Police search for source of fake 1,000 baht note in Pattaya

webfact

Police search for source of fake 1,000 baht note in Pattaya

5pm.jpg

Picture: Facebook Pattaya Message

Huay Yai police are investigating the source of a fake 1,000 baht that was used at a temple fair Bang Lamung.

A 34 year old stall holder at the fair contacted police after he discovered he had been duped by the fake note.

He told officers a Thai woman who looked about 40 years old used the note to buy socks worth 100 baht.  The seller handed over 900 baht in change.

Police are trying to identify the woman and urged people to be on the lookout for counterfeit money. 

Source: Facebook Pattaya Message

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-11-22

Probably the woman may even not bin  aware  it was fake …. how many different type 1000 baht notes are printed and used all together ? Same as 100 baht notes with different coloring ,I once asked a exchange booth in Tesco if my very red 100 baht was real as looked  extra red ,and she said yes it is a good one ...

Fake 1000baht pic.pdf

5 minutes ago, ezzra said:

That 'extra red' 100 baht note might have been a printing error and thus worth a lot more than a 100 baht probably like 10 times more...

If so , I missed and the exchange booth lady missed the extra , my last thought's that moment ….. would only not be caught for a misarable100 baht fake note in Thailand ...that was my concern

5 hours ago, david555 said:

Probably the woman may even not bin  aware  it was fake …. how many different type 1000 baht notes are printed and used all together ? Same as 100 baht notes with different coloring ,I once asked a exchange booth in Tesco if my very red 100 baht was real as looked  extra red ,and she said yes it is a good one ...

Fake 1000baht pic.pdf 152.19 kB · 13 downloads

Buying something for 100b is attempting to exploit, getting 900 b change I see as suspicious ???? , I do it all the time , but I’m not Thai, could be Persian expertise 

3 minutes ago, Nice Boyd said:

Buying something for 100b is attempting to exploit, getting 900 b change I see as suspicious ???? , I do it all the time , but I’m not Thai, could be Persian expertise 

It is most of the time the only way for us foreigners to get change as we use ATM all the time , unless we put 900 or equal in on the ATM  keyboard 

So also not much chance we receive a fake one as from ATM (hope they check them bills ) unless all those foreigners who have a business as we spend not collect  

4 hours ago, david555 said:

It is most of the time the only way for us foreigners to get change as we use ATM all the time , unless we put 900 or equal in on the ATM  keyboard 

So also not much chance we receive a fake one as from ATM (hope they check them bills ) unless all those foreigners who have a business as we spend not collect  

One night I got a copy of a $100 bill included with my $500 withdrawal from an ATM outside a mini-mart in Phnom Penh. I was warned that it is dangerous to be found with one of those on you, even if you are lodging a complaint, and you could spend days in jail arguing your case. I set it on fire and used it to light my pipe.

4 hours ago, david555 said:

Most of my ATM withdrawals ended in 900 because I wanted to have small money for vendors who understandably did not want to accept and make change for 1000 baht bills.

58 minutes ago, SidJames said:

These are printed in big batches so this may only be the start of them.

The old King is on that note though so maybe an old batch still about

Could be a new batch, but they didn't want to spend the time, money and effort on new plates.

13 hours ago, david555 said:

Often, next to the ATMs, there is a building called a bank! I pop in and change quite a few 1000 baht bills I just got from the ATM if they aren't busy. I also withdraw with the '900' tagged on the end as you suggest. 

A night out on Walking St can also boost one's supply of small (wet) notes. 

Archived