MAC user desperate for help Mojave upgrade

RLAretired

I'm desperate, really, for help with my MacBook Pro.  Trying to upgrade Sierra to Mojave.  In my App Store page, Mojave upgrade simply doesn't appear.  Download from Apple Support doesn't download.  What to do?  Where to find someone who can do the upgrade from Sierra to Mojave on a MacBook Pro Late 2013.  I doubt the local Mac service center will even touch such an old Mac.  I don't know where to turn.  Any guidance will be much appreciated.  Thank you.

Pro Tip: Always download the latest OS from the App Store even if you dont want to instal it.

This will place a copy of the Installer in your app folder. Learn how to create a bootable copy

of the OS on a USB stick...there are free programs (DiskMaker) that let you do this.

For your Mojave instal, try this.

http://osxdaily.com/2018/09/29/download-full-macos-mojave-installer/

Edited by JHolmesJr
  • Like 1

@jHolmesJr - Thank you for that "Pro Tip".  Unfortunately, App Store does NOT show Mojave on this computer.  It simply is not there.  So I went to the OSXDAILY link.  Thank you for that.  I printed out the instructions and will follow the steps.   (And yes, I already have backups of everything on two different external drives.) 

18 minutes ago, RLAretired said:

@jHolmesJr - Thank you for that "Pro Tip".  Unfortunately, App Store does NOT show Mojave on this computer.  It simply is not there.  So I went to the OSXDAILY link.  Thank you for that.  I printed out the instructions and will follow the steps.   (And yes, I already have backups of everything on two different external drives.) 

Yeah...usually you have to check the 'purchased apps' section....if you downloaded Mojave earlier, you can do so again, otherwise it won't show there.

My tip was geared towards the current OS..Catalina....I just downloaded it and the Installer is now in my apps folder. 

Now, if I like I can take a newly formatted 8GB USB stick, fire up DiskmakerX and make a bootable Catalina drive.

In case I want to use it ever.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

Yeah...usually you have to check the 'purchased apps' section....if you downloaded Mojave earlier, you can do so again, otherwise it won't show there.

Maybe that's the problem.  I never purchased Mojave.  Was it a paid upgrade?  If so, I'll pay, but where and how?  I searched on AppStore for Mojave and got nothing but incidential apps.  What did I miss about Mojave?

At the App Store download site, signed in with my App Store user ID, trying to download Mojave:  The little progress bar has not moved at all in 1/2 hour.  Other downloads/uploads work fine -- proof is the screen image below.   What to do?   (Sleepless in Seattle?  I am totally lost on a computer in Bangkok!)

430781060_Screen66.jpg.bcc1e494cb7e3c2d7c3b7d6f182f5afe.jpg

Thank you @JHolmesJr, very much.  Your advice led me to a successful clean install.

On 10/28/2019 at 11:35 AM, JHolmesJr said:

download the latest OS from the App Store

I did that.

Learn how to create a bootable copy of the OS on a USB stick..

Searched for instructions and did that.

For your Mojave instal, try this.
http://osxdaily.com/2018/09/29/download-full-macos-mojave-installer/

That was exactly what I needed to get started.

Decided to do clean install in a separate partition.  Will be a lot of work to re-install apps, set preferences, etc, but had not done that since 6 years ago !!    Next time I buy a computer, I'll look for a "self-cleaning" model.

• Like 1