Cannabis in Thailand: How far will the green gold rush go?

webfact

Cannabis in Thailand: How far will the green gold rush go?

cannabis-plant.jpg

FILE photo

Despite its stigma in much of Southeast Asia, a new law in Thailand allowing for the research and development of medical cannabis is blazing a path for the crop's production and opening new economic opportunities.

Thailand made headlines all over the world last December when it became the first country in Southeast Asia to legalize cannabis for medical use and research purposes, sparking a race to cash in on what could someday become the country's main cash crop.

Full legalization was a core policy of the Bhumjaithai party's campaign in the March 24 election, which helped it win the fifth most seats in Thailand's new parliament.

The government has also made the development of the industrial potential of the drug one of its priorities, saying its study and development "should be sped up for the medical industry to create economic opportunity and income for the people."

Full story: https://www.dw.com/en/cannabis-in-thailand-how-far-will-the-green-gold-rush-go/a-51146025

-- DW 2019-11-08

• Haha 1

It will just end up being a "gold rush" for farmers to produce cannabis, just like rice, palm oil, rubber and every other crop de jeur, that the Government eventually has to subsidize because the supply exceeds the demand and Thai cannabis is lesser quality that other places.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about cannabis.

2 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

I think that the best that recreational smokers and users of ganja can expect in Thailand for many years to come will be lower fines and perhaps almost zero attempt to enforce the law. 

Don't hold your breath that the law will change any time soon, because it wont. 

Rooster

I thought that holding ones breath increased the euphoric effects.:cheesy:.I was wondering if the more tolerable approach by authorities might already be in effect.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, NCC1701A said:

Cannabis is illegal in Thailand.

How are those clinics in Bangkok selling oil doing? Still open?

As far as I know they are I've taken a bit of a rest after three successful orders but I feel an increasing urge for some medicinal use!

3 minutes ago, DLock said:

It will just end up being a "gold rush" for farmers to produce cannabis, just like rice, palm oil, rubber and every other crop de jeur, that the Government eventually has to subsidize because the supply exceeds the demand and Thai cannabis is lesser quality that other places.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about cannabis.

Well I certainly hope so,Thai strains have also been bred with increased quality and THC levels which might be a legal way around their attempts to restrict growing of certain species.

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'm sure my family could grow some top quality product with a little help.

Is it something that Thai farmers are considering, or would consider, perhaps with some guidance from someone who knows the ins and outs?

I'm just curious.

If I was a Farmer, it's certainly something I'd be looking at.

36 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I thought that holding ones breath increased the euphoric effects.:cheesy:.I was wondering if the more tolerable approach by authorities might already be in effect.

nope, my friend's dealer who used to sell a kilo for 15k just sold him a dud kilo for 18k and when he rang to complain he had been arrested for selling. my friend is now in a dry spell. 

Edited by briansbiology
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, DLock said:

Is it something that Thai farmers are considering, or would consider, perhaps with some guidance from someone who knows the ins and outs?

I'm just curious.

The way the officials have been talking about the upcoming market they don't want external help or investment. They know better. 

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I fail to understand the reluctance to full legalise and include recreational use and have heard no valid arguments against recreational use,what are they so afraid of?I've often been "off my face" perhaps it is this loss of face that frightens them!

Most boils down to a foreign country engaged in the "War on Drugs" - can you sing red white and blue - cutting off funding if any foreign country even considers going the decrim / legal route.

No shiny new fighters, tanks, and all the other 'Must Haves'

Reduction or elimination of foreign aid

Can you say Blackmail

Edited by canthai55

34 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Medical cannabis has been legal for almost a year now. 

yes. a very narrow and specific end user. from only a few licensed hospitals.

Cannabis is illegal in Thailand. Many people are getting the wrong information coming to Thailand now thinking it is OK to be in possession of Cannabis. It is not. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

yes. a very narrow and specific end user. from only a few licensed hospitals.

Cannabis is illegal in Thailand. Many people are getting the wrong information coming to Thailand now thinking it is OK to be in possession of Cannabis. It is not. 

It's legal for medical purpose. It's like saying prescription drugs are illegal. 

57 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

I think that the best that recreational smokers and users of ganja can expect in Thailand for many years to come will be lower fines and perhaps almost zero attempt to enforce the law. 

