Subway Sandwiches And Reciepts

ZukiSuzuki

The company i work for in Thailand gives me an expence alowence every month, for this i must keep and then submitt all my expence reciepts to the accounts department.

Most places i go in Bangkok (including 7/11 etc) issue you a reciept without having to ask for one (i believe this to be law in Thailand?), other places you have to ask for the reciept and usualy are given it without any fuss. Now i have to say, Subway sandwich shops are a total different ball game here. The shop on Silom will give you a reciept if you ask them but usualy after a few glancing looks between the staff and then they print one out. Sukhumvit branches seem to be under the impresion that you have no right to ask for a reciept and have, on two occasions, point blank refused to issue one. Another time i got fobbed off with some story that the till was broken.

Now the plot thickens, while going through the reciepts this afternoon and getting them ready to hand to the accounts department i noticed something strange. On three of the five reciepts i have managed to ply out of them at the NaNa branch it stated that i had purchased a six inch sub rather than the foot long that had actualy been purchased.

Is this some sort of tax con or something? Or is it the staff being crooked?

I have asked a few Thai people who work in the office about this and they have given me their theories, now i would like to hear yours.

The company i work for in Thailand gives me an expence alowence every month, for this i must keep and then submitt all my expence reciepts to the accounts department.

Most places i go in Bangkok (including 7/11 etc) issue you a reciept without having to ask for one (i believe this to be law in Thailand?), other places you have to ask for the reciept and usualy are given it without any fuss. Now i have to say, Subway sandwich shops are a total different ball game here. The shop on Silom will give you a reciept if you ask them but usualy after a few glancing looks between the staff and then they print one out. Sukhumvit branches seem to be under the impresion that you have no right to ask for a reciept and have, on two occasions, point blank refused to issue one. Another time i got fobbed off with some story that the till was broken.

Now the plot thickens, while going through the reciepts this afternoon and getting them ready to hand to the accounts department i noticed something strange. On three of the five reciepts i have managed to ply out of them at the NaNa branch it stated that i had purchased a six inch sub rather than the foot long that had actualy been purchased.

Is this some sort of tax con or something? Or is it the staff being crooked?

I have asked a few Thai people who work in the office about this and they have given me their theories, now i would like to hear yours.

Its obviously a classic case of the opperators scamming the parent company.

In the North Pattaya branch, there is a sign asking all customers to get a receipt. And if the receipt is incorrect, they will give you a free six inch sub...

Cheers,

Soundman.

[quote name='soundman' date='2007-03-26 19:42:59' post='1219719'

In the North Pattaya branch, there is a sign asking all customers to get a receipt. And if the receipt is incorrect, they will give you a free six inch sub...

Cheers,

Soundman.

That's interesting, now what should you do when they refuse to even give you a reciept?

Cheers,

Soundman.

That's interesting, now what should you do when they refuse to even give you a reciept?

You make a note of the time and the branch and send a PM to Greg from Sunbelt. You will probably receive your receipt if you ask and there will be a shake-up at the Subway branch, do not expect to be served by that person again. Read the thread mentioned in one of the posts above. It explains the whole scenario, with variations.

You mentioned Silom, I think that is one of the ones he owns. :o It may not be the operator doing the scam.

The ones I've been to on Sukhumvit also have a sign saying if they fail to give you a reciept it's free. Get a pocket voice recorder if you don't already have one and turn it on before going in and then when they don't give you the receipt or give you the wrong receipt demand your refund and if they still refuse take your recording to the owner. The ones I've been to always give me a receipt and it's sometimes hard to get them to keep the receipt as I don't want it myself.

A bit odd as the Nana branch (as all possibly) use a computerized till system with pre installed price/data etc, which shows out on the customer LED screen…it even shows how many subway discount stamps you should get too?

Subway Nana has always been excellent for me, good friendly staff and always happy to help..coffee world staff also

It ain't just fast food outlets... I did a bit of shopping yesterday around the Royal Garden Plaza in Patters, and found about half of the (clothing) outlets weren't exactly forthcoming with receipts unless prompted... Or stubbornly insisted upon. Sometimes, I think cheating, backsliding, and subverting is the only time these morons show any originality or lateral thinking...? :o

I sometimes wonder how i drag myself out of bed each morning. Melting icecaps. Bird flu. The prospect of a global economic meltdown. The prospect of war with Iran and North Korea. Escalating tensions between militant Islam and the west.

And now I learn of the Great Subway Swindle.

That's it. I can't go on. It's just too much.

Sorry Bendix, it ain't over yet. Yesterday I went to starbucks and got a sandwich (horrible as it turned out) and a bottle of water. 110 baht was the total I gave him 1000. When Mr Bucks gave me my change he had omitted the 90 baht. I stood and looked at it for a moment (I am a bit slow) and showed it to him. He didn't even draw breath but put his hand to the side of the till and got me change for me all the while exchanging worried glances with his oppo. :D I did ask him who the manager was, but his pretty fluent English skills seemed to have deserted him. He even had the brass neck to point to the tip box :o

I think cheating, backsliding, and subverting is the only time these morons show any originality or lateral thinking...? :o

By " These morons ", do you mean Thai people in general, or just the people who work in The Royal Garden Plaza?

