"Please lock him up for a long time" - Ya Ba son captured after trying to incinerate dad

rooster59

1 hour ago, faraday said:

How would you feel if your son or daughter became addicted?

I realise you question may not be directed at me but I find it a very interesting and pertinent question and since it has happened to me I will attempt to answer.

Basically I felt emotions,I felt numerous emotions,I felt a need to try and help and to try and find solutions I felt empathy for my wife's distress,I felt empathy for son's (step son) plight as I have seen him suffer from a condition over which he seems to little or no control and I can say without a doubt that I have never witnessed such suffering.I've listened to him at night literally screaming at the demons in his mind.I have despised his behaviour failing to comprehend or forgetting the severity of his condition.I have let emotion dictate my responses to his behaviour which has exacerbated rather than helped.

I have started to restrict emotions from dictating my responses and can see the benefits of doing so as I am just as much an emotional hot head as he is.I've decided to enjoy the challenge because if you enjoy what you do you perform better which is a theory I used coaching basketball to great effect because if one is worried about winning or losing you fail to enjoy playing the game and performance suffers if you fail to enjoy playing the game you don't play you sit on the bench and let the next player have a go and you sit there until it's your turn to go back on.So that's how I feel! 

9 hours ago, faraday said:

How would you feel if your son or daughter became addicted?

This is a valid point......

I can't answer it as i've never had children.

In my younger days my best friend became an addict, i never talked to him for about 8 years until a chance meeting.

An addict can only be helped if they want to.

Archived