I think this is probably the best summation of what will become reality.Time will tell what happens if/when the proposed draft bill goes through parliament which predicted to happen next March.The ability to get a prescription for the treatment of pain could almost be considered a legal loophole as pain is pretty hard to prove or disprove and seems to rely on the say so of the "patient".

Floating chocolates and other munchies outside of the submarine will mean the hatches open and the crew leap into the water to munch away, 

not a shot fired from the invaders, 

shopping centres isle of lollies and chocolates and chips will need to place security guards to stop the devouring of product prior to reaching the till.

the pee pee test by the side of the road will change to offering chocolate bar and if you go for them you get fined for driving while stoned,  how many points will be attached to the charge,

some serious slow drivers will cause many an accident.

masses don't give a sh### now about road deaths so having THC in the system will only make them even more blasé.

1 hour ago, Jane Dough said:

Don't hold your breath that the law will change any time soon, because it wont. 

Rooster

It is only for the Thai. Don't even try doing it if you are a foreigner. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tayaout said:

Medical cannabis has been legal for almost a year now. 

...and yet I don't see it being grown anywhere and they are still sending cannabis from drug busts to be used in 'medical research' which tells me there is little if any actual supply from 'authorized' growing operations (like, what authorized growing operations).

But what the heck.  Every month that Thailand drags it feet it loses market share to countries whose governments are actually supportive to what will be a multi-billion dollar industry in the future.  <yawn>

Keep them feet draggin'...

tenor.gif.73952c8335f1e5d2068f06fe34e36b29.gif

Edited by CALSinCM

1 hour ago, DLock said:

I'm just curious.

I'm already making self-watering germination/seedling starters from old Pepsi bottles.

Cherry tomato seeds in this one in case you were wondering, finding it hard to buy seeds that germinate in Thailand.

cherry.jpg

• Like 1

Won't come far as this is Thailand, they are behind for no reason already. Only good thing people can hope for is not having legal issues using it.
Reason? Xenophobic behaviour, wanting to re-invent every wheel and not allowing foreigners to do the job properly.

Edited by tabarin

9 minutes ago, CALSinCM said:

...and yet I don't see it being grown anywhere and they are still sending cannabis from drug busts to be used in 'medical research' which tells me there is little if any actual supply from 'authorized' growing operations (like, what authorized growing operations).

But what the heck.  Every month that Thailand drags it feet it loses market share to countries whose governments are actually supportive to what will be a multi-billion dollar industry in the future.  <yawn>

Keep them feet draggin'...

tenor.gif.73952c8335f1e5d2068f06fe34e36b29.gif

You don't see it but there is several place that try to grow it: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/significant-developments-in-cannabis-farming-in-thailand

They busted a field not far from where I live and told the owner to get a license and he did. 

It tooks my country 17 years from medical to recreational cannabis legalisation. As far as I know the government never managed to grow any quality cannabis. It was provided by gray and black market dispensary. 

Edited by Tayaout

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sarabrittanysomerset/2019/09/02/thailand-includes-low-level-cannabis-and-hemp-extracts-on-its-approved-medical-marijuana-list/#222ddfc27883

So far, only hospitals and research facilities are allowed to apply for licenses to develop medical extracts from cannabis, but businesses see an opportunity,” according to Reuters.

CBD extracts from cannabis and hemp plants containing less than 0.2% THC, were removed from the Category 5 narcotics scheduling, according to a Thai regulator. Under the terms of Thailand’s Measure for Suppressing Narcotic Offenders Act, which is similar to the United States’ current federal drug scheduling system, Category 5 includes psychedelic mushrooms, cannabis and kratom. Category 5 drug offenses are actionable by up to 15 years in prison and fines of up to 1.5 million baht ($48,954).

https://www.voanews.com/east-asia-pacific/thailand-rolls-out-medical-cannabis-dont-expect-another-canada

The 5-milliliter bottles are being rolled out to 12 hospitals across the country that will in turn dole out doses to the first 4,000 registered patients. Somsak Akkslip, director general of the Health Ministry's Medical Services Department, told VOA that those hospitals could start prescribing the medicine as soon as the end of this week.

about 4000 people so far. all else illegal. that goes double for foreign man.

• Thanks 1