actuator

Farangwithaplan

I'm looking for an actuator the moves in 90 degree rotation. I want to flip something that is lying horizontal on the ground up to 90 degrees. Not a lot of load. Max I would imagine would be 0.5 NM. Probably half that would be sufficient.

Most of the actuators I see run off a central shaft. That means the motor would be sticking above horizontal. I want the have the centre of the shaft equal with the horizontal level but I want the motor under the horizontal. That means I need a 90 degree uni joint or elbow - I imagine.

Two questions - bearing in mind my terminology might be wrong.

1. Do you know of a cheap actuator I can buy to experiment with. Even something not to my full force spec is fine.

2. I want to run this actuator off a rechargeable battery that uses solar to charge it... Will actuate up to twice a day. Any ideas on calcs.. I have no idea how to start.

Could you post a quick sketch of what you want to do?

There's all manner of actuators both linear and rotary on AliExpress.

Once we get a real idea of the load we can choose an actuator and sort it's power supply arrangements.

I just re-read my post and it is a little cumbersome. I have attached two sketches. The "below horizontal" sketch was my original idea. But that may not have the benefits that I was originally looking for.

After considering it again, the second "above horizontal" sketch will probably be suitable. There will be a direct connection of the arm to the actuator/motor shaft with no offset and therefore no need for uni joints and additional shafts or bushes to hold it.

It just means the arm will not rest parallel to the horizontal ground. I would also need to program to allow for adjustment of the arc angle so that the arm or what is attached to the arm rests on the horizontal ground surface neatly.

The smaller the physical dimensions of the actuator the better.

Actuator above horizontal.pdf Actuator below horizontal.pdf

Thanks, Crossy. It also has an offset shaft. - Edit: I see the term is eccentric.

I can handle the limit switches and the programming for that. And I'll look into a crossover option to change polarity.

I found this site. It should get me started. https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/tools/solar-calculator.html

Edited by Farangwithaplan

No idea what I really want at the moment. But thanks for the additional idea. This may be useful!

I first considered a stepper motor, then a shaft actuator, then what I called an actuator but as Crossy pointed out was really just a motor.

I'm just reading through the pros and cons of all before I decide. I use a few different devices to see first hand their benefits.