Crazy Phuket Hotel Prices 12/26 - 1/04/20

DrPhibes

On 11/10/2019 at 1:59 AM, phuketrichard said:

Oct 19 is LOW season.
Dec 26th-Jan 4th is PEAK season .

prices are usually double or even tripled+ the mandatory new years eve meal

always been like this

Precisely , been the same for the 20 years or so I have been visiting Phuket, the seasonal pricing is probably more extreme than anywhere else in Thailand.

The upside is that May - October you can find some really good deals.

On 11/9/2019 at 10:53 AM, RuamRudy said:

IIRC, hotels generally pay around 15% commission to these booking sites so if you can speak directly to the manager or front desk, they would be much happier to cut out the agent.

You’ll be surprised at how much that DOESNT work. I’ve stood in front of the desk with my iPad showing them the better price and they still don’t budge and watch me book it right in front of them! The Thick Gene!

• Like 1

On 11/9/2019 at 12:17 PM, madmen said:

90 % of hotels will make this blatant rip off standard for new years. 5k Baht for a 250 baht asian buffet, not a bad mark up at all 

I am picking this comment at random but am amazed at how many people complain because the prices go up in high season. Try booking a flight during Thanksgiving, or a room during New Orleans Madrid Gras, or Rio de Janeiro Carnival. My favorite example of up mitigated greed is during the San Francisco free Hardly Strictly Blue Grass Festival. During the 3 day event I’ve heard people rent out there apartments for $US7000 for the 3 days. The point is -greed is not specific to Thailand. If anything, given the chance, Americans gouge astronomical prices with the excuse that that is the going rate. Thailand has a long ways to go to be as greedy as we are in the USA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Onrai said:

I am picking this comment at random but am amazed at how many people complain because the prices go up in high season. Try booking a flight during Thanksgiving, or a room during New Orleans Madrid Gras, or Rio de Janeiro Carnival. My favorite example of up mitigated greed is during the San Francisco free Hardly Strictly Blue Grass Festival. During the 3 day event I’ve heard people rent out there apartments for $US7000 for the 3 days. The point is -greed is not specific to Thailand. If anything, given the chance, Americans gouge astronomical prices with the excuse that that is the going rate. Thailand has a long ways to go to be as greedy as we are in the USA.

Agreed and it’s only the high end resorts, hundreds of smaller hotels around Phuket, Patong even where this is not the case.