A long exceptionally cool season... really?

Brunolem

Since early October, the Thai weather forecasters have been telling us that, starting October 17 (that's some precision), the country would enter in a long dry and exceptionally cool season. 

Well, that may be true for the Northern part of Thailand, but here in Eastern Isaan, we have rather entered extra time in the rain season. 

Very cloudy skies with almost no sunshine, high humidity, storms with rain, thunder and lightning (as I am typing these words). 

In short, no sign at all that we are about to enter the so-called winter season. 

As a matter of fact, I am convinced that, for the ninth year out of the last ten years, we won't have a cool season. 

My best indicator: my electricity bill, which hasn't gone down since April... 

• Haha 1

Well, Brunolem, i have good news for you, if few degrees more or less is the only thing that bothers you, you are having a pretty good life !

Other good news is, that soon rain will stop and temperatures will drop, i can tell you that just by watching the calendar ! ????

• Like 1

Can only hope. One day, week, month, season at a time.

Last year in Bangkok went went right through the cool season with temps blazing. I don't even recall any chilly weather.

For me it's not the heat per se rather it's the extreme heat for long periods of time. The nights not cooling off. High humidity. The concrete in BKK sure can't help. It's to the point I'd love Florida weather...

• Like 1

On 11/2/2019 at 4:46 AM, Pilotman said:

Fairly cool in the daytime here in Rayong district and night time can get positively cold, by around 4am.  Pool too cold for me in the early morning. 

I just left that area a week ago and it was nothing as you describe. Checked the Ban Chang weather and lows are in the 70's.

• Confused 2

On 11/2/2019 at 8:30 PM, EricTh said:

It's still hot as hell during daytime in Chiang Mai. So the weather forecaster is wrong.

I think winter really starts around third week of november.

The department is reading last years report!

On 11/2/2019 at 6:27 PM, Brunolem said:

Well, that may be true for the Northern part of Thailand

Yep you are right.

Northern Isaan here.

No rain in October, wonderfully cool in the evenings and first thing in the morning, no daytime humidity, feels like December.

Best time of the year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I live on Samui....What is this cool season thingy????

I have been here 14 years and the coldest it ever got in the daytime was 24C.

The locals were all going round with jackets on! :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Edited by Mario666

3 hours ago, Mario666 said:

I live on Samui....What is this cool season thingy????

I have been here 14 years and the coldest it ever got in the daytime was 24C.

The locals were all going round with jackets on! :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Don't you remember December-January 2010-2011? That was the "coldest" period I can remember during my years in Thailand. I have never seen so many thai people wearing jackets and scarves. In bars they refused to turn on the fans.