Kirimaya Resort

dclaryjr

Someone mentioned playing this course in another thread so I checked out there website. It appears to be a beautiful resort--with prices to match! I'm just curious to hear from anyone who has played it. What did you think of the course? Do you have to pay the posted green fees or are there deals to be had. Anyone bit on the 1 million baht membership?! :o

I played another Nicklaus course in the Khoa Yai ( Khoa Yai )area that had a mock-up at the clubhouse of a housing development but it didn't appear that anyone was actually building. And the condition of the course was rather disappointing. I hope this one does better.

Edited by dclaryjr

Are you sure you didn't play Kirimaya? It has the mockup in the clubhouse. Anyway stayed there a couple weeks ago. About 9,000 baht for one night's stay with golf for two. Green fee is 3,500 I think with mandatory 600 baht carts per person plus 400 caddy. It was pricey but really nice course with great nature views on every hole. Top notch bird life! If you are looking for a splurge, go. If you are looking for a fantastic value, well I'd go somewhere cheaper.

Are you sure you didn't play Kirimaya? It has the mockup in the clubhouse. Anyway stayed there a couple weeks ago. About 9,000 baht for one night's stay with golf for two. Green fee is 3,500 I think with mandatory 600 baht carts per person plus 400 caddy. It was pricey but really nice course with great nature views on every hole. Top notch bird life! If you are looking for a splurge, go. If you are looking for a fantastic value, well I'd go somewhere cheaper.

Wow ! that's pretty expensive for the Kao Yai area. Guess since ex-PM Taskin named the place an economic zone the prices have gone up. I have heard the price of real estate has skyrocketed there also

Have stayed there and would highly recommend the hotel and restaurant. I am not a golfer so can not speak about the course... The area is quite nice... Arrange to do the night safari where they take you out to see the wild elephants in the park...

Are you sure you didn't play Kirimaya? It has the mockup in the clubhouse.

The place I played was called Khao Yai Country Club--there's a hyperlink in my post showing it. If this is the same place with a new name, then they've done a lot of work on it!!

There are many beautiful resort there and Bangkokians country estates. I'd say it's a hot area right now and sure to develop as well it should.

I've built my future retirement home in the area on the Phupimarn resort. I would have liked to have built a fairway home but I'll be close to several courses.

Edited by dclaryjr

็I'm fortunate to live about 25 kms from Kirimaya in Khao Yai and be a bit of a golfer.

The price for housing is now starting at 8.7million Baht for a rai in Kirimaya... The khao yai area is booming and there are many fantastic places to buy, still cheap by western standards... but i digress (check out my personal page for my URL that links to my company ;-)

About the golf at kirimaya... the weekday green fee is 2500b (3500 w/e) + obligatory 600b buggy + 400b caddie. That's a fair bit!

The course is, as you'd expect, lovely. They say that the course is designed to give the golfer the feeling that they are alone on the course, with each hole hidden from the next. When we played there, midweek, we were literally the only people on there! The caddy told me that they get about 60 rounds a week at the moment. No a lot. My mate paid (a treat for me showing him around the country) and 2 for players the total cost for him was 107 GBP on his Visa.

The course is challenging, with well positioned water hazards. The resulting feel is that one is very close to nature ( a bit too close normally, with me in the water looking for my ball). I liked it because it meant having to really think about 'course management'... having to lay up on your second and sometimes third shots. My friend, who has been all over the world and plays a lot more than I, thought it was good course, but nothing more than that. (for the record, he thinks Santiburi, Chiang Rai, is a nicer course and much better value. I have to say that I agree).

The clubhouse etc. feels too new and 'designer' (fountains, marble etc...). Most places in LOS are posh, but this feels too much so. The empty atmosphere was one of a soul less place... not the greatest feeling...

The other Niclaus course is the Khao Yai mission hills country club. Only 800b green fee, you can walk if you want to. caddy is 200b. Really great front 9, the back nine is fairly 'up and down' but the course is set amongst magnificent limestone mountains - nicer than Kirmiaya. there is less water and the course is a quite average in terms of layout... but it's great value and I fully recommend that over Kirimaya. That said, Sir James (old Forest Hills) is the same price as Mission hills and also a good course.

Golf here is really lovely, if you avoid the days that the Korean invasion happens. I try to play at least once a week, getting a buggy at 600b means a round in about 2.5-3 hours and the fact that I'm not knackered afterwards means I can continue to 'work' after too. If you any Tvers ever fancy a round at mission hills or sir james in the week, let me know.

Cheers,

James

The course is, as you'd expect, lovely.

Then they have done some work because when I played it in 2001, the native grasses were starting to reclaim the fairways. It now sounds like something I might play for a change of pace, but I like to walk rather than ride so I guess they won't be getting a million baht from me! :o

The other course I played in the area was Friendship Meadows. Still there? There was one hole where I felt like I was driving into a half-pipe. See picture on top-right:

Friendship Meadows

• 1 month later...

Good:

Course/location/scenery is very nice, typical Nicklaus, really makes you think about ball placement and course management. Enjoyed my round.

Bad :

Caddies were pathetic, no knowledge whatsoever (and I am fluent in thai too)

Pre tee off procedure was terrible

Practice/warmup facilities were terrible.

Tips :

If you are accurate off the tee, you'll be fine.Otherwise, take plenty of spare balls.