The economics of international schools in Thailand

A report by The Fry Group examined international school fees across Asia –Thailand, Singapore, Hong Kong, Malaysia and Indonesia – as well as the UK. It found that Thai international school fees are among the lowest – 21.7% cheaper than Singapore. 

Singapore gdp per capita $57,000
Thailand gdp per capita $6,500 

I can appreciate that land prices in Bangkok are quite expensive, but private school fees do seem quite expensive by any measure in Thailand.  

In fairness, a few factors make this more reasonable:

• While Thailand's GDP per capita remains low in comparison to Singapore and other more developed economies, the share of wealth held by the top 20% has been decreasing since the early 1990s, while those of the second 20% and third 20% have been increasing, meaning there is a robustly growing middle class. (I suspect that if we were able to isolate the top 1%, however, their share of the wealth would also be growing.) Although many of the larger international schools would still be out of their reach, a significant number of affordable schools are affordable for a middle class Thai family.
  • This is particularly true of Bangkok, as the greater metro area accounts for nearly half of Thailand's GDP. The average household income in the city is thus significantly higher than it is in other locations, and the greatest concentration of international schools is naturally there.
  • Demand for places at international schools has stayed high despite the market being saturated. Over 100 international kindergartens and schools are now in operation in Bangkok, yet only one (St. John's) has closed due to enrollment issues (as well as other factors). Even more are set to open in 2020--most of which will be on the higher end in respect to fees. Combined with the projections of continued growth in GDP per capita, it's unlikely this will change.

That being said, I do agree that there is a significantly higher disparity between overall GDP per capita and international school fees here than in other countries.

• Like 2

Teacher and staff salaries represent roughly between 70% to 80% of the overhead of international schools.

In Thailand, local staff salaries are competitive against Singapore or Tokyo but the foreign teachers are recruited from the same pool.

Many schools have nil or fixed low profit margins. Those that do not, can only charge what the market can pay and the ability for demand to move to lower cost alternatives is quite high. This makes fees competitive and similar between like for like comparable schools.

Thus, fees in any location and  across the region generally are reasonably similar. Fees charged are not at all based upon or directly related to macro economic measures such as GDP etc.

On 11/20/2019 at 7:52 AM, cmsally said:

From what I have heard, a lot of Chinese coming to Thailand for the international education. The ones I have spoke to said cheaper than China, but not sure where in China they came from.

Also coming from Korea. 

• Like 2

And the Thai international schools trying to make a buck off of the Chinese students trying to save money on "International Education". At Assumption College(A private Catholic school) in Bangkok 2018, it was announced to us; the foreign staff that a large number of Chinese students were to become a part of our "English Program" later in the year. I left before they came, however there is no doubt in my mind that the administration at Assumption advertised for students in China to make more money. I had a problem with this because we as a staff, and a program were barely able to deliver quality education to the Thai kids we had in our department. It really felt like an impending screw up.

• Like 2

Khun millionaire, we are 20% less than Singapore, London, or New York

Ok ok, but your best Unis are somewhere in 300-400+ category

Khun Somchai - mai mai, different, Thai different!

Ok ok, where are the jobs offering salaries similar to Singapore, London, or New York to support the prices?

Khun Somchai - *blank face* .... mai meee, you bring money from home!

The massive influx of Chinese families is certainly a major factor for the increased demand.  In CM, the percentage of Chinese students in International Schools was around 3% just a few years ago. Now it's over 35%, and over 50% for Elementary grades (most new admissions are at younger ages).  Schools increase supply by building more classrooms and moving to larger campuses (e.g. Lanna), and in parallel increase the tuition fees each and every year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Of course, if someone is unable to see the value in an excellent education then unless they have been lucky they are unlikely to be in a position to afford it for their children and will claim such things 'a bloody rip-off'...

Except that high fees and the word "international" doesn't make it excellent.

Thailand has one of the worst education system in the world - as confirmed over and over. Even IF the school is excellent just having the education from Thailand puts stigma on the CV.

Not sure if I’d call it a “rip off” when I see the prices quoted.  Overpriced for what you get, but considering the next step (for high school) would be (to use the US as an example)...schools such as Andover, Exeter, St. Pauls, Groton, Hotchkiss, Deerfield and Choate, with tuition running $60k+ (not including travel) and some people actually want to raise their kids rather than ship them off to boarding school....what are the better options?  

If I had the money (and kids) though, I’d probably prefer to send mine off to the government school, tell them to just daydream their way through classes, and put the money into investments for their future while diligently homeschooling them after hours.  I sure wish my parents had done that for me.  Haha.  If you think the International Schools or even New England prep schools are expensive, you should see how much “alternative” education (secretive corrupt private “reform” schools) costs.

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Unless you place a value on the education of your child. 

My Sons school costs:

Entrance Fee: 250,000 baht

Deposit: 50,000 baht (returnable)

Annual fee: 628,300 baht (3 terms)

Total outlay for first year: 928,300 baht (±US$30,700) 

Next year: 628,300 baht (±US$20,780) 

Its not cheap, but neither is it a rip off...  Of course, if someone is unable to see the value in an excellent education then unless they have been lucky they are unlikely to be in a position to afford it for their children and will claim such things 'a bloody rip-off'...

