Driver killed, 6 students injured after minivan rear ends truck in Chonburi

rooster59

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Another sleeping driver !,Maybe the Government needs to make

it mandatory for mini vans to have a drivers mate who sits next

to him with a stick ,and his job is the give the driver a wack on 

head,if he sees him nodding,BUT then you would need a drivers

mate, mate to make sure he does not nod off,so on and so on.

regards Worgeordie

Plus some extra pedals for the 2nd driver would make sense. 

The accident statistics in Thailand would go through the floor if driving at night were made illegal.  Seems that many Thais find it extremely difficult to drive safely during daylight hours, and anywhere between about 6.30pm - 6am (after dark) is completely beyond their abilities.....

Looks like one less rod on the road...

show respect for whom? The driver who didn’t drive with care and caution for his passengers?

taking a nap? While do authorities always come to this conclusion when reckless driving is the probable cause

the authorities just don’t want to assign cause to the driver for poor driving habits/abilities so the fall back position is sleeping...

now he’s taking a permanent one!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Driver killed, 6 students injured after minivan rear ends truck in Chonburi

Another suicide jockey in public transport eluding to be a professional driver.

I hope the students recover soon and don't have too many scars, physical or mental in the future!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i am sorry there were passengers in the van.

after just completing a 1800 kilometer motorcycle trip I have little sympathy for these mini van drivers who were trying to kill me on the highway everyday.

Not only on the highway ????I am only doing a few kilometres on Samui'roads the van drivers do try to kill me every day too!

But I see them coming from a distance, and the radars installed on the bikes started to be twice twenty times more vigilant.????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

The damage to the van suggests that the load of 'large steel rods' was overhanging at the back. A common and dangerous practice that the police never seem to be concerned about.

Legal in the west up to one meter if flagged / lit at night

You drive truck - ever ?

5 hours ago, Moonlover said:

The damage to the van suggests that the load of 'large steel rods' was overhanging at the back. A common and dangerous practice that the police never seem to be concerned about.

'Submarining', as it's somewhat dismissively called has caused many deaths because it completely negates the safety features of vehicle.

Here's hoping that the innocent victims all make a full recovery.

Did you watch the video ?  a certain amount of overhang is allowed maybe one mt. the truck didn't stop suddenly,  the so called 'driver' drove straight into the back of a well lit truck on a multi lane highway !  my guess is he undertook a vehicle in front of him and tried to cut in front.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2019 at 10:13 AM, mikebell said:

Speed kills.  To hit a slow-moving lorry with such force means the van driver was speeding.  NO attempt is made by Thai police to limit speedsters.  Just observe Pattaya's bandits raking it in, whilst two sets of red traffic lights are ignored by speeding drivers outside two police stations further up the road!

The Police checkpoints are everywhere in Pattaya now, shaking down as many tourists as possible while ignoring real road law infringements.

This is a good thing, as it shows they are really suffering in their pockets.

Long may it continue.

Tourists will soon get the message and stay away. 

Don't give these parasites something to feed on.

On 11/23/2019 at 6:36 PM, NCC1701A said:

i am sorry there were passengers in the van.

after just completing a 1800 kilometer motorcycle trip I have little sympathy for these mini van drivers who were trying to kill me on the highway everyday.

They love to tail gate at 80 mph. Thankfully one less idiot on the road.

Five of the injured are senior students from our daughter's school, they were going to Bangkok to visit Srinakharinwirot university with a view to studying there from mid-2020.

The accident was announced at school on Saturday morning, upsetting for students on what was teacher-parent day. Understand they will be ok, the 23yr old was a uni pharmacy student traveling from Chanthaburi.

Edited by gomangosteen

On 11/24/2019 at 11:02 AM, JaiLai said:

If you don't know how you should not be driving a bike, it's easy to stay away from almost all traffic on a decent size bike, unless your trips are downtown BKK?

First of all you don't drive a bike, you ride a bike. Second, if you meet a crazy driver who is cutting a blind corner and coming right at you at high speed so that there is no more space for you, what do you do? Hopefully there is a ditch you can fall into and not a concrete wall. Been there and survived. There are unfortunately plenty of scenarios where you need not only riding experience but also some luck.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jchfriis said:

First of all you don't drive a bike, you ride a bike. Second, if you meet a crazy driver who is cutting a blind corner and coming right at you at high speed so that there is no more space for you, what do you do? Hopefully there is a ditch you can fall into and not a concrete wall. Been there and survived. There are unfortunately plenty of scenarios where you need not only riding experience but also some luck.

There's always room, i've avoided many people cutting corners while riding my car and driving one of my many bikes.