EU settlement family permit for my Thai wife

Hello everyone

I'm polish national living, working since 2007 and currently studying in the UK. I would like to bring my Thai second half to live with me in UK.

Maybe somebody been through the process of obtaining a visa for your spouse and could clarify the process.

On the gov web is said there only few documents that are required.

My EU settlement scheme number, spouse passport and marriage certificate legalized by Thai MFA.

This is seem very straight forward. I was wondering shall I look for agent to sort out the application? Me and my wife been in relationship for over 17months now and recently married.

Please advise.

I am British married to a Thai wife . I have never tried taking my wife to Britain , before we married she came on holiday to Italy where I lived before moving to Thailand . As I understand it can be difficult even for British to take a Thai wife to Britain , more so than other European countries. It is necessary to have plenty of money or a substantial income sufficient to support a Thai wife .  As you are Polish I think you would be wiser to apply for your wife to come to Poland , because once established in Poland your native country , she would more likely be admitted to Britain . As a student in Britain you are not working or receiving a salary ? Certainly you would be wise to consult an agent . I have heard that Germany is easier to get into and Ireland too , but Poland might not be too difficult .

3 minutes ago, Toscano said:

I am British married to a Thai wife . I have never tried taking my wife to Britain , before we married she came on holiday to Italy where I lived before moving to Thailand . As I understand it can be difficult even for British to take a Thai wife to Britain , more so than other European countries. It is necessary to have plenty of money or a substantial income sufficient to support a Thai wife .  As you are Polish I think you would be wiser to apply for your wife to come to Poland , because once established in Poland your native country , she would more likely be admitted to Britain . As a student in Britain you are not working or receiving a salary ? Certainly you would be wise to consult an agent . I have heard that Germany is easier to get into and Ireland too , but Poland might not be too difficult .

Send a PM to @donutz, he might be able to advise?

10 hours ago, jimn said:

Send a PM to @donutz, he might be able to advise?

Hi thanks for feedback.

As I have mentioned in my first post. I have lived and worked in the UK for 12 years so far. As it's became my home others countries are not and option. I have no ties with Poland anymore.

I currently run my own business here and study as well so this makes me quite busy. Regarding the money Im self sufficient and I own house here. I would love to move to live to Thailand with my wife but the education comes first. Once I will achieve all that I have planned to do so in the UK, then there will be other options.

I will be very grateful to others for any information regarding this matter

If you still have Polish nationality it shouldn't be a problem. EU law allows any member moving to another EU country to bring his wife (from anywhere) with him and it should be free of charge. She should get permission to live and work in the uk. Obviously you will need the relevant and translated paperwork.

3 hours ago, lucas861 said:

Hi thanks for feedback.

As I have mentioned in my first post. I have lived and worked in the UK for 12 years so far. As it's became my home others countries are not and option. I have no ties with Poland anymore.

I currently run my own business here and study as well so this makes me quite busy. Regarding the money Im self sufficient and I own house here. I would love to move to live to Thailand with my wife but the education comes first. Once I will achieve all that I have planned to do so in the UK, then there will be other options.

I will be very grateful to others for any information regarding this matter

You will need an income of a minimum 18k BPS. You must have submitted tax returns for the last couple of years,  you might need money for medical insurance for her. She can get some kind of temporary settlement visa before she get full citizen ship..Its a mess. Good luck.

11 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

You will need an income of a minimum 18k BPS. You must have submitted tax returns for the last couple of years,  you might need money for medical insurance for her. She can get some kind of temporary settlement visa before she get full citizen ship..Its a mess. Good luck.

That is totally wrong. Giving incorrect advice is very unfair on someone seeking options.  The OP has exercised his right to freedom of movement by moving from his home country to the UK. At this time, he can, therefore, apply for an EEA family permit for his non-EEA spouse. There is no financial requirement, as he is employed/studying in the UK. There is no need for tax returns. There is currently no need for medical insurance. And the application is free.  See this link to the UKVI website:

https://www.gov.uk/family-permit

1 hour ago, Tony M said:

That is totally wrong. Giving incorrect advice is very unfair on someone seeking options.  The OP has exercised his right to freedom of movement by moving from his home country to the UK. At this time, he can, therefore, apply for an EEA family permit for his non-EEA spouse. There is no financial requirement, as he is employed/studying in the UK. There is no need for tax returns. There is currently no need for medical insurance. And the application is free.  See this link to the UKVI website:

https://www.gov.uk/family-permit

I have read about eea permits at gov website, it's explains my rights as a EU citizen, which I'm familiar with. However there is not much guidance regarding making an application.

As I mentioned in the first post the gov web says only 3 documents are required:

My EU settlement scheme number, my wife passport and our marriage certificate translated and legalized.in MFA 

Would it be a good idea include other proofs of our relationship? For example our wedding photos and maybe some flights tikets, chat history ect.? To make the application stronger.?

Kind regards

13 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Polish citizen has no financial or health restrictions for taking a Thai spouse into the UK.

UK citizen has.

2 hours ago, Tony M said:

At this time, he can, therefore, apply for an EEA family permit for his non-EEA spouse. There is no financial requirement, as he is employed/studying in the UK.

16 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Polish citizen has no financial or health restrictions for taking a Thai spouse into the UK.

UK citizen has.

And they wonder why Britain voted to leave the EU ?

13 minutes ago, johng said:

And they wonder why Britain voted to leave the EU ?

That just stops British citizens taking their Thai wife to the EU with no financial or health restrictions.

How does leaving the EU help British citizens?

The EEA right to work and move as a family doesn't apply in your home country, but it does apply if you live in another EU country.

42 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

UK citizen has.

I am not British and I wish the OP good luck. But what the hell of a law is that?

Has it been made in Thailand=

I would search facebook for Surinder Singh and you will find a number of very informative groups dedicated to this method of bringing a spouse into the EU, while most concentrate on countries outside the UK (Ireland, Malta etc) there are some very helpful people in these groups.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

UK citizen has.

I am not a Brit and I wish the OP good luck.

But what the hell of a law is that?

Did they Brits outsource their law making to Thailand?

• 1 month later...
On 10/29/2019 at 9:45 AM, sweatalot said:

I am not a Brit and I wish the OP good luck.

But what the hell of a law is that?

Did they Brits outsource their law making to Thailand?

Hello everyone 

Just a quick update on this matter.

The application of my wife was successful

The only documents we have supplied were marriage certificate, my employment letter, photos from the marriage, some flights tickets, photos together. Some others papers to backup our relationship. It's took 17days for the decision, no interview was required. 

It's very straight forward process. We did not use an agent. 

Archived