need help understanding visa exemption

we are thinking of traveling from march until end of april without applying for visa

is this possible?

flying roundtrip to bangkok from san francisco

if we land on march 2

-we plan to spend first two weeks in bangkok

-visiting singapore (one week), malaysia (one week) and indonesia (one week) and the rest within thailand

how does the 30 day visa exemption work in this case?

thank you in advance for any assistance

I assume

1. you are US citizens; and
  2. you have no or limited time in Thailand in the past.

If this is correct, your plans seem fine. You should receive visa exempt entries each time you arrive in Thailand, allowing a 30-day stay.

Beware! If you decide you like Thailand, you will not be able to spend really long periods in Thailand using serial visa exempt entries.

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I assume

If this is correct, your plans seem fine. You should receive visa exempt entries each time you arrive in Thailand, allowing a 30-day stay.

Beware! If you decide you like Thailand, you will not be able to spend really long periods in Thailand using serial visa exempt entries.

correct both us citizens

we visited 2 weeks 2018, 2 weeks 2017, 2 weeks 2016

when you say beware can you explain?

12 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I assume

Arriving from US in 2 weeks--as noted in past...was there last year from august-dec--been home 11 months

Hoping for 30 day-extend up north--head to mae sai for another 30 day and extend that=120 days and then head home......sound good?   been staying for 4 months last 2-3 times, then come home to work for a year

Sorry as Ive hounded u about this but all the visa drama has me a bit spooked flying into Bkk and Im kicking myself as I was gonna flt right into CNX.....

47 minutes ago, hifarang said:

No problem to do what you want to do.

47 minutes ago, hifarang said:

You apparently will not be doing what he wrote about so you can ignore that for now.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, hifarang said:

correct both us citizens

First, you will have no problems.

For information only in your case, those spending many months in Thailand on visa exempt entries are liable to encounter Immigration telling them that they are misusing visa exempt entries, and denying entry (at which point your airline will fly you back to where you came from).

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

Arriving from US in 2 weeks--as noted in past...was there last year from august-dec--been home 11 months

Hoping for 30 day-extend up north--head to mae sai for another 30 day and extend that=120 days and then head home......sound good?   been staying for 4 months last 2-3 times, then come home to work for a year

Sorry as Ive hounded u about this but all the visa drama has me a bit spooked flying into Bkk and Im kicking myself as I was gonna flt right into CNX.....

I believe you will be OK. That said, a tourist visa in advance would be better than flying in visa exempt.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I believe you will be OK. That said, a tourist visa in advance would be better than flying in visa exempt.

Understood but with some saying thats not even working Im gonna roll the dice

Have NEVER arrived with a visa since coming since 2008..always did the crappy laos run...tnx!

21 minutes ago, BritTim said:

First, you will have no problems.

For information only in your case, those spending many months in Thailand on visa exempt entries are liable to encounter Immigration telling them that they are misusing visa exempt entries, and denying entry (at which point your airline will fly you back to where you came from).

Wow great thanks! Originally thought it was total 30 days no matter what.

Sounds like we should take advantage of the NEW 30 days exemption after flying back to Bangkok from Indonesia

visa exempt "guidelines" have been stated as unlimited by air originally then 6 times per year on alert and then not exceeding 90 days within any 6 month period from the date of first entry (as per Q&A from MFA Kingdom of Thailand)

i'm arriving late nov with my third visa exempt within 6 months and not exceeding 90 days - my intentions are to comply with this 6 month "rule" 2 times per year ie total of 6 visa exempts per year (28 days per visit)

i am 68 years old, retired and reside in australia when not holidaying in thailand 

has there been a further tightening of the screws whereby i can get turned back?

i have noted that tourist visa's are being limited to 2 per year - no longer my preferred option anyways 

38 minutes ago, Bvor said:

visa exempt "guidelines" have been stated as unlimited by air originally then 6 times per year on alert and then not exceeding 90 days within any 6 month period from the date of first entry (as per Q&A from MFA Kingdom of Thailand)

90 days in any rolling 180 days came first as an official regulation but was rescinded years ago.

