Taxis want price hike and resolution of conflicts with Grab

webfact

Taxis want price hike and resolution of conflicts with Grab

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTU4Ni83OTM0OTU5L3RheGkuanBn.jpg

Thai caption: We want a price hike

Sanook reported that transport minister Saysayam Chidchob will today receive a report from the Department of Land Transport regarding the raising of taxi fares and relationships with application call services or Grab. 

DLT chief Jirut Wisanjit said that he expects taxi operators and Grab will meet with regulators in early November to discuss the way forward. 

Sanook further reported that the chief of taxi operations at Suvarnabhumi airport Phallop Chayinthu has also requested an early November meeting with the minister regarding changes at the airport. 

That meeting is set for Thursday week, November 7th. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-10-28

I have never gotten into a GRAB car that did not have seat belts in the back for my family.

I have never been told by a GRAB car that they won't take me where I want to go.

I have almost never been in a GRAB car that tailgated the cars in front.

I don't have to worry about getting change from a GRAB.

I don't have to worry about getting blown up from an LG tank in the back of a GRAB.

I could probably think of a few more.  

Anyone else?  F the Taxis.  Many of them are decent, but too many are not.

So their logic is to raise prices, keep doing things the same, same and negotiate with Grab who are already undercutting them and offering a better service. Yep that will work. Mmmm let's beat up Grab drivers as their customers look on an videos fill the Internet. Yep that's also working well for you...... NOT!!! 

38 minutes ago, Scot123 said:

So their logic is to raise prices, keep doing things the same, same and negotiate with Grab who are already undercutting them and offering a better service. Yep that will work. Mmmm let's beat up Grab drivers as their customers look on an videos fill the Internet. Yep that's also working well for you...... NOT!!! 

I have just returned back to Thailand and In Cambodia, where I have just come from, it is forcing tuk tuk drivers to do the opposite.

They are now being forced to drop their prices and get competitive with Grab and Passapp. otherwise they will be out of business.

Gone are the days where the tuk tuk drivers could do a couple of temple tours and spend the rest of the week getting <deleted> with their mates!

Also, they cannot try the taxi mafia tricks in Cambodia that the Taxi thugs have got away with in Thailand for far too long.

Anytime any business calls on government to regulate a competitor it is because capitalism and competition is encroaching on some form of monopoly that they have.  If taxi's can't make money as a taxi maybe they should convert to Grab.  

Worth noting a few things.  First off, and most important, after the excellent professional service from Grab (drivers are reviewed by passengers and drivers want to keep the work) is to ask if over the life of a car, is it as profitable as it might seem for the driver? Especially if the Grab driver pays his business registration and taxes as of course does every taxidriver.

Second, it's also worth pointing out that many of the grab drivers are actually taxi drivers in the first place, using the taxi for grab generated business.

And third point, while taxi drivers and grab drivers are doing fine, the drivers who are losing out, are the songtao. The red trucks, like their drivers, are alas little bit old and smokey. Were they to eliminate themselves, it would be a straight fight between taxi and Grab. In a market economy, the customer decides. Why should this be any different?

I recall about two months ago a taxi price increase had been approved that was commencing in Nov / Dec of this year on TV.. Same flagfall as current 35bht but higher km charge and wait in traffic charge. It was between 5-10% extra from memory. 

So why is this resurfacing again? 

I thought the deal was done. BTW Grab taxis have meters same as normal taxis, same tariff rates. Only difference is a 20bht booking fee when booking Grab from their app. 

Most Grab taxis are spotless, great drivers, no ripoffs.. I say most, but not all. At least you can complain via the app because you rate all ride experiences.. Good or bad. 

"chief of taxi operations at Suvarnabhumi airport Phallop Chayinthu"

More Thai Greed, this guy might want to get his own house (taxi operations) in order before he comes around with his hand out (begging) Again!

3 hours ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

I have never gotten into a GRAB car that did not have seat belts in the back for my family.

I have never been told by a GRAB car that they won't take me where I want to go.

I have almost never been in a GRAB car that tailgated the cars in front.

I don't have to worry about getting change from a GRAB.

I don't have to worry about getting blown up from an LG tank in the back of a GRAB.

I could probably think of a few more.  

Anyone else?  F the Taxis.  Many of them are decent, but too many are not.

But I had a grab driver who looked more to his mobilephone as to the street. This changed first after I complained!!!

Thailand is the last country in Asean where hailing a taxi from drivers without commercial licences via mobile apps is illegal, apart from Laos where no such service is available.

That pretty much says it all.  Why is Thailand so different? (answer not required!)

14 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I assume Grab drivers make a profit, otherwise they would not be there. Has anyone explained to the taxis raising prices makes Grab more attractive to customers?

You can explain something to someone.... but you can't help them understand it !

grab out of Thailand!

It is a half foreign company just sucking the blood of locals. same a grab food leaving no profit for the local restaurants! 

and really most farang have zero idea what they are saying.

a taxi driver needs to invest around 2 million baht for the plate and the related toyota corolla car.

but a grab car driver invests only 200 k thb for the small econo box car and nothign for license plate. please have an idea!

hence those taxis are furious.

i had no problems with taxis here more than back home too. it is cheap and efficient. 

grab is also getting expensive and once it is a monopoly, it will be more expensive and you farang will all cry and moan. 

but it will be too late then.

On 10/28/2019 at 4:32 PM, hotchilli said:

Meaning we want to charge what we like & Grab kicked out of the country to protect the monopoly of services!

you have zero idea.

it is Grab, a foreign based company, about to be a monopoly and once they are, they will charge your farang a   s    .s as much as they want.

i support the local taxi drivers. read my post above too and have an idea.

Archived