Where to go for saltwater fishing in December

GustavinBKK

Hi Everyone,

I'm based in BKK, but I'm taking a week of in late December to go traveling and I want to go somewhere with good saltwater fishing. I see people on the forum complaining about Thailand being fished out, but there must be some good places left. I hear some of the island in the Andaman sea are good. Any chance you guys got some specific tips on where might be good in December?

Thanks!

Gustav

On 11/19/2019 at 10:50 AM, sunnyboy2018 said:

Koh Samet...

Pattaya....Koh Chang.

..anywhere there is sea...

On 11/19/2019 at 10:50 AM, sunnyboy2018 said:

Koh Samet...

Pattaya....Koh Chang.

..anywhere there is sea...

Pattaya??   only if you find Coney Island Whitefish tasty. 

• Haha 2

yes - the andaman sea is much better than the gulf of thailand.  i live in hua hin and have been fishing out on a boat here and we caught very little.  same for my friends when they have been out.

i have also been to the fish market at ranong on the andaman sea market and the variety and size and colours of the fish they catch over there is amazing

we have a fishing shop here and when the thai owner goes fishing, he makes the 4 hour drive over to the andaman coast.  get down there if you can OP

8 hours ago, UKJASE said:

yes - the andaman sea is much better than the gulf of thailand.  i live in hua hin and have been fishing out on a boat here and we caught very little.  same for my friends when they have been out.

i have also been to the fish market at ranong on the andaman sea market and the variety and size and colours of the fish they catch over there is amazing

we have a fishing shop here and when the thai owner goes fishing, he makes the 4 hour drive over to the andaman coast.  get down there if you can OP

Sounds awesone, thanks man

• Like 1

I've done a few overnight trips at pattaya, definitely less fish than there used to be but still got a few baracudda, ray and dogfish, more a fun session on the beer than for a serious fish session.

I hear the 3 ore 4 day trips further out to sea fair much better but I have not personally been on one of those.

Wherever you go, let us know how you get on as also looking for change. 

• 2 weeks later...

Best salt water fishing I have ever done was out on the jetty across from the main town of Prechupkirikhan.

Take the beach road around towards Aowprechup and you can park at the beginning of the jetty. You can wade a little over 1/2 way then it's up and over the rocks. Bring, drink, lunch, a strong pole and at least 200lb test line. Shrimp or cut bait work well. Handmade  18" steel leaders with a slip weight and #5-#2 hooks.

4 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

Best salt water fishing I have ever done was out on the jetty across from the main town of Prechupkirikhan.

Take the beach road around towards Aowprechup and you can park at the beginning of the jetty. You can wade a little over 1/2 way then it's up and over the rocks. Bring, drink, lunch, a strong pole and at least 200lb test line. Shrimp or cut bait work well. Handmade  18" steel leaders with a slip weight and #5-#2 hooks.

200lb line from a pier? I saw a guy on TV do something similar. IIRC he used his wife's Thanksgiving turkey as bait on a large hook. After tying the loose end of his line to the pier bollard, he caught a fish so big it pulled the whole pier down. Put me off the idea of fishing for life.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2019 at 11:55 AM, TopDeadSenter said:

200lb line from a pier? I saw a guy on TV do something similar. IIRC he used his wife's Thanksgiving turkey as bait on a large hook. After tying the loose end of his line to the pier bollard, he caught a fish so big it pulled the whole pier down. Put me off the idea of fishing for life.

I think you're talking about the movie Jaws, right?

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...