Family-Owned Thai Restaurant in Texas Gets Racist ‘Speak English’ Note From Customer

rooster59

22 hours ago, tingtong said:

if only i could have a dollar for every time i heard the phrase from a thai "this is thailand" as a racist counter for anything and everything....

Yes, me too!  Then I could afford to retire in a place where I am actually made to feel welcome.

• Like 1

two wrongs never make a right.

However sheesh talk about the kettle calling the pan black.

The sheer racism in Thailand is in abundance; two tier pricing, 51% Thai Majority in business company, etc, etc. Not forgetting the amount of times I have heard and also on two occasions been on the receiving end of, “you not like go back your own country”. 

Ignorance is everywhere, and for many bliss. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Thanks but I'll use the word racist. I can't imagine why you don't like it.

Because it is not necessarily the correct word in this context. 

In case you have missed the nuances:

https://debbyirving.com/are-prejudice-bigotry-and-racism-the-same-thing/

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/lets-get-it-right-bigotry-is-not-racism_b_57eddcd3e4b0972364deb01a

Edited by metempsychotic
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Nice Boyd said:

Americans get bashed on thaivisa  site constantly, and nothing is done about it, Americans are tired of it, these lil Yank Bashing Cliques are never criticized or Banned or Suspended, I’m particularly exhausted with the tolerance given to the bashers , I don’t see any difference between that note and the behavior of a certain clique on here....

As someone who is regularly banned for supporting my country, I would agree with you.

2 hours ago, metempsychotic said:

Because it is not necessarily the correct word in this context. 

In case you have missed the nuances:

https://debbyirving.com/are-prejudice-bigotry-and-racism-the-same-thing/

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/lets-get-it-right-bigotry-is-not-racism_b_57eddcd3e4b0972364deb01a

I don't do nuances. The note was racist. If the culprit had been found in the UK, they would have ben cahrged with a race hate crime, although I realise that in the US they are more tolerant of racists.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DannyCarlton said:

The person who wrote it is. Note: I said "the culprit" not the "note" would be charged. Want to play any more adolescent semantics?

I don't do nuances. The note was racist. If the culprit had been found in the UK, they would have ben cahrged with a race hate crime, although I realise that in the US they are more tolerant of racists.

Does that refresh your memory? I'll help you even further: You wrote "The note was racist."  You didn't write that the writer of the note was racist, you specifically referenced the note itself. Don't get triggered because your ability to communicate is sub par for me. 

You're not careful with what you write.  It's full of grammatical errors and misspellings.  You ought to take pride in the written word.

Edited by 4675636b596f75

On 11/24/2019 at 3:41 PM, woogoo said:

But here is another point, the families there who opened restaurants made tons of money. All of that money, with the exception of the money paid in taxes, the kept. They didn’t need to hire a certain number of Americans. They didn’t need a 51% joint ownership with an American. They didn’t need to do 90 day check ins. They all easily obtained their green cards. None of them had to do TM-30s. And, as long as they pay their taxes, it will stay that way. I hear many fellow Americans talk about “institutional racism”, but I never understood what that meant until I came to Thailand.

Maybe that's because they are US citizens?

Get Thai citizenship and enjoy doing your business without 51% ownership and TM30.

Fair game

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Alex2554 said:

Maybe that's because they are US citizens?

Get Thai citizenship and enjoy doing your business without 51% ownership and TM30.

Fair game

QUOTE: Get Thai citizenship and enjoy doing your business without 51% ownership and TM30.

If only you had told us before!!!

Yes, that's how simple and easy it is, how did we overlook that?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

QUOTE: Get Thai citizenship and enjoy doing your business without 51% ownership and TM30.

If only you had told us before!!!

Yes, that's how simple and easy it is, how did we overlook that?

US citizens can have 100% ownership of a business here thanks to the Treaty of Amity.  So please pipe down - it is actually very easy for them.

If you are not a US citizen there are also many ways you can legally have a 100% foreign owned business - I work for one and I handled the application - it wasn't that hard (but admittedly it is not available for all types of industry, but it is for many).

So many people on here feel persecuted, hard done by, so many things against them.  Yet how many of them have ever actually tried to set up a business and know anything about the process?  I am willing to bet not many.

It is not as free and easy as the US to do business in general, but that is a much more advanced economy.  And you think you can just hire any old foreigner there if you do have a business?  No immigration hardships at all?

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

It is not as free and easy as the US to do business in general, but that is a much more advanced economy.  And you think you can just hire any old foreigner there if you do have a business?  No immigration hardships at all?

Actually yes, you can legally hire any foreigner you want (as long as they have a green card and a tax ID number or Social Security Number), no work permits, no application, notification or permission needed from US Immigration authorities (now called the USCIS for US Customs and Immigration Service), no hassles or hardships at all. 

Employers in the USA only have problems when they hire "illegal immigrants" without the green card and SS# (because they are willing to work dirt cheap, even far below minimum wage and are always paid in cash thereby avoiding taxes and payroll records and deductions). 

2 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

Actually yes, you can legally hire any foreigner you want (as long as they have a green card and a tax ID number or Social Security Number), no work permits, no application, notification or permission needed from US Immigration authorities (now called the USCIS for US Customs and Immigration Service), no hassles or hardships at all. 

Employers in the USA only have problems when they hire "illegal immigrants" without the green card and SS# (because they are willing to work dirt cheap, even far below minimum wage and are always paid in cash thereby avoiding taxes and payroll records and deductions). 

Exactly, you can't just hire any foreigner.  How hard is it to get a green card?  Could I just turn up and get one and get hired?

Edited by josephbloggs

Just now, josephbloggs said:

Yes, but how hard is it to get a green card?

Very easy if you marry a US citizen.  If not then there are many other ways and they even have "amnesty periods" where illegals already living in the USA can turn themselves to Immigration in and will be able to get their green cards and become legal immigrants  (unless they are wanted or convicted felons etc..)

14 minutes ago, HaleySabai said:

well, because it MUST of been written by a 'whitey'....????

I was thinking that it may have been written by an overweight entitled female with a strong  ebonics accent who either did not like the food or maybe was not pleased with the price she paid for her meal (or maybe they don't accept EBT cards there).

On 11/22/2019 at 11:09 PM, Yinn said:

Is thai restaurant.

i think the taste will be better if thai do it.

if Mexican, they Mexican cook will taste better.

If McDonald’s, the clown can cook it.

I frequented a nice Thai restaurant in Southern California a few years ago.

Parking was difficult and I was a regular so the boss told me I could park in back and come in through kitchen.  I learned that all the cooks were Spanish speakers.  So you never know.