"Respectful Education" Schools.... help!

Greenmango

Hi all,

Looking for comments, advice any pointers from parents of children in the first years of primary or elementary education.

We will be moving to the area next year. My daughter has always been in what I would call "respectful"education and child care, specifically Reggio Emilia approach (think Montessori, Waldorf etc).

Does this kind of education even exist in Thailand???

I have read a few horror stories about teachers hitting pupils even in the international schools.

Our focus really is on building confidence and building the person as a whole and not mainly academic results, endless exams etc. especially at such a young age. Is this a utopian dream regarding schools in SEA??!!

Anyone have any experience on this matter?

Help would be muuuuch appreciated!

If you want a school for your child that places little to no emphasis on academics, academic performance or "academic results", you are coming to the right place. Schools that force each student to build a relatively small box and always think inside it. Schools that require that students respect everyone in  positions of authority (especially if they wear a uniform), and follow their instruction without question even when they are clearly wrong ("respectful education" at its best). It sounds like you will be happy with the available choices, and there are many. Mooltreepakdee (MIS) mentioned in the post above has some focus on the Montessori approach from years 2 to 5, primarily because of its former association with the Montessori School in Naklua, which has now closed. But, I think that any real association with the Montessori approach at MIS, certainly from and after grade 1, does not exist. The school that you choose to enroll your child with be largely affected by where you live. We chose Hastin School for our children when they were very young (starting at 2 yo), and were very happy with the mix of socialization and academics for very young children. They have now moved on to an international school that focuses on academics with all subjects taught in English by native English speakers, which is what I am paying for and what I want. While the school has many activities to "round out" the students, strong academic achievement is the primary objective and my absolute requirement. I do not abdicate MY responsibility to build/shape "whole" responsible, caring and talented children -- the school has its responsibility and skill set, and I have mine. Part of the problem with children today (and adults who were raised in this manner) is caused because parents have given up their responsibility to raise/nurture/develop their children to the schools, who do a horrible job at it (actually, they don't do it at all; it's not their job). What you seek is a utopian illusion everywhere (not only in SEA) and a draconian reality. In Thailand you can see the results of schools that put your "dream" into practice, and it isn't pretty.  Good luck, but better, good luck to your child.