Where to buy a netbook locally?

Hal65

If my computer ever breaks down I want to be able to go to a physical store to buy a netbook to cover me while a full sized laptop is being shipped from the US or other place where deals are good.

What stores sell netbooks around here? A low end model (around 3,000 thb) would be fine.

Try a Intel Compute Stick...full windows 10 computer on a 1" x 4" x 1/2 form factor that plugs into an HDMI port on a Monitor or any size LED TV just have a USB Keyboard Mouse combo available and you're off and running (Bluetooth is better)

Available on Lazada they will deliver C.O.D.

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?spm=a2o4m.home.search.1.1125719c5fYyOJ&q=intel compute stick 2&_keyori=ss&clickTrackInfo=textId--2615681965921943769__abId--135803__pvid--d9555d9f-a8f4-4e94-aee1-a136600f0126&from=suggest_normal&sugg=intel compute stick 2_0_1

Intel Compute Stick.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Nonsense for an avid reader. The Kindles are much lighter, last app 2 weeks on a charge, gentle on the eyes when reading. 

Yes, I don't think he should buy a netbook.

Where in his post did he say about being a reader? In fact the last thing in the world you'd want to read off of is a netbook.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mosan said:

Try a Intel Compute Stick...full windows 10 computer on a 1" x 4" x 1/2 form factor that plugs into an HDMI port on a Monitor or any size LED TV just have a USB Keyboard Mouse combo available and you're off and running (Bluetooth is better)

Available on Lazada they will deliver C.O.D.

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?spm=a2o4m.home.search.1.1125719c5fYyOJ&q=intel compute stick 2&_keyori=ss&clickTrackInfo=textId--2615681965921943769__abId--135803__pvid--d9555d9f-a8f4-4e94-aee1-a136600f0126&from=suggest_normal&sugg=intel compute stick 2_0_1

Intel Compute Stick.jpg

These are just stupid.

You can run raspberry pi for half this. But what do you do with it? Plug it into the TV I don't have? All the wireless clutter. Mouse, keyboard...

38 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Yes, I don't think he should buy a netbook.

Where in his post did he say about being a reader? In fact the last thing in the world you'd want to read off of is a netbook.

Ops, looks like you are right, he did write netbook, sorry.

2 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

These are just stupid.

You can run raspberry pi for half this. But what do you do with it? Plug it into the TV I don't have? All the wireless clutter. Mouse, keyboard...

Why are you always such an a**hole?  The man said he wanted a backup in the event his system bit the dust.  Go back and read the original post...said his budget was about 3000 Baht!  

And who in hell wants to deal with a Raspberry Pi and all the extra <deleted> that entails... A compute stick is plug and play!

Edited by mosan

31 minutes ago, mosan said:

Why are you always such an a**hole?  The man said he wanted a backup in the event his system bit the dust.  Go back and read the original post...said his budget was about 3000 Baht!  

And who in hell wants to deal with a Raspberry Pi and all the extra <deleted> that entails... A compute stick is plug and play!

I don't see raspberry pi any different than this Rube Goldberg device. Same peripherals. But I wouldn't recommend either. Netbooks very portable. This literally needs a TV to function. Then add wireless keyboard and mouse.

My recommendation is a tablet. If he wants a keyboard that can be added. I don't even think they make netbooks any more. They were crowded out by Chromebooks which I'd not recommended given their shortcomings.

I am a web developer so this would be a "get me by while the real laptop ships from overseas" computer. Some areas of programming require beefy PCs but website work can be done on anything. For something like a tablet I would need an external port for a keyboard though.

Thanks for the suggestions so far 

9 minutes ago, Hal65 said:

@moontang. Thanks for posting a local place.

Did you mean JIB though? I searched their site for "netbook", 0 results: https://www.jib.co.th/web/product/product_search/0?str_search=netbook&cate_id[]=

Yes, JIB.. Try chrome book or notebook.. The term netbook may not be used here.. Also.. Newegg. It will take you to their Thai site. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, moontang said:

JB Computer is decent... You are highly likely to have to pay duty on a computer.. probably 30%, of cost plus shipping. T3 tablet from Huawei for about 3000.. Chrome books about 6500....all in one PC for about 9000.

"You are highly likely to have to pay duty on a computer.. probably 30%..."

That's incorrect, computers are not liable for import duty.

You could buy a decent second hand full sized laptop for cheap, and do a fresh install, and then keep it as a backup. 

Plenty of second hand or pawn stores here, and also TV classifieds, as well as a popular website for foreigners selling second hand goods which I am not sure I can mention on TV.

Edited by Leaver

39 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

"You are highly likely to have to pay duty on a computer.. probably 30%..."

That's incorrect, computers are not liable for import duty.

It is certainly not a free ride... Customs, duty, excise.. It is all a bite in the ass.  Maybe you can explain why they used to collect deposits from people bringing laptops in... 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, moontang said:

It is certainly not a free ride... Customs, duty, excise.. It is all a bite in the ass.  Maybe you can explain why they used to collect deposits from people bringing laptops in... 

It certainly is, imported laptop computers do not attract import duty.  

Edited by Just Weird

5 minutes ago, moontang said:

Computers are liable for 7% VAT on import, no other duties.

1 hour ago, Mattd said:

Computers are liable for 7% VAT on import, no other duties.

A lot of the name brand stuff, like HP, run 30% more here, than US.. monitors even more.  Some of the big ones will not give global warranty, though.  Looks like you are now paying 2000 for a win 10 home license... Less than it used to be...people commonly spend more time "fixing" Windows in one day, than I have in 6 years of Chrome book ownership.  I would probably buy anhp or Lenovo all in one here, if I had too.  Had good luck with cords and peripherals here, but have noticed a huge supply of fake SD cards going around.. Jib seem trustworthy in that regard.  They did a study on USB, and found a lot of it isn't 3, but 2, and the 2 can be a 1..but that is a global problem.