Phenylephrine in thailand - Sinus Medicine

craige1

Hello friends,

I take in my home country phenylephrine tablets for my sinus problem. 

So, from what I can understand the tablet containing only phenylephrine is not available in Thailand but it comes with a combination of paracetamol. (I can be wrong, lemme knw)

Now, is it Legal to bring phenylephrine tablets into Thailand ? 

PS: I cannot take combination tablets coz I will be drinking daily and paracetamol cannot be combined with alcohol. 

PLEASE HELP

16 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You may need a doctor's letter confirming your need for it. Phenylephrine can be converted to methamphetamine with laboratory equipment, which is why most governments clamp down on its use.

I think you're thinking of pseudoephedrine..... which is the medicine that actually works for sinus issues, and can only be obtained here now by doctor's prescription via a hospital.

Phenylephrine is the relatively ineffective successor that the pharmacy industry switched to after the other medicine became restricted as the new OTC sinus medicine, which doesn't work at all for a lot of folks.

It's better to just bite the bullet, go to a doctor, and get a prescription for pseudoephedrine. The pseudoephedrine prescription I get here is 100% pseudoephedrine -- it's not mixed with any other medicines.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I think you're thinking of pseudoephedrine..... which is the medicine that actually works for sinus issues, and can only be obtained here now by doctor's prescription via a hospital.

Phenylephrine is the relatively ineffective successor that the pharmacy industry switched to after the other medicine became restricted as the new OTC sinus medicine, which doesn't work at all for a lot of folks.

It's better to just bite the bullet, go to a doctor, and get a prescription for pseudoephedrine.

You are right... phenylephrine is not reported to be misused. 

Can you pls pls do me a favor and check out on med shops if just phenylephrine tabs are available in next 3 days ? 

Edited by craige1

1 minute ago, craige1 said:

You are right... phenylephrine is not reported to be misused. 

Can you pls pls do me a favor and check out on med shops if just phenylephrine tabs are available in next 3 days ? 

I don't use it, as it's worthless for me. But AFAIK, there are no restrictions on its use or your ability to obtain it OTC from pharmacies here. I believe, they probably have phenyl only tablets, and also phenyl tablets mixed with other meds like paracetamol.

25 minutes ago, craige1 said:

I take in my home country phenylephrine tablets for my sinus problem. 

There are Boots pharmacies in every mall, and they carry Beconase. 

Best OTC sinus medicine in Thailand from my experience

10024248.jpeg

43 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It's better to just bite the bullet, go to a doctor, and get a prescription for pseudoephedrine. The pseudoephedrine prescription I get here is 100% pseudoephedrine -- it's not mixed with any other medicines.

Both can be converted to methamphetamine, although the dehydroxylation of phenylephrine requires sophisticated laboratory equipment. An ordinary citizen buying that type of lab gear would get some searching questions.

On 11/4/2019 at 4:10 PM, Lacessit said:

Both can be converted to methamphetamine, although the dehydroxylation of phenylephrine requires sophisticated laboratory equipment. An ordinary citizen buying that type of lab gear would get some searching questions.

I think the pertinent point here for the OP is...

--phenylephrine-based medicines are freely available in all local pharmacies without any restrictions on purchase or use.

--pseudoephedrine-based medicines here are only available by doctor's prescription from a hospital pharmacy, and no longer from retail pharmacies on the street.

As I mentioned above, for folks with sinus problems, pseudoephedrine is pretty widely considered to be a considerably more effective sinus medication.

• Like 1