a bar was all I saw (on Pattaya Stupid People Television) and what was discussed here and all of a sudden everyone is carrying their passport.

So, any more crack police squads "cracking" down on big bad farangs who don't carry their original passport on them at all times? Any sweeps at Carrefour - which aisle? Maybe the boys in brown after polishing off some Swenson's ice cream will be making their way to one of the Tesco Lotus stores for a "crackdown".

I think they're all on crack.

Well I was back in Pattaya recently (for the p1ssup) and asked some people who's opinion I respect and they looked blank at me. None of them had heard, apart from the incident you refer to, of anyone being even asked for id. During the day and evening up to around 10 - 11 I'd say not really necessary to carry your pp. But the later you stay out the more likely you are to get caught in a police raid for drugs, gambling, underage drinking, underage sexual partners etc and then you'll need id for sure. Also the later you stay out the higher the proportion of drunks are around with their propensity for engaging in bouts of fisticuffs thus attracting the attention of the MiB.

The only raid I ever near is the stupid road block for drunks on Sukumvhit. I don't drink and don't frequent the bars althought we did walk down Walking Street last night which my wife thought was boring.

I'll have my passport copy waiting for them in the coffee aisle at Carrefour. Then they can find me buying milk.

Are they going to start stopping people on Jomtien Beach next?

Ridiculous BS.

Read here on Thavisa that a major crack down would start 1 April 07(??), True or not your guess is as good or better than mine. :o Best of luck to all, I for one prefer to leave my passport in a relative safe place rather than take a chance a drop it somewhere(god know where). Yet another case of This is Thailand(TIT)!!

And if you need to put your passport into an embassy for a week in Bangkok

to get a Visa ... What then ?

TIT ! how sad !

Naka.

In such a case, show them a copy of the photo page of your passport and the page with your current stamp, your departure card along with the receipt from the foreign embassy for your visa application.

I carried my passport with me almost all of the time for my first year living here :o which is why I had to pay for a new passport this year! 3 years early ... it got a bit ragged (not to mention being the size of a small novel now!)

I carry a small laminated copy in my wallet and leave my passport at home (and my neighbor/landlord knows where it is in the house just in case)