Thailand's $7 billion airport rail project off the ground after months of dispute

snoop1130

4 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

Will be very interesting to see if this goes ahead. BTS did a lot of research before they submitted their technically superior bid at a realistic price.

There will need to be some very clever project management from CP, but at least they can call on their previous experience with train projects such as .........???

Who knows !  Upper echlon staff from Thai Air might well be looking or jobs to use their vast experience in transporting people.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh the irony in the photo!

SRT acting governor Worawut Mala left and CP Group chairman Suphachai Chearavanont, right.

The man from one of the richest families in Thailand kowtowing to the most incompetent manager of any of the corrupt State run enterprises. Witnessed by an audience with bulging pockets.

CP Group.jpg

16 hours ago, Jan Dietz said:

No state project is meant to be profitable. If it were it would've been picked up by a private company.

It's meant to improve infrastructure for the public good, and job creation.

> The high-speed rail is expected to be up and running in 2023. It is estimated to create 16,000 jobs in the construction period and another 100,000 jobs in the next five years.

Absolutely agree. "for the public good, and job creation." and don't forget the other spin off benefits for the "well connected".

"CP Group and 12 other companies were selected for the project by Thailand’s former military government. They have been in negotiations with state agencies since a new government came to power after elections in March"

I must be a bit slow and missed some news. I thought these two "Thailand’s former military government" and the "new government" were both essentially the same. Obviously, I must be ill-informed.

2 hours ago, brucec64 said:

330 ticket price - the exact amount the Pattaya taxi mafia will charge for the last 2km from the station to home...

Walk me through that, umm, logic.  Have you heard of Grap App?  There will also probably be a baht bus route depending where the station is.

14 hours ago, andy72 said:

time to relocate those bar girls

but seriously there is no point whatsoever to link 3 airports in this way 

dmk-bkk ok 

but utp?

634172707_download(3).jpg.19b5807cd03c5123a724d1797ce59919.jpg

Why link a little used airport which is 30km from Pattaya and 70 kms from Rayong???? my distances may be out but the point is made I hope

1 minute ago, shdmn said:

Walk me through that, umm, logic.  Have you heard of Grap App?  There will also probably be a baht bus route depending where the station is.

The station will be in the middle of nowhere so all the tourists can get ripped off by the taxi to their hotels same as Phuket.

20 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

Oh the irony in the photo!

SRT acting governor Worawut Mala left and CP Group chairman Suphachai Chearavanont, right.

The man from one of the richest families in Thailand kowtowing to the most incompetent manager of any of the corrupt State run enterprises. Witnessed by an audience with bulging pockets.

CP Group.jpg

You forgot to mention the gleam dorky look on that middle character. What's that all about?

Anutin said he hopes all parties involved would focus on getting the job done and not on gains or losses from the contract.

With CP on board no doubt the highest returns on Brown paper envelopes is guaranteed. 

something that would have been much lower if an overseas company was involved. 

ROI

return on investment..!!

mai bpen rai...

Just concentrate on those fat juicy Brown envelopes. 

29 minutes ago, Henryford said:

The station wi tll be in the middle of nowhere so all the tourists can get ripped off by the taxi to their hotels same as Phuket.

Well one thing for sure they certainly cant allow 100 baht buses from Bangkok to Pattaya to continue to run at this cheap price and steal the trains coustomers...

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand's $7 billion airport rail project off the ground after months of dispute

Government projects - Wasteful spending on non-economical projects designed to fool the public into believing the government is doing something productive. 

4 hours ago, shdmn said:

1. Umm, No taxi in pattaya will go 2+km for under 300 bht. 

2. Umm, Grab is not much cheaper - 230 bht from North Beach road to the Bus station. Dark side into Pattaya will be even more.

3. Umm, I'm assuming the station will be on the dark side somewhere - how many baht bus routes do you take out there?

High speed railway off the ground or off the rails. No way I'm getting in a high speed rail in Thailand. Saftey first.....lol. very Happy I left that ****hole country 5 years ago. Living happily in a neighboring country with reasonable visa rules. Choke Dee krup!

14 hours ago, a977 said:

Obviously you don't live in Pattaya and have to put up with the s##t fight on highways 7 & 3 

damn tooting i dont live in Pattaya a <deleted> storm on the highway still aint no excuse for a 250kph HSR

how about just some decent traffic flow management and less bent coppers

14 hours ago, British Bulldog said:

I could be wrong ,but I think they is barely a railway in the world that actually makes a profit? (maybe the Japanese bullet train).

As has been said its a public service ,but how this one will pay for its self I do not know.

But it has to be better than leaving Paddington,London at 10 pm and having to stand for an hour no seats ,because the train due to leave before was canceled ........... due to shotage of staff was stated.  

WEll considering the Chinese have the most comprehensive HSR and they dont print figures 

but anyone who has been to china will tell you those trains carry thousands train platforms are like the length of a runway

& also thr fact that they just keep building them

its not just about passenger moveent its about freight

and its exactly the same thing with air travel the passenger side is never profitable

I`m all for railways, where there is a clear need and strong potential demand. Hard to see that it is jusyified here. Consider train from Suvarnabumi airport to Pattaya train station, then taxi. The train fare would need to be competitive with bus or taxi fare from airport but to do that large passenger volume is needed. What passenger/fare figures are being assumed for this project?

On 10/24/2019 at 9:00 PM, kickstart said:

But it has to be better than leaving Paddington,London at 10 pm and having to stand for an hour no seats ,because the train due to leave before was canceled ........... due to shotage of staff was stated.  

Exactly. When I returned from the UK back in June the train from Sheffield to Manchester Airport was late and already packed due to a cancellation. We had extreme difficulty getting the cases on to the train with so many people. Missing the train meant missing the flight.

For an unreliable railway system just look at the UK.

20 hours ago, Dice Man said:

Why link a little used airport which is 30km from Pattaya and 70 kms from Rayong???? my distances may be out but the point is made I hope

How narrow minded. You must think that no one lives along the route, the service will be of great benefit to people living in places like Chonburi, Rayong & Chantaburi.

Even more so with the new railway station at Bang Sue due to open in the next couple of years. There will be rail links from both Bangkok airports to the new station.

Once the infrastructure is in place the eastern seaboard will develop substantially.

And still no drinking water from taps (faucets for US). I don't if anyone has tried to

put the cart in front of the horse, apparently it does not work.

The TGV French train record is 574 km/hr, on RAILS, and that was over 45 years ago, ouch!

On 10/25/2019 at 10:00 AM, johng said:

The numbers are quite incredible..I'm having a hard time believing they built a 1300KM railway in 3 years including 244 bridges one of which is the longest in the world ?????   :w00t:

I'm thinking this is what happens when "one" does not have to deal with "beaurocracy".

Many places you have to go through months (years?) of Environmental Impact studies, Ridership Studies, land appropriation, and all kinds of things.  Maybe some safety studies and all that.

This is clearly an advantage of the Chinese government and systems there.

Archived