3BB wifi router HG8145v5 - Crippled with VPN?

TallGuyJohninBKK

For many years, I've been using a single 2.4 GHz band 3BB Huawei router HG8245, which works perfectly fine in being daisy chained to my ASUS router running a firmware VPN client.

Ideally, though, I'd like my 3BB router to support dual-band 5GHz wifi, while still continuing to use it with my ASUS router for VPN purposes. Except, for months now and on repeated home visits, the 3BB tech folks and now even their networking team keep telling me that the Huawei 8145v5 dual-band router they offer, one of their main dual band wifi routers for fiber, does NOT support VPN passthrough.

So I wanted to ask the question, among the 3BB fiber customers here, does anyone have an 8145v5 wifi router from 3BB that you've also managed to get working with your own 2nd VPN router (where its VPN actually works while being fed from the 3BB router)???  And if so, what kind of setup? 

Not surprisingly, when I do a Google search for "HG8145v5" and "VPN passthrough" I get next to nothing. But the same search with the 8245 single band model produces all kind of results. Why Huawei or 3BB would have changed the VPN passthrough capability from one model to the next I can't imagine...

Thanks much!

4 hours ago, Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai said:

What you vpn for?

I use VPN on my android TV and android set top boxes without problems, Don't use a second router at all, just wifi booster 

at 1 end house.

I use the 2nd router as a VPN router to provide my VPN router wifi to every of the many devices in my home that use it... cell phones, tablets, TV streaming devices, computers, etc -- instead of trying to manage all that with individual VPN apps on each and every device.

I don't have any problems using my ASUS VPN router along with the older HG8245 single band 2.4 GHz N wifi router from 3BB. But for some reason, the newer and faster HG8145v5 dual band 2.4 & 5 GHz AC router doesn't work in the same setup.

Archived