Bilingual school curriculum must overcome hurdles

snoop1130

Bilingual school curriculum must overcome hurdles

By The Nation

800_4e82cc75feb5c96.jpg

Amnat Wichayanuwat, secretary-general of Office of the Basic Education Commission (OBEC)

Plans to improve Thais’ English proficiency by introducing a bilingual curriculum at all grade levels must overcome snags over school qualifications, the secretary-general of Office of the Basic Education Commission (OBEC) said on Wednesday (November 13). 

Amnat Wichayanuwat said preparations are underway in keeping with Education Minister Nataphol Teepsuwan’s pledge last week to put the bilingual curriculum in place from kindergarten up at more than 2,000 district schools starting in academic year 2020.

But Amnat said that, to be funded for a Mini English Programme (MEP) classroom, district and sub-district schools must show that their students’ Ordinary National Educational Test (O-NET) scores have improved for at least the previous three years.

“This is impossible because these schools haven’t even started with the new lessons,” he said.

“To launch the MEP classrooms efficiently, we will therefore adjust the qualification and submit it to the Provincial Schools Admission Committee for consideration.”

Amnat said the OBEC would also reinstate provincial English Resource and Instruction Centres to develop the English curriculum by determining English proficiency among both teachers and students and what areas need improvement.

“And there will be an English proficiency assessment using the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages standard,” he added. “This will expand the opportunities for education and create equality among educational institutes.”

The OBEC will extend three English-language programmes, he said. 

• An International Programme that uses courses from abroad and relies on native speakers or teachers who are otherwise qualified.

• An Intensive English Programme that offers five lessons per week to take learners to Level B2, which denotes ability to communicate, study and work in a company or country where English is the primary language. 

• A General English Programme that enables children to communicate in English, learning from teachers trained under the “English Boot Camp” project.

The OBEC currently oversees 19 schools with the International Programme in place and 400 where all or some subjects are taught in English.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30378314

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-11-13

They are so blind with xenophobia, tm30++ and work permits they can not see the answer. So many native speaking expats unable to work even part time. To blind to see this asset. Its jut St really sad oh and I do not have a horse in that race or when I lived in Thailand any interest but new somany who would have liked to have even a few hours a week. 

9 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

• An International Programme that uses courses from abroad and relies on native speakers or teachers who are otherwise qualified.

I cant see this model being adopted as it could be a threat to national security, students could be coerced to actually think!

"Bilingual School Curriculum Must Overcome Hurdles"

Such as canning its 19th century approach to education, going past the 20th century upgrades, and entering the 21st century. That needs to include, not only testing the students, but closely examining the entire staff. From the commissioner, to the principals and teaching staffs. This should be conducted by an international organization, since the Thai system is so inbred with ancient thinking, corrupt, moronic "me first" individuals. The next step would be to bring in foreign teachers in order to give proper educations to the students and ensure that all the teachers, and future teachers meet rigid standards....In other words...Not Gonna Happen in Thailand.  

Bureaucracy gone wild, quotes from article:

Office of the Basic Education Commission (OBEC)

Mini English Programme (MEP)

Ordinary National Educational Test (O-NET)

Provincial Schools Admission Committee

English Resource and Instruction Centres

Common European Framework of Reference for Languages standard,

An International Programme

An Intensive English Programme

A General English Programme

“English Boot Camp” project

15 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

Bureaucracy gone wild, quotes from article:

Office of the Basic Education Commission (OBEC)

Mini English Programme (MEP)

Ordinary National Educational Test (O-NET)

Provincial Schools Admission Committee

English Resource and Instruction Centres

Common European Framework of Reference for Languages standard,

An International Programme

An Intensive English Programme

A General English Programme

“English Boot Camp” project

A  load of well aimed  numpty krap...........W.a.n.k

None of us native English speakers needed grammar to learn how to converse and grammar remains a stumbling block for any child. Why does a 7 year old need to know what a place preposition or a subjugated verb is? Once they have learned to hold a conversation then grammar could be introduced into the school curriculum. Just an opinion, but although an engineer I did many years ago teach English to children, adults and executives, that of course would not happen today.  

9 hours ago, Scot123 said:

They are so blind with xenophobia, tm30++ and work permits they can not see the answer. So many native speaking expats unable to work even part time. To blind to see this asset. Its jut St really sad oh and I do not have a horse in that race or when I lived in Thailand any interest but new somany who would have liked to have even a few hours a week. 

I have 2 X bachelors degrees, a Masters and a doctorate (the doctorate is from an accreditation exempt university - did it as a hobby), 2 years at primary, 5 years at secondary and 3 years at university level and yet ............. OBEC says that I am not qualified to teach. Only provisional licence for me!

I am also a NES speaker, but apparently that doesn't qualify me to teach English!

Another bilingual scheme doomed by the dearth of proficient English teachers - a shortage which can only worsen as Immigration makes it ever harder to live and work here.

In any case, why invest billions of baht in teaching kids to rote learn the intricacies of English grammar when digital simultaneous translation devices will soon enable anybody to communicate effectively in any language?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/05/17/groundbreaking-gadget-claims-to-fit-in-your-ear-and-translate-fo/

Just imagine what educators could do with all that lesson time saved not learning a foreign lingo. They might even consider (perish the thought!) teaching future generations of Thais how to think.

12 hours ago, Scot123 said:

Being able to simply speak a language and being able to teach it effectively are two very different things.

P{art of the problem is the apathy of most Thai teachers, they do not understand or are too stupid to realise that Thai as a language is so hard to learn , teaching any subject in Thai almost requires Rote learning as there is no other way .First you hav to teach the teachers then the children but as others have said their xenophobia and lack of logical thinking the Thai Governments including this one throw away one of the biggest advantages they have a huge pool of Native English speakers who would like to help but are unable to do so because of archaic and restrictive laws, made in part due tpo pandering to Thai teachers who in the main are unable to teach outside the book provided . 

They only have themselves to blame and until they stop pretending they have the answers and seek outside NES speakers to assist in each and every school then it will not get any better.  

problem nr 1 :  thai teachers thinking they can actually speak, read & write understandable english

my daughter goes to IEP sarasas :  reception does not speak a word of English in an international educational program (= double price of bilingual) and vice director refuses any contact, direct or blocked in line / facebook

It will be very difficult to hire Native English speaking teachers.  Will the income be enough to qualify for the visa and work permit?  Will the teachers be granted the teaching license the Ministry of Education requires?  It all sounds good on paper but in practice the Thai government continues to put up roadblocks.

Archived