US truck driver Pim becomes an Internet sensation

webfact

9 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

Maybe bragging?

She's a truck driver, not a rock star!

Don't know if she's bragging or not and many people have a Facebook page do you?She does seem to be a pretty truck driving internet star but I fail to see how somebody writing a story about her story and 45,000 people choose to hit the like button makes her a show off bragging about her success.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Don't know if she's bragging or not and many people have a Facebook page do you?She does seem to be a pretty truck driving internet star but I fail to see how somebody writing a story about her story and 45,000 people choose to hit the like button makes her a show off bragging about her success.

No i  most certainly do not have or use FB, i despise it ( plus i only have 2 friends ).

If she's not bragging why mention the 1M p.m? Could quite simply have said "i'm a truck driver in the US living the dream", no?

I think it's great she's done something and got out of this place, i don't think it's great she's showing off but......that's the Thai way...

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

From a quick Google search and she drives in America according to the article.

"The median annual wage for a trucker that works for a private fleet, such as a truck driver employed by Walmart, is $73,000, according to ATA. The Labor Department pegs the median annual salary for all truck drivers at around $40,000. But it isn't an easy job to fill. There's 1.6 million truck drivers in America.Oct 9, 2015"

• Like 2

She could be making a bit more if providing some intimate therapy at truck stops.

Blow and go, quicky in the sleeper. 

Maybe an extra $2000 a month there or 60,000 baht 

Don't hate me - have become a lecherous old man who envisions willing females in every profession :clap2:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jonclark said:

Good Grief - A young girl has gone abroad and actually made something of herself and yet many of the people on here can only be bitter, moan and make snide comments that the rules in the country which they have chosen to live prohibit them from the same success / opportunities.

Can i respectfully point out that left she high school (not uni) and went into truck driving in Thailand, and for a 16 - 18 year old girl to drive a truck in Thailand takes some gumption, but she was determined and kept at it and is now reaping the rewards.I am sure she faced many challenges and obstacles. Likewise if people here who moan about the laws of the land showed the same degree of determination in making a success of their time here, despite the obvious hurdles and hoops to jump through they would all probably be happier and more content in the place they have chosen to live. 

Agree 100%. 

I read ThaiVisa news on a daily basis. Going on ten years now. Had an account once but found it a waste of time to add thoughts or perspective to any story or comments from other members. I did however follow and add many post's on the story way back about the Australian couple, man a convicted pedophile, adopting a child from a surrogate in Thailand. I now only read for comedic relief. 

After reading johnclark's post I registered a new account for the sole purpose of commenting on his post. For me, johnclark has in a very simple manner confirmed how bat....crazy the majority of members are. As usual, the majority have pulled away from the meat of the story, failed to appreciate, and some how, once again, made it about themselves, their plight, and how unfairly they are treated in Thailand. Work permit, is the profession on the no go list, does she filll out a TM 30, etc., etc., etc. Complete stupidity. I will now close my newly registered account, continue to read ThaiVisa for comedic relief and ponder how so many people went so wrong in life. Thank you.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JaiLai said:

1M baht a month, think that might be a little bit exageratted........just a bit.

Once again angry with the numbers ..
Ah! Thai without calculator ...
let's say rather 1 million baht a year and we will be much closer to reality and provided that this work is done in the USA;
because if it is in Thailand we can still divide this figure by much more.

5 minutes ago, lexilis said:

Somebody upthread posted this link https://www.indeed.com/salaries/Owner-Operator-Driver-Salaries.

The info looks to be credible. It says the average long-haul owner-operators in the US makes $222,480 per year. 1M Bt. per month is feasible (again for an owner-operator).

I did not go see the link but having been an international trucker in Europe for 40 years, I know that the so-called salary of 1 million baht a month is not realistic.
it's over $ 30,000 a month;
no American road driver earns such a sum per month.

It may be the monthly turnover of a guy on his own but certainly not his monthly salary.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

making more than Bt1 million a month

Yes, perhaps, but the wording of the sentence does not necessarily mean she is making 1 million baht a month from just truck driving!  I have driven across the USA coast to coast well over 20 times in my time as a contractor working in many states, as a military guy getting re-assigned every few years, etc.  A lot of things go on at some truck stops, that don't really have much to do with driving a truck.  Just saying.. open your minds to other ways she could be making 1 million baht a month.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

Once again angry with the numbers ..
Ah! Thai without calculator ...
let's say rather 1 million baht a year and we will be much closer to reality and provided that this work is done in the USA;
because if it is in Thailand we can still divide this figure by much more.

"Pim started as a truck driver in Thailand right after graduating high school, but now works abroad, US truck driver, truck driver in the United States" "provided that this work is done in the USA"

Comprehension level seems pretty low. I am overly eager to read your 12,000 additional posts. Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Babalooey3 said:

"Pim started as a truck driver in Thailand right after graduating high school, but now works abroad, US truck driver, truck driver in the United States" "provided that this work is done in the USA"

Comprehension level seems pretty low. I am overly eager to read your 12,000 additional posts. Thank you.

Isn't the average wage in US around 50,000 dollars.

Average truck driver 45,000.

Edited by overherebc

2 minutes ago, Babalooey3 said:

Please excuse the error. Additional 5,000 posts. Thank you.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Babalooey3 said:

I would have no idea. I suspect a google search would provide an approximate answer. Thank you.

TheStreet  "Using information from the fourth fiscal quarter of 2018, the BLS claims that in that quarter, the median income for a full-time wage or salary worker on a weekly basis was $900. For a 40-hour work week, this translates to a yearly income of approximately $46,800. This is a 5% increase on the previous year."

12 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Isn't the average wage in US around 50,000 dollars.

It's not an answer to you overherebc , sorry , but to Babalooey3

No, it is not .

For a US trucker it's about 50,000 a year ! not a month ...

You do not know anything about this hard work or you often work 70 to 80 hours a week;
I did it for 40 years driving semi trailors  of 35 to 120 tons on the roads of almost every country in Europe.
Averaging 150,000 km per year; in 40 years it is 6 million km ...
Although well paid, I was really far from earning the equivalent of US $ 32,000 per month ( per year, yes and often a little bit more )
I went to East Germany, Poland, Ukraine behind the Iron Curtain;
I knew Franco's Spain and Salazar's Portugal, but as a Thai , I guess that does not tell you anything at all ..

Edited by Assurancetourix
  • Like 2