Now you start to understand...

Sandwiches ? Here is a real story in the industry business.

A trading company import containers of special paints. They do the packaging in 1 kilos can. Guess what ? The little hands put 0.9 kilo in each can. And 0.1 in their on the side cans. And then resale... to some of the company own customers (with the complicity of some rotten purchase managers)!

Nice profit when you have a salary of 8000 THB per month...

The company was very proud to have a top notch software inventory system, blablabla... But they were fooled.

On another scale, an export manager will cheat on his receipts abroad, to increase his allowances, etc.

Between those, whatever scam you can imagine, thai staff will do it. And even more. :o

At that point, you need to understand that it's not the "rotten apples in the apples bag" syndrome.

No. It's a system. Global, wide, shared.

From the bottom of the ladder to the very top. For 1 or 5 THB profit, to billions of THB.

I sometimes wonder how i drag myself out of bed each morning. Melting icecaps. Bird flu. The prospect of a global economic meltdown. The prospect of war with Iran and North Korea. Escalating tensions between militant Islam and the west.

And now I learn of the Great Subway Swindle.

That's it. I can't go on. It's just too much.

Please, don't go to the toilet thread then, Bendix. We might lose you over the edge.

kinda obvious.

they take ur money, give the change, and then put the right amount in... they charge u for a footlong, but put it in as a 6 inch..

they keep the change...

welcome to thailand.

Yep Thailand's the only country this happens in. :o

considering this is Thai Visa Thailand Forum where by defination posts must be related to Thailand ,

what is your point ?

If you really want to avoid a major rip off, I will give you some free advice..................

Never lend money to a Farang who has spun you a tale about how his money is being sent over next week, and could you lend him some until then..... good chance you will never see the money again.

I also lost out to the tune of 60,000 Baht to some so called friend, ( Farang ), who was a cheating lying useless <deleted> as it turned out.

Judging by my own experience in Thailand, Farangs are the ones to be wary of when the rip offs are being performed, people fall for the scam so much easier because they are off guard when dealing with one of their own kind in a foreign country.

Up to you at the end of the day, but in my own experience, watch out for Farangs, there are many that would not hesitate to rip you off, especially those that seem to want to hang out in Thailand living on a pittance, rather than going back to their own country.

The Thais are ok in my opinion, considering the crap they put up with from obnoxious arrogant Farangs.

:o

Edited by Maigo6

"Never lend money to a Farang who has spun you a tale about how his money is being sent over next week, and could you lend him some until then..... good chance you will never see the money again.

Judging by own experience in Thailand, Farangs are the ones to be wary of when the rip offs are being performed, people fall for the scam so much easier because they are off guard when they are dealing with one of their own kind in a foreign country."

Seen it quite a few times myself and exactly as you point out - farangs deperate to stay in Thailand by any means.

I have been helped out before myself though and the money returned pretty quickly but I had know the guys in question for years and they had know me a long time. Lots of scammers but some genuine cases - look what he wants the money for ie a little for everyday expenditure or money to go out on the piss - if its the latter take care!

And of course these are incidents isolated only to Subway outlets.

All other such outlets are completely honest and above board ...... honest guv ! :o

on the contrary! once i a while i buy a bunch of bananas or a few mangoes from street vendors. these guys are quite stubborn and never issue a proper receipt. that drives my chartered accountant who prepares my annual balance sheet crazy.

quote: "how can i prepare a correct profit&loss statement if you are incapable to provide correct documentation?"

:D

And of course these are incidents isolated only to Subway outlets.

All other such outlets are completely honest and above board ...... honest guv ! :o

on the contrary! once i a while i buy a bunch of bananas or a few mangoes from street vendors. these guys are quite stubborn and never issue a proper receipt. that drives my chartered accountant who prepares my annual balance sheet crazy.

:bah:

:D:D:D:D

The experience you've had with Subway Nana comes to no surprise to me. One or may be two of the Subway shops on Sukhumvit rd are owned by Sunbelt...

What do you mean by that comment?

Also Sunbelt does not own these stores. I myself am a major shareholder of six Subway stores just like I am with Sunbelt. Each company has different genuine investors.

For anyone that has had an invoice issued wrong. I hope you accept our deepest apologies. Please pm and we’ll issue a correct one.

As for Nana, we unfortunately have had computer problems. My wife has been on the phone for hours and hours with Subway in Australia to get the problem solved with the software. (One day, it was nine hours straight!) Subway Corporate knows about it as the weekly report with this store has had the same exact numbers for three straight weeks. The problem was rectified finally last week.

If the bread is counted and this seems to have happened at more than 1 branch are the suppliers selling the shop staff extra bread?

No. Many checks and balances exists. The distributor is not the supplier.

Greg Lange

Managing Director

Sunbelt Asia

I'm just wondering what a staff member at Subway gets paid. It obviously isn't McDonalds wages.

The staff at Subway seem well trained, can usually speak English (at least Subway Lingo) quite well. They also seem reasonably well presented in the grooming stakes.

Anybody know?

Soundman.