Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

4 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

A strange little occurrence just happened here at the mil’s in rural Lat Yao ( Nakhon Sawan ), not exactly Isaan but as close as I get . 

Relaxing in the house when a bird started an awful screeching noise along with rapid flapping of wings , sounded like it was stuck somewhere in the house.

After a few minutes of this racket, investigated and found a large(ish ) snake, around 1.5 m long  trying to enter a downstairs window , after a few taps on the window screen with a stick it slithered off and disappeared off into the undergrowth .

As soon as the snake left the window the bird , black with a yellow mask , seemed satisfied with itself and stopped screeching, watched the snake on its merry way and then flew off .

Seemed like a pretty damn good alarm bird !!

As for the 4 “ alarm “ dogs ??, they slept peacefully through the whole thing ????

That is a good bird to have around Andy.

One of Charkie's cats that actually made it to adulthood, would regularly bring snakes to the house. Not giants, but up to two feet long. Not the poisonous ones though. We would let him (Jack the cat) play with the snake for a while and then take it back to the undergrowth. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Great stuff.

Swimming runs in our family blood. My daughter was an age group world champion. And another was world champion fire-fighting swimmer.

But! I understand the apprehension if you are not comfortable in water.

Like the colours, even the rubbish bin. WHU, or is it Villa or Burnley? No! I jest. Of course not, it's the Irons. Champions league next year?

I wish. Top 10 will be an achievement at the mo. 

The old man has a painting burst no and again. I think he stocked up with paint when I had the extension built strangely enough and out of nowhere the whole house got a lick of paint at the same time. 
Strange that ???? 

• Like 1

On 8/10/2020 at 10:38 AM, Odysseus123 said:

Green and gold are the national colours..just the same as your red,white and blue except on our national flag which remains staunchly committed to the Union flag...but at night...????

Otherwise various sports teams wear most of the colours of the rainbow.

Plus the traditional ones,of course.

Cricket on the green..

097.JPG

088.JPG

My colours are red on white. I don't go with the Union flag at all. Don't even know what way it is hung; don't want to know either.

But really, I don't care for flags or anthems or any religious stuff. I believe in the 'F's. Fishing, football, fun etc.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, owl sees all said:

But really, I don't care for flags or anthems or any religious stuff. I believe in the 'F's. Fishing, football, fun etc

I believe that I was commenting on the vibrant colours often seen in/on Thai temples and houses and how they reminded me of India as well..as per Kadilo's photos of his house in Isaan.????

Plus a wry jest that whilst our national flag is red,white and blue our sporting colours have always been green and gold..a bit of confusion there..????

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

I believe that I was commenting on the vibrant colours often seen in/on Thai temples and houses and how they reminded me of India as well..as per Kadilo's photos of his house in Isaan.????

Plus a wry jest that whilst our national flag is red,white and blue our sporting colours have always been green and gold..a bit of confusion there..????

Agree Ody. There are very vibrant coulous to be seen in some parts of the world. The green and gold of Oz are a joy to see.

I think there are restrictions on colours in England. What can be worn in a court, in parliament and even what colour your house can be painted. Almost impossible to buy a pink fishing rod. Some golf clubs frown on bright colours being worn around their links. Although the buses in London were red at one time; and also those relics of the past; telephone and post boxes.

As for transport in Thailand. A bit drab at times.

1552652461_paintedbus.jpg.078b78c2a9a213bc0ffdd34d6d88c1a2.jpg

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I just couldn't let it slide. It was baffling me so much. Such quality for so little.

{snipped}

The twenty baht shop in Ban Dung bought them all up for $3-99 each (Amazon) and are flogging them off at a loss.
Maybe an email to the company saying what a bargain they were.

This is just my cup of tea. Go for it Owl.

I'm sitting here with bated breath.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, owl sees all said:
Just told the wife about Bassett. And me sending an email.

"Farang no make trouble for Thailand. Will take you away."

So, the nail clipping company will have to stay in the dark. Can't risk deportation.

I'm quite willing to risk deportation for this worthy cause.

What exactly would you want to ask them - how they can sell them here so cheap? I see they're about $4 on Amazon.