The 6 VE entry alert has been going for several years. It’s not a set limit but simply a tool for the IO. If the alert is triggered the IO should check/asses your history before allowing entry. The alert is set at 6 because 6x30 = 180.

It is the time spent in the country as a tourist they are looking at, not the number of entries.

So as it stands — by air — there is an unofficial line in the sand of 180 days but it doesn’t mean automatic denial. The decision is down to the IO on a case by case basis. A visitor could be denied entry for less than 6 entries or 180 days, or allowed in with more entries/days.

i'm arriving late nov with my third visa exempt within 6 months and not exceeding 90 days - my intentions are to comply with this 6 month "rule" 2 times per year ie total of 6 visa exempts per year (28 days per visit)

i am 68 years old, retired and reside in australia when not holidaying in thailand 

has there been a further tightening of the screws whereby i can get turned back?

i have noted that tourist visa's are being limited to 2 per year - no longer my preferred option anyways 

Some Embassies/consulates limit the amount of repeat Tourist Visas (TR) they will issue, but there is no set limit or alert for immigration regarding TR’s. Again the decision of when enough is enough is down to the IO and senior officer at passport control. 

There is an official regulation limiting 2 VE entries — by land — from Jan 1st to December 31st each year.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

thx for reply

but i'm really none the wiser and will enter the minefield until rejected

i don't work anywhere and don't own anything in thailand - just holiday

if thailand doesn't want me to continue 15 years of holiday spending i'll have to say goodbye to my pattaya friends and change holidays to bali 

i wonder what replaced the 90 day 6 month recission????

up to some i/o and/or some "senior officer" lacks proper authority

one persons long time is another persons short time  

elviajero,

i should qualify my "none the wiser" comment

your reply was very comprehensive and i thank you for your time and consideration

however i cannot find any official reference to a rescission of the 90 day 6 month stance or what is now in its place

can you provide a reference source?

the MFA Thailand Immigration website still refers to it as if it is current as does the royal thai embassy london website (I have copies of both for I/O attention) - that is unless these websites have not been updated

regards

Bvor    

14 minutes ago, Bvor said:

however i cannot find any official reference to a rescission of the 90 day 6 month stance or what is now in its place

It was over a decade ago that this rule was in place, and it was only for visa exempt entries, not those entering with a visa. It is time consuming tracking down the official announcements of introduction of such rules and their cancellation. When this rule was cancelled, it was not really replaced by anything. Serial use of visa exempt entries by land was deterred by only giving 15-day entries at land crossings (shortly thereafter amended to 30 days for citizens of G7 countries). Much later (mid 2014) it was announced that Immigration would prevent people spending more time in Thailand on visa exempt entries than was consistent with tourism (with a directive from the prime minister that this be "enforced flexibly"). The latest visa exempt entry rules are maximum twice by land in a calendar year (30 days for all standard visa exempt entries) and the policy from 2014 when entering by air.

There are no official rules for those entering with a visa issued by a consulate. You need to listen to reliable authorities (which include a handful of the posters here) to get a sense for unofficial rules often being applied to those with visas at particular entry points into Thailand. The best guidance you can expect is a risk assessment. The outcome is never certain at those entry points with unofficial, unannounced rules. If the detention room is full, an official might force you to buy an expensive flight as a condition of permitting you to enter Thailand.

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

No problem to do what you want to do.

You apparently will not be doing what he wrote about so you can ignore that for now.

@ubonjoe this brings up a similar question for me. 

I have been in Thailand for over 8 years on extensions to an original O-A visa from the US. I leave for the US on December 12 and my current extension expires on December 25. When I come back to Thailand in mid-January, I am planning on coming in visa exempt and then heading to Laos to pick up a non-O retirement visa before coming back to Thailand. Do you see any issues coming in on a visa exempt after being in Thailand on extensions for that long? Also, will I need a ticket for onward travel? I am planning on going to Laos from Chiang Mai by motorcycle.

