Partioning Hd That Has Vista On It

Gumballl

I've tried today to partition a HD that has Vista on it, but I had trouble doing so, possibly because I am using "old" versions of System Commander and Partition Manager. Tomorrow I will give Partition Magic 8.0 a shot.

Anyhow, has anyone successfully re-partitioned an HD with Vista on it, and if so, which application did you use?

Thanks.

You can't do any partition work on the active partition.

(The one that's being booted from).

You have to run partitioning tools from a boot CD, to re-partition the system drive.

I like to use Acronis Disk director to do this.

Sabajja -

Thanks for the reply. Using Partition Magic, I have been able to re-partition the drive while booted into Windows (the 2000 flavour). Of course, after the changes where made, I had to reboot. The two apps I used today (Partition Manager and System Commander) were older versions that did not recognize Vista, even though it was installed on an NTFS partition. Thus I was unable to do anything with those apps. The former app, SysCommander, runs as you stated... during boot up before the resident OS is loaded. Still, it didn't work. Anyhow, my copy of Partition Magic 8 was stowed at home, thus I will have to wait until tomorrow to return to work with it to give it a shot.

Crushdepth -

If there is a built-in partition manager in Vista, please let me know where it is. I wonder if fdisk is available, and if so, would it work for my needs.

BTW, after I repartition the drive, I want to install Red Hat onto the newly created space.

Guest Reimar
Sabajja -

Thanks for the reply. Using Partition Magic, I have been able to re-partition the drive while booted into Windows (the 2000 flavour). Of course, after the changes where made, I had to reboot. The two apps I used today (Partition Manager and System Commander) were older versions that did not recognize Vista, even though it was installed on an NTFS partition. Thus I was unable to do anything with those apps. The former app, SysCommander, runs as you stated... during boot up before the resident OS is loaded. Still, it didn't work. Anyhow, my copy of Partition Magic 8 was stowed at home, thus I will have to wait until tomorrow to return to work with it to give it a shot.

Crushdepth -

If there is a built-in partition manager in Vista, please let me know where it is. I wonder if fdisk is available, and if so, would it work for my needs.

BTW, after I repartition the drive, I want to install Red Hat onto the newly created space.

Using Acronis Disk Director 10 should do the work! This version run on and with MS Vista as well and is an excellent tool for all disk operation.

Edit:

But be carefull, may RedHat needs to be installed on the primary Partition and want work on the secondary! Some Linux pGM needs to be installed omn the primary partition.

Edited by Reimar