building perimeter wall around my land

madbathroomfitter

hi to all hope someone can give some advice on building a wall around my land. i have a small plot with my thai wife obviously over about 400sqm and we are one side is roadside and other three sides back on to 1 side her brothers land and the other two sides her neighbours I'm hoping that i can build a nice wall on all sides with front having sliding gate and maybe small walk through gate. some of the perimeter has bits of wall that are frankly a mess my plan is to hopefully knock them down and rebuild a proper wall which will be continuous and of a good standard therefor benefitting me and my neighbours at no cost to them. when i suggested this to my wife she thought i was mad saying what's wrong with some of the wall that's already there and if i want wall build it in front of what's there already which is crazy to me a wall next to a wall. does anyone have any experience in building perimeter walls mainly foundation wise how far apart would the concrete posts be and basically construction method as i would quite like to get going with this asap. 

If there is a wall there already you need to establish who it belongs to and on which side of the wall is the boundary line.

I had to build my boundary wall inside the neighbours post and wire fence on two sides.

I wasnt overly pleased when a week after i finished, they removed their  crappy fence.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, madbathroomfitter said:

how far apart would the concrete posts be and basically construction method as i would quite like to get going with this asap. 

If you navigate this website from what I have posted it can instruct and calculate everything for what you need. 

https://theconstructor.org/concrete/concrete-calculator-slab-beam-column-footings/19717/?utm_source=pushengage&utm_medium=pushnotification&utm_campaign=pushengage

It has being a long while since we build our perimeter wall in Khon Kaen , so can't assist on prices since the have changed; But I can assist on the process.

It was built 2012 ,  2m high sides and back , 1m in the front with another  1m of picket fence on it.  we paid 500 bht per linear Meter  for labor and we bought the material, When it was all said and done it cost about 1200 bht per L/M .

A trench was dug and every about 3m ( cant remember and not there now to measure , but from the picture it loos like 3m ) and every 3m a square footing pad was dug. and rebar was set for the footing beam and columns.

image.png.d8bcfab72ff4e4a1bfffe541faf06b76.png

Footing beam was poured

image.png.e07d1308e946b940f8e558ff8772db4d.png

walls for the front 1m high section

image.png.7bd61646ff06a31af33c64442efae533.png

sides and back 2m high sections. a tile was imbedded for decoration.

image.png.1c1b53e64aebe9e91502599c513678e8.png

The wall sections were secured together with reebar

image.png.2a7b79b469a62273da6e6e9235f55bb8.png

Forms were constructed in the spaces left between the wall panels for columns, please not the rebar sticking out at the appropriate level in the front sections , there to provide an anchoring base for the picket fence as we will see later.

image.png.422c74c531f5cc9e362b73d80dc28cdf.png

Make sure they vibrate to reduce honeycombing.(voids in the concrete) 

image.thumb.png.65a3707f343a756803902101d9040b09.png

Top beam was poured

image.png.9b14b2da580db33f16d5ebf3fd79b9a8.png

Metal welded to anchoring points shown earlier

image.png.9c4837951f5b23f2ecd980a203909a39.png

Fence rendered, pickets and gate installed

image.png.681ed6f9b3002d024b5c05d9c6a6c3be.png

image.thumb.png.e3908b0abcd56432a2e34cb9489f1e3e.png

I hope this helps.

I don't know why that last picture repeats but I cant get it out , so enjoy it twice :smile:

image.png

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, madmen said:

are walls built to keep relatives out as appears to be the case with OP? So why build a house there in the first place?

I've never understood this apparent need to build a wall. I like every breath of fresh air I can get. Security is not an issue where I live, if it was I probably wouldn't live here.

Edited by emptypockets

40 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

I've never understood this apparent need to build a wall. I like every breath of fresh air I can get. Security is not an issue where I live, if it was I probably wouldn't live here.

Not only did we build a wall. but we build 'The wall"

Our neighbors to the right build but , buildup their property too high and were able to see over our wall. The wife complained to me about itm while I  was  back in the US on business and i told her to call back our builder and have him add something to the top of our wall to make it taller. 

This is what I came back to, LOL 

Keep in mind the original wall is 2m high.

image.png.5bfc05a9d34f8f33212658b390334565.png

Edited by sirineou

thanks sirineou that was really helpful with photos seems straight forward enough i think a wall much better than hedge although i don't have empty pockets i probably just not got deep enough pockets for that construction lol. also trying to pin down the local builder more difficult than i thought he says already to busy which i also understand. my wife says not possible to employ some labour as all builders have a team they work with and would only work on a price basis rather than a day rate per person per day as i do myself mostly in england and he says can't give me rough idea of price because he cannot do the work crazy.anyway this is what I'm thinking, using precast fence posts 4x4 something like that 2m apart i figure you still have to dig the trench for footing and say 600x600mm where posts are i would be saving time with the rebar method there seems to be many walls in my village built this way and are still standing lol i guess that's the main reason for the rebar method so its all tied together better? surely if the posts are set in the ground deep enough and have enough concrete around them this should be sufficient ? any other advise about labour would be good too thanks