Furniture Expo In Chiang Mai This Week

PeaceBlondie

We went to the big outdoor furniture expo last night and bought a small shelf. Last time, about six months ago, we bought a gorgeous solid teak king size bed. Most of the furniture there is teak wood, totally legal, made by prisoners under a royal project. Good stuff and worth a look-see.

It's behind Tesco Lotus that is on the superhighway, west side of river. Near the flower stalls, in big tents.

When you buy teak , you got to see if it new wood or old wood ,

if it new wood , then deal to teh dry weather you may habe problem ,

Most wood need to be baked or dry for at least 1 years to be stable some need 3 years before it good for anything ,

Thanks for taking the time to let us know about this. I am out of Thailand at the moment, but would be interested in going to the next one. How do you find out about when they are on?

It's an annual event held around the same time and the same location.

Thanks for taking the time to let us know about this. I am out of Thailand at the moment, but would be interested in going to the next one. How do you find out about when they are on?

It's an annual event held around the same time and the same location.

Maybe it's twice annually, since we bought the bed about 6 months ago, and they sent us a flyer in the mail to let us know they were back this week. My partner and his sisters bought a rough teak table and chairs for their aged mother. Lots of variety out there, including some fine carving.

Teak is not only a very weatherproof wood for outside pieces in this climate, but it's an incredibly solid, heavy, beautiful material for a huge bed, a wardrobe, a sideboard (one that was two meters high and three meters long for only 38,000 baht, very well carved, an instant family heirloom). The planks below our mattress can be walked on by a 98 kilo man. 22K for a bedframe that will last a century.

Do they have any good desks? A big one with room for a laptop, writing area, and all the miscellaneous stuff you want to have handy? That would improve my life here. Of course I would also need a little help with delivery, I don't think I can manage a desk on my motorbike.

Just been there, they have some really top quality teak furniture for bargain prices. Picked up a teak swing / love seat for a song. Solid as a rock, they need a small crane to lift it.. Check it out, it's worth a look.

My experience with those 'swings' is that they last a maximum of two years before the bracing falls apart. They use a lot of 'gunk' at the connections to make it look good, but since it is not wood, but putty, it falls apart. Can't really tell by looking if it's new...

Just been there, they have some really top quality teak furniture for bargain prices. Picked up a teak swing / love seat for a song. Solid as a rock, they need a small crane to lift it.. Check it out, it's worth a look.

My experience with those 'swings' is that they last a maximum of two years before the bracing falls apart. They use a lot of 'gunk' at the connections to make it look good, but since it is not wood, but putty, it falls apart. Can't really tell by looking if it's new...

Thought a couple of photos would illustrate it better..

damage.jpg

damage2.jpg

Oh, and it's not teak either...

Edited by Ajarn

Actually, I just got back from buying another one there. Many improvements in the construction- it seems... :o

AND more expensive, too. 2 years ago they were 4,500 baht

Now, they are 7,000 baht

Edited by Ajarn

Went there today.

I am a great fan of wooden furniture and teak wood furniture in particular, but most of the furniture shown at the exhibition isn't so hot after all. It's quite conservative, clunky, and plain. Almost all of it is stained in the ubiquitous orange-brown (granny's favourite) colour.

Yes, there are some finely carved beds, closets, and tables which are very beautiful, and there's also nice garden furniture.

Yet, I have to say that the teak shops around Ban Tawai are already years ahead in terms of design and style. Some of these shops have picked up pan-Asian styles (Chinese, Burmese, Indonesian, etc.) as well as innovative, modern forms, whereas the teak offered in Talat Kam Tiang is basically the same that has been sold for the last 50 years.

Cheers, X-Pat

Went there today.

I am a great fan of wooden furniture and teak wood furniture in particular, but most of the furniture shown at the exhibition isn't so hot after all. It's quite conservative, clunky, and plain. Almost all of it is stained in the ubiquitous orange-brown (granny's favourite) colour.

Yes, there are some finely carved beds, closets, and tables which are very beautiful, and there's also nice garden furniture.

Yet, I have to say that the teak shops around Ban Tawai are already years ahead in terms of design and style. Some of these shops have picked up pan-Asian styles (Chinese, Burmese, Indonesian, etc.) as well as innovative, modern forms, whereas the teak offered in Talat Kam Tiang is basically the same that has been sold for the last 50 years.

Cheers, X-Pat

I sure wouldn't expect anything new from prisoners...

And Austhaied, if you think it's teak, then I'm not going to say anything to make you unhappy. :o

Went there today.

Cheers, X-Pat

I sure wouldn't expect anything new from prisoners...

And Austhaied, if you think it's teak, then I'm not going to say anything to make you unhappy. :D

Thanks Ajarn, that would be great. :o

Edited by Austhaied

Bought some garden furniture from the expo about eight years ago. It lasted two years, despite our best efforts of rubbing down, revarnishing and repainting etc. The wife eventually threw it out.

Think it would be okay in the shade/under cover, but it couldn't take sun & rain.