From the best schools in Thailand the Best Universities in the world are within reach. It's all about providing our children with the best possible potential, unfortunately this comes with a premium.

Agreed...with caveats.

16 hours ago, Airalee said:

Not sure if I’d call it a “rip off” when I see the prices quoted.  Overpriced for what you get, but considering the next step (for high school) would be (to use the US as an example)...schools such as Andover, Exeter, St. Pauls, Groton, Hotchkiss, Deerfield and Choate, with tuition running $60k+ (not including travel) and some people actually want to raise their kids rather than ship them off to boarding school....what are the better options?  

If I had the money (and kids) though, I’d probably prefer to send mine off to the government school, tell them to just daydream their way through classes, and put the money into investments for their future while diligently homeschooling them after hours.  I sure wish my parents had done that for me.  Haha.  If you think the International Schools or even New England prep schools are expensive, you should see how much “alternative” education (secretive corrupt private “reform” schools) costs.

Home schooling after hours?

Hope you realize kids often come home at 8pm and still have homework to do in government schools while you need to drive them to school at 7am the next day.

Having them daydream all day at school will give you some mentally damaged and demotivated kids. 

17 hours ago, HeyHeyHey said:

Thailand has one of the worst education system in the world - as confirmed over and over. Even IF the school is excellent just having the education from Thailand puts stigma on the CV.

But by sending them to international school they will be able to study at a university anywhere in the world. And no employer looks at your high school when your university degree is from a decent place.

Send them to government school and going abroad for further education will be a long shot.

On 11/27/2019 at 12:19 AM, manchega said:

unless you have experienced thai education you are not qualified to make this comment, 

the difference between learning to do as you are told and learning to think for yourself

that is what you pay for

Really? 

So in Thai private school you can think for yourself and speak your mind? Really? Are you absolutely sure about that? 

25,000 GBP a year for a school? That is the average net salary in the UK. Few can afford that, and more than my pension. Some international schools are dubious, my son did the IB in the UK (government school, so free) and some of the pupils were from an International school in Singapore, where they had failed the IB exams. All passed at the government school in the UK .....

I wouldn't consider a school that didn't have a track record of success, not just advertorial <deleted> claims. And would still need to be affordable, which is an issue for most people. It is still possible to find good schools in Thailand, if your children are Thai. We have one for our daughter that costs about 1000 GBP a year. Has the IEP, and pupils have done well in national English competitions.

What is the goal of international school? To grow up and live and work in a western country? Why not just move to a Western country now and save 12,000,000 baht in fees? If the goal is to work in Thailand, unless you become the CEO of a large company, are you really going to make your money back? Doctors really don't seem to make that much in Thailand. 

Private schools where I am from in the USA cost a fraction of these schools but the local salaries are drastically higher. 

• Like 1

On 11/27/2019 at 2:30 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Unless you place a value on the education of your child. 

My Sons school costs:

Entrance Fee: 250,000 baht

Deposit: 50,000 baht (returnable)

Annual fee: 628,300 baht (3 terms)

Total outlay for first year: 928,300 baht (±US$30,700) 

Next year: 628,300 baht (±US$20,780) 

Its not cheap, but neither is it a rip off...  Of course, if someone is unable to see the value in an excellent education then unless they have been lucky they are unlikely to be in a position to afford it for their children and will claim such things 'a bloody rip-off'...

From the best schools in Thailand the Best Universities in the world are within reach. It's all about providing our children with the best possible potential, unfortunately this comes with a premium.

Still living in a repressed feudal society, want smart kids?

Take them out of TH.

• 2 months later...
On 11/27/2019 at 7:40 PM, HeyHeyHey said:

You do realise that international schools have nothing to do with the Thai education system. They are ran and governed completely separate and the only thing they have to offer is a few Thai lessons per week. 

I am an international school teacher at a British curriculum school in central Bangkok and I do agree the cost is high, especially when you compare it to the average income here. However, for the families that can afford it, it gives their children a fantastic education with endless extra curricular activities.

They are literally worlds apart from 99% of the schools in the UK. Just like a house or a car, you pay the premium for quality. 

On 11/20/2019 at 7:52 AM, cmsally said:

From what I have heard, a lot of Chinese coming to Thailand for the international education. The ones I have spoke to said cheaper than China, but not sure where in China they came from.

Very true. We have had 5 or 6 new Chinese students in our Primary department in the last month or two. Nearly every week we have some coming here for trials too. 

On 11/27/2019 at 8:35 PM, Airalee said:

I am not sure you should use the US as an example of quality education, expensive maybe .....

• 2 months later...
On 11/27/2019 at 7:40 PM, HeyHeyHey said:

Clueless.  Thailand may have a poor education system but the majority of the international schools offer an excellent education which allows them to access some of the best universties in the world - no stigma attached.  

• Like 1