Thanks

David

29 minutes ago, Genericnic said:

@ubonjoe this brings up a similar question for me. 

I have been in Thailand for over 8 years on extensions to an original O-A visa from the US. I leave for the US on December 12 and my current extension expires on December 25. When I come back to Thailand in mid-January, I am planning on coming in visa exempt and then heading to Laos to pick up a non-O retirement visa before coming back to Thailand. Do you see any issues coming in on a visa exempt after being in Thailand on extensions for that long? Also, will I need a ticket for onward travel? I am planning on going to Laos from Chiang Mai by motorcycle.

Thanks

David

Your airline is likely to insist on an onward flight ticket before checking you in, if you plan on using a visa exempt entry. You might be able to sweet talk them into waiving the requirement if you offer to sign an indemnity form. I would not count on that.

Immigration should be OK.

1 minute ago, BritTim said:

Your airline is likely to insist on an onward flight ticket before checking you in, if you plan on using a visa exempt entry. You might be able to sweet talk them into waiving the requirement if you offer to sign an indemnity form. I would not count on that.

Immigration should be OK.

I'll pick up a cheap flight just in case.

Thanks

David

BritTim

thx for advice

i get what you are saying, it more than peeves me that official regulations are replaced by inconsistent "rulings" by I/O officials

according to current MFA Immigration Thailand website 90 days in 6 months is the regulation for visa exempt's

what is your take re this website info?

2 hours ago, Bvor said:

i get what you are saying, it more than peeves me that official regulations are replaced by inconsistent "rulings" by I/O officials

according to current MFA Immigration Thailand website 90 days in 6 months is the regulation for visa exempt's

what is your take re this website info?

Not sure what website you are looking at. Immigration is not under the MFA.

The 90 days in 6 months rule was rescinded in 2008.

hi ubonjoe

thx for your reply

att are my "current" reference sources

are they "old" rules not updated or "new" rules rescinding former rescissions - phew!

by the way in a previous post i incorrectly stated my intention to do VE's 3x28 days in 6 month periods.

i should have said 2x28 days in 6 month periods

the plan is approx mar, june, sept, dec in thai rest in oz (4 in 8 out)

in terms of risk assessment what do you think are my chances of VE's

being approved - good guy enters bkk by air with return ticket, funds, accommodation, etc 

cheers

Screenshot (1).png

Visa exempt- Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Kingdom of Thailand.pdf Visa Exempt - Royal Thai Embassy, London.pdf

41 minutes ago, Bvor said:

att are my "current" reference sources

are they "old" rules not updated or "new" rules rescinding former rescissions - phew!

Just old outdated info on those websites. Immigration sets the rules for visa exempt entries not the MFA.

16 hours ago, Bvor said:

i cannot find any official reference to a rescission of the 90 day 6 month stance or what is now in its place

can you provide a reference source?

the MFA Thailand Immigration website still refers to it as if it is current as does the royal thai embassy london website (I have copies of both for I/O attention) - that is unless these websites have not been updated

regards

Bvor    

it wasn’t 90 out of 180 days (as is most often quoted), nor 180 days out of every year (as is often quoted).

The limit was 90 days out of the previous 6 months. And that law only pertained to visa exempt entry. 

The current police order explicitly states that there is no limit on the number of visa exempt entries (by air) or amount of time spent here.

Order Issued 8 September 2006
Effective 1 October 2006
Repealed 25 November 2008   … see http://supibee.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/pdffile/thePeriodofStayforForeigners08012009.pdf

Could you please post your links to the outdated/incorrect information?

judokrab

many thanks

very clear although I/O and some TV members may not think so.

i will copy the police order for attention of I/O and hope it passes the "enforce flexibly" test

i firmly believe that i'm in full compliance - too old and arthritic for detention cell and/or immediate return flight  

i'm no expert google surfer but try (as per top of my downloads) 

- ministry of foreign affairs, kingdom of thailand - thailand visa information

- royal thai embassy, london - tourist visa