It's Official!

Maejo Man

Money vs health, which is more important? The governor seems to think that it can be brought under control. My question to the govenor is why isn't it under control?

Tourism rules northern haze decision

By Bangkok Post Reporters today

Despite high levels of air pollution in the North, provincial governors have refused to declare their provinces disaster zones again for fear this will affect tourism during the upcoming Songkran festival.

Chiang Mai governor Wichai Srikwan said the dust is a minor problem and it can be brought under control.

Thick smog set in on Sunday - two days after the Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai governors lifted their disaster zone status.

The Pollution Control Department yesterday instructed people in the North, particularly those with respiratory problems and the elderly, to avoid outdoor activities.

The level of dust particles smaller than 10 microns was measured at 128 microgrammes per cubic metre (ug/cu m) in Chiang Mai, 142 in Chiang Rai and 160 in Mae Hong Son, which exceeds the accepted safety standard of 120 ug/cu m.

Junnapong Saranak, director of the Tourism Authority of Thailand's Northern Region 1, conceded that air pollution has affected tourism in the region, as some tourists had cancelled travel plans.

However, his office had assured tour agents and travellers that the situation had improved and he expected a huge number of visitors during the Songkran festival from April 13 to 15.

Duangchan Charoenmuang of Chiang Mai University blamed the authorities for a short-sighted approach to air pollution, which has recurred each year.

She called for systemic management and public participation in dealing with all sources of pollution.

Her view contradicts those of state officials who have only focused on forest fires and slash-and-burn farming as the causes of the problem.

The chief of the public health office in Chiang Rai, Thepnaruemit Methawin, said 20,085 residents were treated for respiratory ailments and sore eyes over the past two weeks.

I can see the point of lifting the 'disaster' classification though. As you know from past events, no matter if air related or related to flooding, if it floods 5 streets and a market near the river for 3 days, then MONTHS after that people will avoid the lot of Chiang Mai province.

We've seen the worst of it I think, judging from records from past years, and levels are pretty normal for the time of year now.

Besides it's not like they actually DID anything with that 'disaster' status. I'd much rather they lift the disaster status but actually clamp down on burning, shoot a few farmers, etc. (I mean we're still under martial law anyway, what's the point of having martial law if not to shoot people when needed/convenient? :o )