I assume I can use your photos of the product to confirm the model, as I notice they seem to produce quite a few.

That's assuming they are still going - I see in 2012 they sold out to Pacific World Corp, who appear to be running the website now.

Gimme the low-down.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2020 at 10:49 AM, owl sees all said:

Avocados for breakfast soon.

At least 5 years before you get fruit from a seed-grown plant, and up to 15 years (according to Google). We have one that is 2 years+ and has plenty of height and leaves, but no sign of fruit.

I've looked around (only on the internet) for cuttings from established plants, but no joy. Apparently, if you can graft a cutting from an established plant onto your seed grown plant it can give you avocados in just one year.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

At least 5 years before you get fruit from a seed-grown plant, and up to 15 years (according to Google). We have one that is 2 years+ and has plenty of height and leaves, but no sign of fruit.

I've looked around (only on the internet) for cuttings from established plants, but no joy. Apparently, if you can graft a cutting from an established plant onto your seed grown plant it can give you avocados in just one year.

It's true what you say chickenlegs. The avocado could be grafted onto the root stock for a good result. The roots are everything with growing from seed. No root growth; no fruit. They like tons of water, but not waterlogged.

I think 3 years six months from now (August 20 2020).

We will see.

4 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Investigations are almost complete.

Bassett was a wooden furniture company that at one time employed over 20k people.

They ventured into the beauty market after some board in-fighting. They became two different companies. Both ran into serious financial probs' and sold out. 

However, I am more interested in the clippers than the furniture. The machinery eventually found its way to Sth Korea. The 'Three Sevens' company still produce the clippers. The only difference being the stamping, and the packaging.

I went to the 20 baht shop yesterday and bought a pair of clippers:

1516360720_clippers01.png.c4dc7ce5699797efcc3733cfdb553914.png

933293972_clippers06.png.b86c60e24b0b7a36f264aa5f92bb0587.png

Almost identical!

1801290755_clippers02.png.e84f43824fa11ed28374350deac26936.png

The packaging says a 'lifetime guarantee', where as the Bassett clippers only had 10 years.

16287280_clippers05.png.85ace2dc97ea8169e9263f192dadd899.png

Further investigation led me to Lazada. The cost of a decent pair of Three Seven clippers is 79 baht. Appreciably less than the $4 US, but still more than 20 baht. But!!!!! I notice that all the modern Three Seven clippers now have a little hole at the end for attachment somewhere.

In conclusion; I might say that the clippers in question have been discontinued. I've got the details of Three Seven of Korea, and will be asking some searching questions (I'll not tell the Mrs).

Watch this space.

PPS: at the 20 baht shop I also bought a light bulb (energy saver), a pack of 8 toilet rolls and an 8 inch diameter fishing net. Last of the big spenders!!

Looks like I went off half-cocked then.

You've looked into it further, whereas I only saw Bassett's sold out in 2012 to Pacific World Corp, in California, who appear to be running the website.

I've emailed them already asking various questions, assuming I receive a reply. To quote your good self: Watch this space!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

Looks like I went off half-cocked then.

You've looked into it further, whereas I only saw Bassett's sold out in 2012 to Pacific World Corp, in California, who appear to be running the website.

I've emailed them already asking various questions, assuming I receive a reply. To quote your good self: Watch this space!

This is what sets some of us aside; investigative journalism.

I am going to Ban Dung this afternoon for Milly. I might buy a few of the Three Eleven clippers. People that I want to give them to, might be more appreciative of the gesture, if they are nicely packaged.

Or should I give them a test run? See if the lifetime guarantee is worth the card it's printed on. It's a dilemma.

And!! I've been informed that it would cost 120 baht to send a pair to England. I'll have a look at a bulk sending. Might be a new business for me in this. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

This is what sets some of us aside; investigative journalism.

{snipped}

And!! I've been informed that it would cost 120 baht to send a pair to England. I'll have a look at a bulk sending. Might be a new business for me in this. 

'investigative journalism' The phrase itself brings back memories of Roger Cook when he started doing the same on BBC radio, narrating for the listener by using phrases like, "Stop hitting me!" and "Why are you hitting me?"

