Animal quarantine station in hot water for burying chickens alive

webfact

Animal quarantine station in hot water for burying chickens alive

By The Nation

800_415b9ea808d6a49.jpg?v=1574402188

Officials of Songkhla Animal Quarantine Station and Malaysia’s Padang Besar Custom House have come under fire after a video clip showing some 4,000 chickens smuggled in from Malaysia being buried alive was posted on the social media on November 21. 

After stopping the smugglers’ trucks on November 19, the officers decided to bury all the chickens as demanded by the Animal Epidemics Act which states that all illegally imported animals must be destroyed. 

However, burying animals alive goes against the regulation of the Department of Livestock Development (DLD), which states that poultry must be euthanized or have their necks snapped before burial so that they suffer less. 

The station explained that the number of chickens was hard to handle so they used an easier method to solve the problem.

DLD’s Division of Veterinary Inspection and Quarantine was recently notified about the incident and has ordered Songkhla Animal Quarantine Station to provide a more detailed explanation of their actions.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30378633

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-11-22

21 hours ago, webfact said:

.....poultry must be euthanized or have their necks snapped before burial so that they suffer less. 

Yet, if a dog gets severely injured, a vet won't euthanise it, so it eventually dies in agony; and if a person does the kindest thing for the animal, he/she will be locked-up.

It's often been said that life's cheap here.  But, for some animals, it's long and painfull.

36 minutes ago, Moti24 said:

Yet, if a dog gets severely injured, a vet won't euthanise it, so it eventually dies in agony; and if a person does the kindest thing for the animal, he/she will be locked-up.

So now we know. Stick the dog in a hole, cover it in soil and you're good to go.

Problem solved.

22 hours ago, webfact said:

has ordered Songkhla Animal Quarantine Station to provide a more detailed explanation of their actions.

It was an honest mistake,Guv, did not mean to do it,OK........dont do it again.

regards Worgeordie

23 hours ago, webfact said:

The station explained that the number of chickens was hard to handle so they used an easier method to solve the problem.

“An easier method to solve the problem”, which is a seemingly an insurmountable problem in Thailand, where short cuts are king

1 hour ago, Moti24 said:

It's often been said that life's cheap here.  But, for some animals, it's long and painfull.

I am an independent rescuer/feeder and never once met any vets here who refuse to euthanise if indeed needed to prevent unneeded suffering, in fact i had one vet who just took 1 glance at a dog and declare the dog cannot be help and need to be out down asap!( ofcoz i told her to shove it and took the poor dog to another vet who did minor surgery and the dog still alive n well today. 

4 hours ago, BestB said:

I am still struggling to understand why chickens must be destroyed because smuggled?

If they were sick, ok, makes sense, but just because smuggled? makes no sense what so ever.

Why not test a few ? why not send all back?

Fear of Avian Influenza ?

1 hour ago, BestB said:

Ok. So why not do that for 17 days?

Sorry, but who's going to pay? The people caught smuggling obviously weren't about to pay for quarantine, that's why they tried smuggling them. So the government/taxpayer pays for quarantine and testing?

I don't think so. Sad they got buried alive, but wringing the necks of 4,000 birds? 

37 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Sorry, but who's going to pay? The people caught smuggling obviously weren't about to pay for quarantine, that's why they tried smuggling them. So the government/taxpayer pays for quarantine and testing?

I don't think so. Sad they got buried alive, but wringing the necks of 4,000 birds? 

Yes the government will pay and then will sell and make money, Just like smuggled cars and everything else. gets seized and then auctioned off.

Smugglers also get fined 

41 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Carbon monoxide ?

Archived