3 months stay in a hostel in Chiang Mai

Hello everyone,

I'm a solo traveler 31M looking for a hostel to stay in Chiang Mai for 3 months (maybe longer if I do a visa run).

If you know the owner of any of them, I would appreciate that you get me in touch. I think that in this way I can get a better rate. If not, I will just book a couple of nights and negotiate once I'm there.

This is the list of hostels that I'm considering:

• Bodega Chiang Mai
  • @Box
  • Bunchun

Do you know any of them?

Do you have any other suggestion of hostel that at least has a bit of social life?

I took the list from this page: https://partyhostels.org/Chiang-Mai

9 minutes ago, felipeiro said:

f you know the owner of any of them, I would appreciate that you get me in touch. I think that in this way I can get a better rate

Nah they will give you the walk in rate. Stick with websites eg agoda etc

Bring some good books as you will be tucked in bed well before 11pm

Book a couple of nights through Agoda, then explore. Ask to see the rooms and get rates. Then go back to your room ( with WiFi ) and book through Agoda for what you like. The rates will be jacked up automatically for foreigners walking in.

Price with agoda are usually higher. The owner has to pay 20% commission to them.  I will never book in advance, unless it is a holiday and packed. I will always show up and check the room first because those reviews are BS. If i like it can negotiate and if it turns out the rooms i cheaper online i pull my laptop and book it!

Usually you can rent a room in a guesthouse for a month for 5000 bhat. A room that might cost 600 a night usually. You can always hang out a the hostel at night to meet people. Not sure why you would want to sleep beside drunk strangers, who might steal you stuff for 3 months, but wat ever...

19 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

Price with agoda are usually higher. The owner has to pay 20% commission to them.  I will never book in advance, unless it is a holiday and packed. I will always show up and check the room first because those reviews are BS. If i like it can negotiate and if it turns out the rooms i cheaper online i pull my laptop and book it!

Usually you can rent a room in a guesthouse for a month for 5000 bhat. A room that might cost 600 a night usually. You can always hang out a the hostel at night to meet people. Not sure why you would want to sleep beside drunk strangers, who might steal you stuff for 3 months, but wat ever...

Ive lost count of the times Ive stayed in a room booked on Agoda and wanted to extend another night only to be told by reception a 20% higher price " can you match agoda? sorry sir no can" So I sit in the lobby and fire up agoda and do the booking right there

What your saying is wrong. If Agoda charged more they would not be in business

3 hours ago, madmen said:

Ive lost count of the times Ive stayed in a room booked on Agoda and wanted to extend another night only to be told by reception a 20% higher price " can you match agoda? sorry sir no can" So I sit in the lobby and fire up agoda and do the booking right there

What your saying is wrong. If Agoda charged more they would not be in business

It all depends on the demand, the season you are booking. Some hotels will lower the price for people booking well in advance or for the last minute, if you book the evening you are arriving.  Also if it is a big hotel the manager may have to follow policy from the big boss.

Agoda takes 20% commission, so why won't a hotel pass that discount to you when booking direct? Again if it high season or simple the attitude the hotel may have.  If you already booked with agoda then extending directly with the hotel may be against their contract.

Personally i got burned a few times with booking rooms, that turned out to be <deleted>. So i will not book in advance unless absolutely necessary.

It gets down to supply and demand. If they have an empty hotel, then most cases they will offer a bargain.  It helps if you show up in the morning without a backpack and canvass a few hotels, then you are in a good position to bargain. Also the number of days, if you say you will stay a 1 week, then more bargaining power.

The place i am right now was listed 1300Rs + fee's per night. I showed up in the morning after staying somewhere else and bargained for 1000 per night that i might stay for a week.  He has since lower the price online to 1075 + fee's. (these are rupees, i'm in India.)

I've had the same experience in Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia.

1 hour ago, Don Chance said:

Personally i got burned a few times with booking rooms, that turned out to be <deleted>. So i will not book in advance unless absolutely necessary.

I solve the bad room problem by only renting the best hotel in any place I go. Easy enough to sort it out with a bit of research.

53 minutes ago, andy72 said:

OP is 31 ^ wants to book a party hostel!

<deleted>imageproxy.php?img=&key=de238a8f491e857fimageproxy.php?img=&key=de238a8f491e857fimageproxy.php?img=&key=de238a8f491e857f

Chiang Mai party thats just sad 3 months in a dorm getting drunk with a bunch of strangers that just keep rotating whilst you stay like some sad lonely no mates drunkdfghjk.jpg.4bd14b655e5bab48e24af7d471d55f79.jpg

imageproxy.php?img=&key=de238a8f491e857fimageproxy.php?img=&key=de238a8f491e857f

dfghjk.jpg

I will never go to Chiang Mai. 

1 hour ago, Don Chance said:

Make two bookings, 1st booking for 1 or 2 nights, 2nd booking for the rest of the time.

Then use the free cancel within 24hrs of start date, if the room is no good the 1st night.

4 hours ago, madmen said:

Ive lost count of the times Ive stayed in a room booked on Agoda and wanted to extend another night only to be told by reception a 20% higher price " can you match agoda?

Totally disagree. I always call direct if i can, cheaper than agoda or booking.c

Archived