Does Thailand Make Internet Service Slow On Purpos

bkk_mike

My brother was doing some simple tests of the latency between our machines (slight lag on the IP telephony).

He pinged his own DNS server - and got a response time of 60ms (thinking it was a bit slow, but the server is 500 miles away - he works with fibre networks at work, but usually fairly short ones of a few miles - so is used to 0ms reported response times).

He then pings my DNS server (Asianet one) and gets a response time of 395 ms. (not bad considering it's half way round the world - no satellites involved there).

I then ping my DNS server 203.144.255.71 (I live in Bangkok - and presume the DNS server is there also) and my response time is never less than 550ms.

What's going on?

- He's using ADSL too, from Scotland. Same speed of service.

Is the network artificially slowed down for some reason?

Or does Asianet uses some sort of satellite link to connect to it's DNS servers...

Throughput seems to be fine - but what's up with the latency?

Hi Mike,

try a trace route to your nameserver, then you'll see how many hops it takes to get to your server, and where the delays are!

Go into command mode (<start> <run> type CMD and run)

then type "tracert 202.183.255.21" without the brackets... (this is the IP from a cscoms dns server, replace with IP of your choice)

I was surprised in seeing more hops in getting from Pattaya to my Thai dns server compared with getting to that server from the US :o

To do a tracert from outside Thailand use following website:

http://www.dnsstuff.com/

You might experiment withe every thai DNS server you can get an IP of (using both tracert and ping commands). I use CsLoxinfo as my provider (iptv) and had a great increase in dns resolving response just by changing to a different dns server!

as usual i think the answer is obvious:

In the rest of the world Isp's and internet providers know what they are doing. In thailand they dont or dont want to know about any improvements 'loose face'.

Reminds me of the time i had to train a congolese guy to becoming the first ISP in congo. We sold them all of our outdated 14.4 modems and equipment , they were ever so happy :o

I then ping my DNS server 203.144.255.71 (I live in Bangkok - and presume the DNS server is there also) and my response time is never less than 550ms.

What's going on?

- He's using ADSL too, from Scotland. Same speed of service.

Is the network artificially slowed down for some reason?

Or does Asianet uses some sort of satellite link to connect to it's DNS servers...

I get 118ms pinging from my dialup connection in bangkok and less than 2ms using Inet's public traceroute at http://www.inet.co.th/cgi-bin/trace . Sounds like the problem is at the ADSL side or between the ADSL network and AsiaNet.

Have been doing some pings and tracert's from several dns servers in thailand, but never got more then 150ms. The DNS servers from my own ISP respond in around 120ms with 7 hops to reach them. Most other ISP's take 2 or 3 hops more and around 15-20ms more.

Note that this is using only my dial-up connection. When I kick in the satellite from my IPTV, ping times shoot up around 200ms. Have response in around 350ms most of the time. Using IPStar (2-way sattelite) response times are around the 500 ms mark...

It pays to get out of BK server network....try to use a proxy server outside of the masses.... find some down south that increase speed for you and not so congested..that way you just pass through your isp and get better returns for your money on another server.

• 3 weeks later...