Family-Owned Thai Restaurant in Texas Gets Racist ‘Speak English’ Note From Customer

rooster59

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dcnx said:

Thai is among the ugliest languages I’ve ever heard, but this is common for South East Asian languages. They sound horrible. However, it was useful for business so I learned it. 

I can speak, read, and write Thai at a business professional level. I can also speak basic Khmer and Burmese. That’s what 20 years in the region will do for you if you apply yourself. Schools, private tutors, all of it. 

There is no such thing as an ugly language at all. There is no meaningful way to measure such an idea. It is entirely subjective

2 hours ago, merial idiot said:

thais don't manage to learn to say "where are you going?" properly in English. They always say "there you goooo?". And other the most elementary phrases.

And now you them to study Spanish?  ????

Where you go is what they say when they have had little formal education.  The phrase is perfectly adequate for communicating inherent meaning though not using the continuous tense. I am always impressed at Thais language skills. I doubt few Americans speak any Thai!

Or in your case basic English.  Read your last sentence!

7 hours ago, Creasy said:

If you’re operating a restaurant in an English speaking country.

And the majority of your customers are English speakers  too.

You would hope that the staff can communicate with the customers

I guess they speak English, but not perfect. Btw., many farang owners of a restaurant in Thailand can´t communicate in Thai with my wife.

8 hours ago, HeyHeyHey said:

To open a business in Thailand you must give 51% control to a Thai

For each work permit you must employ 4 Thais

but someone frustrated that nobody in an American business can speak English is racist?

It´s a government thing, not from the citizens.

How timely, another negative Falang story,

to add with all the other "why falangs are bad" recent news.

I wonder which Mr Big this family is related to or connected with.

Great that the whole family was present for the media shot, to go with the note.

Just another he said, she said, they said, anybody said, BS agenda piece.

5 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

And as Foreign visitors to Thailand, we do not suffer daily Racism from Thai Nationals. ?

We are even subjected to " Double Price Gouging " from the Government for entrance fees to National Parks, along with many other other things, that could be possibly labelled as " Racist ".

Why are these people in Texas whinging exactly ???.............. Oh yes ! I forgot there for a moment that they are Thai .

Once again, NOT racist.  Dual pricing would only be racist if it specifically singles out a specific race for a different entrance price.  Having one price for Thai citizens and a different price for foreigners is not racist.  Having one price for children and one price for adults is also not racist.  Having one price for adults and one price for seniors is also not racist.  And, so on.

9 hours ago, HeyHeyHey said:

To open a business in Thailand you must give 51% control to a Thai

For each work permit you must employ 4 Thais

but someone frustrated that nobody in an American business can speak English is racist?

Furthermore I'm not so sure why they think learning English to Run a Business in America where the official Language is English would be so disturbing...

24 minutes ago, SilverBeast said:

Furthermore I'm not so sure why they think learning English to Run a Business in America where the official Language is English would be so disturbing...

Not wanting to be too pedantic, but the US doesn't have an official language.

In some States they have an official mandate, but nothing on a national Federal level.

4 hours ago, dcnx said:

Thai is among the ugliest languages I’ve ever heard, but this is common for South East Asian languages. They sound horrible. However, it was useful for business so I learned it. 

I can speak, read, and write Thai at a business professional level. I can also speak basic Khmer and Burmese. That’s what 20 years in the region will do for you if you apply yourself. Schools, private tutors, all of it. 

I've travelled the world for almost 60 yrs and have studied more than a dozen languages, but the ugliest language

that I've ever heard is Cockney, that notorious dialect of British English that sounds like a frog farting in a barrel.

Most Asian languages are like music to my ears, especially when listening to Japanese and Thai ladies speak.

Just my opinion...

2 minutes ago, BradinAsia said:

Most Asian languages are like music to my ears, especially when listening to Japanese and Thai ladies speak.

With the exception of Korean.  Korean has got to be the hardest for me to tolerate. 

I too like listening to Japanese women speak as most are very soft spoken, feminine, humble and respectful (not to mention sexy).

8 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

With the exception of Korean.  Korean has got to be the hardest for me to tolerate. 

I too like listening to Japanese women speak as most are very soft spoken, feminine, humble and respectful (not to mention sexy).

Course, need to mention "sexy" first and whether you would give her one or not 

27 minutes ago, BradinAsia said:

I've travelled the world for almost 60 yrs and have studied more than a dozen languages, but the ugliest language

that I've ever heard is Cockney, that notorious dialect of British English that sounds like a frog farting in a barrel.

Just my opinion...

Thai ladies , yes music to my ears . Japanese ladies , no , full of short polite sounds that don't have much meaning .  Just my opinion .

How is complaining that someone who's working with customers doesn't speak English racist? I don't get it. I don't find it unreasonable to expect that wait staff in Texas is able to speak English, it's pretty much a requirement for the job.

To be clear, I do find the "go home" part unnecessarily nasty.

12 hours ago, zydeco said:

Could easily be a hoax. Free publicity already achieved. Not to mention sympathy patronage soon coming up.

Just funny how an idiot wants to try oriental dishes, but only if they speak his common tongue

what a fart

1 minute ago, Caldera said:

How is complaining that someone who's working with customers doesn't speak English racist? I don't get it. I don't find it unreasonable to expect that wait staff in Texas is able to speak English, it's pretty much a requirement for the job.

Not really, they provide a service.
If the language of 1 of the staff is an issue, he could have gone to McDonalds

It's called "entitlement" and is ridiculous

37 minutes ago, Stokakrishna said:

How racist? Should speak English if work and live in the US. 

Why?

“This is because the U.S. has always been a multilingual nation, though this hasn't stopped many states from declaring English as their official language. However, Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 is in place to protect the rights of individual taxpayers who don't speak fluent English.”

yall love your constitution so much whilst yapping about your freedom, or does that only apply to gun laws?

“John Adam’s proposal to the Continental Congress that English be made the official language of the U.S. was deemed, “undemocratic and a threat to individual liberty.””

https://www.spanishtutordc.com/news/why-english-isnt-the-official-language-of-the-u-s-federal-government/

24 minutes ago, Caldera said:

The staff spoke in English to the customers and Thai to their colleagues,  including using the names of food in the Thai language. Seems normal to me. Never heard chinese speaking English to each other in a Thai restaurant.  The note leavers were racist, red neck morons.

Archived