Visa Thai/british

Hiya All,

I have posed this question before but want to get definite answers, I am going to Thailand with my son who holds a British Passport but does not have his Thai passport yet. I have his Thai Birth Certificate and family book. On entry to Thailand does his British passport need to have the tourist visa stamp before I leave as he is staying longer than 30 days? If it does not what would be the consequences or procedure at immigration?

Also where is the best place to get his Thai passport quickly and what documents are needed, Bangkok I presume has somewhere and how long will it take to recieve?

Thanks All :o

Hiya All,

I have posed this question before but want to get definite answers, I am going to Thailand with my son who holds a British Passport but does not have his Thai passport yet. I have his Thai Birth Certificate and family book. On entry to Thailand does his British passport need to have the tourist visa stamp before I leave as he is staying longer than 30 days? If it does not what would be the consequences or procedure at immigration?

Also where is the best place to get his Thai passport quickly and what documents are needed, Bangkok I presume has somewhere and how long will it take to recieve?

My son went thro' this process in October last year with his son. I assume you got his Thai birth certificate from RTE London ? That being the case you will need to go there to get a travel ID for him to allow him to enter Thailand as a Thai. This will only be issued 7 days prior to date of travel. On arrival, thro' immigration you will need to fill in some other documents for him, in fact immigration will tell you to. With these ( together with his Thai birth certificate ) he will then be able to get his name in the House registration book ( if your wife /GF/Fiancee has one) and also to get his Thai passport. The Thai passport generally is turned around in 5-7 days in Bangkok and what they will need is copies of Thai birth certificate, Mothers ID ( assuming you are British), Fathers ID or if foriegner copy of passport and copy of marriage certificate and House registration book with his name entered. So the process is House registration book entry at local Amphur followed by passport application.

Although you say he is already entered into the House Registration book - I am confused here as to how that could be assuming he was born in the UK. If he was of course born in Thailand that would explain it but interested as to how you managed to return to the UK without a Thai entry stamp in his UK passport.

Alternatively if you wish him to enter Thailand on his UK passport he will either have to leave after 30 days because, like you, he will get a 30 day VOA, or altenatively he will need a tourist VISA, again from RTE London.

Edited by gummy

Hiya All,

My son went thro' this process in October last year with his son. I assume you got his Thai birth certificate from RTE London ? That being the case you will need to go there to get a travel ID for him to allow him to enter Thailand as a Thai. This will only be issued 7 days prior to date of travel. On arrival, thro' immigration you will need to fill in some other documents for him, in fact immigration will tell you to. With these ( together with his Thai birth certificate ) he will then be able to get his name in the House registration book ( if your wife /GF/Fiancee has one) and also to get his Thai passport. The Thai passport generally is turned around in 5-7 days in Bangkok and what they will need is copies of Thai birth certificate, Mothers ID ( assuming you are British), Fathers ID or if foriegner copy of passport and copy of marriage certificate and House registration book with his name entered. So the process is House registration book entry at local Amphur followed by passport application.

Although you say he is already entered into the House Registration book - I am confused here as to how that could be assuming he was born in the UK. If he was of course born in Thailand that would explain it but interested as to how you managed to return to the UK without a Thai entry stamp in his UK passport.

Alternatively if you wish him to enter Thailand on his UK passport he will either have to leave after 30 days because, like you, he will get a 30 day VOA, or altenatively he will need a tourist VISA, again from RTE London.

Hi Gummy,

my son was born in thailand and was registered on the family book and holds a Thai Birth Certificate issued in Thailand.

sorry I should have clarified this more. I was told in the past he does not need the stamp, I am just concerned that at immigration our return tickets are longer than 30 days....I will get his Thai passport when in Thailand tho....can I get it in any city?

:D

Edited by lopburiguy

Hiya All,

Hi Gummy,

my son was born in thailand and was registered on the family book and holds a Thai Birth Certificate issued in Thailand.

sorry I should have clarified this more.

:D

Seems you have qualified under the first step so just take all the documents mentioned to BKK to get his passport which as I said will take 5- 7days. Not sure if that gives you a problem though depending on where you live. By the way how did you get him out of Thailand without an entry stamp ? - just interested not being nosey. By the way if you bring him in on his UK passport then exit again on his new Thai passport it may give you a problem if at a later date you bring him in again on his UK passport because it will show that he never received his exit stamp so I suppose technically he could be on overstay ! Best to ask immigration in Thailand for advice. Alternatively apply for his Thai passport via RTE London but I believe that takes up to 3 months as all info is sent to BKK where passport is issued and then returned to RTE London. Sorry don't have all the answers.

Your replies are welcomed Gummy. I do not have time to wait or go down to London to get the Thai paasport, however will it be ok to arrive without the stamp on his British passport then get the passport or exstension when in Thailand? In answer to how I got him out of Thailand he was issued his British passport from the British Embassy, Bangkok.

Edited by lopburiguy

Our son didn't have a Thai passport when he travelled to Thailand last October, so he entered on his British document. He was to stay for in excess of 30 days, so we went to the trouble of getting him a tourist visa, but the Thai immigration officer at Suvarnabhumi informed us that we needn't have done so as overstay legislation is not enforced against children under the age of fourteen. He otherwise now has his Thai passport which we shall use in the future.

Scouse.

....I will get his Thai passport when in Thailand tho....can I get it in any city?

You can get a Thai passport at any one of the passport offices in Thailand You must go in person and it would be better if both parents go otherwise you will need permission from the other to apply. They will however return the passport to you by courier (at a little extra expense) and it takes about a week.

Edited by Mahout Angrit

my general advice is that whatevr passport you enter on, you need to depart on.

That means (probably) use the british PP for now to come and go and on a subsequent trip to thailand in the future, he can use the Thai PP to enter.

Otherwise, if you happen to get the travel document from the RTE, then by all means depart Thailand on the Thai PP that you get for him in thailand.

Don't get yourself into the tangle that this bloke got himself into:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=113467

Hiya All,

Thanks for your prompt replies and advice. I have taken the option of getting the Tourist stamp in the UK then on arrival will get his Thai Passport in Bangkok. I think this way is better so the British one can be stamped as normal on exit, thus creating no hassle.

Does anyone know the opening times for Laksi, Bangkok?

Thanks again for all replies.

:o

Edited by lopburiguy

Government offices usually open 8 or 8.30am.

The passport office at Laksi is very efficient. The passport application is a slip of paper, as they pull all the information from the house registry data base.

You should have the option of having the passport to you via registered mail (about 5 day turn around) or you can go back and pick it up for yourself in three.

Best if both parents are there, so the appropriate signatures can go wherever they need to go.

Government offices usually open 8 or 8.30am.

The passport office at Laksi is very efficient. The passport application is a slip of paper, as they pull all the information from the house registry data base.

You should have the option of having the passport to you via registered mail (about 5 day turn around) or you can go back and pick it up for yourself in three.

Best if both parents are there, so the appropriate signatures can go wherever they need to go.

Thank you Samran that clarifies alot.

Thanks again :o