Does the 120 Baht you were quoted include the package to be 'signed for'? I ask because there have been people posting on here about stuff that never arrived.

When I regularly send parcels to Finland to my sister-in-law I always pay for that service (it's definitely not EMS, but normal airmail, with a 'signed for' option), You are given a tracking number which means the package is tracked all the way and is unlikely to disappear in someone's pocket along the way.

Plus you can track it yourself too. Nearly every time it tends to spend three or four days relaxing at the Suvanaphum mail centre before carrying on abroad.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bluesofa said:

'investigative journalism' The phrase itself brings back memories of Roger Cook when he started doing the same on BBC radio, narrating for the listener by using phrases like, "Stop hitting me!" and "Why are you hitting me?"

Does the 120 Baht you were quoted include the package to be 'signed for'? I ask because there have been people posting on here about stuff that never arrived.

When I regularly send parcels to Finland to my sister-in-law I always pay for that service (it's definitely not EMS, but normal airmail, with a 'signed for' option), You are given a tracking number which means the package is tracked all the way and is unlikely to disappear in someone's pocket along the way.

Plus you can track it yourself too. Nearly every time it tends to spend three or four days relaxing at the Suvanaphum mail centre before carrying on abroad.

Sounds like Australia post sending stuff to Darwin.

you can order something from the US and often within 6 hours, it’s been picked, packed, picked up and airborne, a day later it arrives (usually in Sydney) then two weeks and no notifications later it miraculously and fortuitously arrives in Darwin...

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

Sounds like Australia post sending stuff to Darwin.

you can order something from the US and often within 6 hours, it’s been picked, packed, picked up and airborne, a day later it arrives (usually in Sydney) then two weeks and no notifications later it miraculously and fortuitously arrives in Darwin...

Darwin is in the north of Oz, so it's understandable that things take a little time.

I found similar when I ordered David Icke's book 'The Trigger'. Amazon said it would be just two days to Thailand, and I got it after twelve. It was franked into Thailand after two days as Amazon said. Where it went I've no idea.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Is that the one where he claims alien lizard people run the world?

No, no no! 

'The Trigger' is the book that exposes the official story of the Twin Towers' as nonsense. It explains how 9/11 happened, who did it and why. It also examines how world events have unfolded since.

Not a bedtime read at 900 pages.

If you are interested in 'alien lizard people' KB, look up "Revelations of a Mother Goddess", and "The Biggest Secret".

Thanks.

Edited by owl sees all
Changed 7/11 to 9/11
  • Thanks 1

Many people dismiss David Icke as some sort of looney, but he really is not. He speaks a lot of sense.

I don't agree with everything he says, indeed, the Lizard stuff was a bit off the wall, but that was a long time ago.

He talks about 'Problem, Reaction, Solution', which is very interesting, because it shows imo, how so many things are engineered by governments so they can impose control.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, faraday said:

Many people dismiss David Icke as some sort of looney, but he really is not. He speaks a lot of sense.

I don't agree with everything he says, indeed, the Lizard stuff was a bit off the wall, but that was a long time ago.

He talks about 'Problem, Reaction, Solution', which is very interesting, because it shows imo, how so many things are engineered by governments so they can impose control.

"The central theme of 'The Trigger' is what happened on 9/11, and the force that was really behind those attacks. No! Not the 19 'Islamic extremists' who somehow flew big commercial jets with fantastic skill; while being dubbed by flying instructors in one-engine 'puddle jumpers' as incompetent."

I'm with you Faraday. I can't get my head around some of his stuff but he is bang on the money most of the time.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, faraday said:

I am with you on this.

Eagerly awaiting his take on this Covid thingy although we have probably already had every conspiracy going on the matter.

Still interesting to hear his take on it though.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I am with you on this.

Eagerly awaiting his take on this Covid thingy although we have probably already had every conspiracy going on the matter.

Still interesting to hear his take on it though.

David has been chucked off Youtube. A number of prominent doctors and virologists also. Shaun Attwood had started up www.brandnewtube.com. No deplatforming, no censorship. Sonia Paulson is contributing and others.

• Like 1