Visa denied, exempt as an alternative?

12 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Unfortunately I am married to a Thai lady now so I can't just up and leave.

I would describe my situation differently, I am very fortunate to be married to my Thai Lady, but have no confidence in be able to stay in Thailand ongoing!

12 minutes ago, SteveK said:

At your age I would steer clear of Thailand. They only want you here if you are loaded, if you get involved with a local girl, heartbreak will surely ensue.

Seems good advice!  Especially if your local then finds your home country too cold to live in, for half of the year ????, in the future.

43 minutes ago, UKresonant said:

I would describe my situation differently, I am very fortunate to be married to my Thai Lady, but have no confidence in be able to stay in Thailand ongoing!

Apologies for my wording. Of course I am lucky to have found a very lovely lady to settle down with. What I meant is that it's just a shame that I did so in a country which obviously just wants me to go home.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Apologies for my wording. Of course I am lucky to have found a very lovely lady to settle down with. What I meant is that it's just a shame that I did so in a country which obviously just wants me to go home.

Might want to look at taking her back to your country.

1 minute ago, moontang said:

Might want to look at taking her back to your country.

That wouldn't work unless I took her entire extended family back too, and happened to have about 500k GBP knocking about for a decent sized family home. Even then she'd want to go home after 6 months.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, SteveK said:

It's unfortunate for me because I have made roots and got married in a country in which one day I may no longer be able to enter. If I had known how militant the immigration would become, I may have thought twice.

Wish I'd reproduced with a Viet ........ $50 for a 5 year VISA if you have a Viet wife or children.

• Like 1

I wouldn't fancy your chances of getting another tourist visa anywhere in the region with your history. (I would say you have no chance in Laos)

As long as you haven't used up your 2 land border exemptions this year, then you should have no problem crossing from Laos on visa exemption. (Or most land borders for that matter)

An education visa is something you could look in to, as you haven't got one yet, but not cheap.

A new passport would give you a blank slate when it comes to obtaining visas in the region, but obviously not at immigration checkpoints.

7 minutes ago, mockingbird said:

An education visa is something you could look in to, as you haven't got one yet, but not cheap.

A new passport would give you a blank slate when it comes to obtaining visas in the region, but obviously not at immigration checkpoints.

With his history, an education visa would be viewed with contempt.

A new passport does nothing. Everything is stored on the computer. A good way to get new pages only.

Get married, get a non-O and tie yourself onto a sinking ship. Or go to Vietnam and have the time of your life.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SteveK said:

A new passport does nothing. Everything is stored on the computer. A good way to get new pages only.

I see. And, Steve, in case I still try to apply for the visa and they reject me, would this be reflected in the passport somehow? Or would they just not give me the visa and the passport would remain unaffected?

2 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Wrong. Consulates don't have access to immigration records. A new passport will enable him to obtain an education visa in the region. 

He could then cross using a friendly land border.

2 minutes ago, mockingbird said:

Wrong. Consulates don't have access to immigration records. A new passport will enable him to obtain an education visa in the region. 

He could then cross using a friendly land border.

Yes, I am 100% sure he could get an education visa. Whether or not he would be let in with one is what I am talking about.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kerouacaurus said:

Thanks for your opinion, Steve. I think it's risky as well. I'm just 26 currently, the only normal visa opportunity for me is essentially an elite visa that I would definitely not be able to afford at this time, I've tried to research opportunities regarding this.

I wish you the best of luck in what ever you wish. 

8 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Yes, I am 100% sure he could get an education visa. Whether or not he would be let in with one is what I am talking about.

Sure. But not all entry points have the same policies. With a valid visa he should have no problem at most land borders (Poipet being the notable exception).

21 minutes ago, Kerouacaurus said:

I see. And, Steve, in case I still try to apply for the visa and they reject me, would this be reflected in the passport somehow? Or would they just not give me the visa and the passport would remain unaffected?

Quite often they charge you for the VISA, stick it in your passport, then write VOID across it.

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Quite often they charge you for the VISA, stick it in your passport, then write VOID across it.

Yes so not only do they waste your time and take your money but they also use up a page of your passport. How lovely of them. Just another of the many ways that they like to hamper and frustrate you in any way possible.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Go to Siem Reap, packed with young foreigners like yourself, very cheap to live, almost the same as Thailand, but the beer is cheaper and everyone smokes cannabis all the time. Garden Village Guesthouse and Pool bar, $10 for a double fan room, great swimming pool, large 'smoking' area, beer served by the pool for 50c a glass, 24/7. Try it ..... you'll like it.

They got some pretty damn hot girls too.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Go to Siem Reap, packed with young foreigners like yourself, very cheap to live, almost the same as Thailand, but the beer is cheaper and everyone smokes cannabis all the time. Garden Village Guesthouse and Pool bar, $10 for a double fan room, great swimming pool, large 'smoking' area, beer served by the pool for 50c a glass, 24/7. Try it ..... you'll like it.

Good plan. 

• Like 1

Ok guys... here my story (WALL OF TEXT):

I've been in Thailand a year in 2012-2013 on SETV/Visa exempt, then when back to Canada. Then from October 2015 to now all in Thailand on SETV/Visa exempt except for about a year half 2017 to half 2018 I was in Cambodia. It's my 2nd passport and it's at page 23, so two-third full.

I have a Thai GF since late 2015 who travel with me every time. I have avoided both BKK and Phuket airport since coming back in 2015 because I know how brutal they are with the crackdown. We have lived mostly in Chiang Mai and around Khon Kaen (we are now in Chum Phae).

Everything was fine up until 2 months ago. I try to back to back Tourist visa attempt in Savannakhet. They didn't even take my passport because they told my GF I had the "too many tourist visa" stamp which I receive 3 months prior also in Savannakhet. They told her that even if I try, I would get denied so they are saving me time. I didn't even notice that stamp which is 100% my fault.

Long story short we then took the bus from Savannakhet to Luang Prabang, and then we flew direct flight from Luang Prabang to Chiang Mai (the only way to avoid BKK). I got my first 30 days visa exempt by air in 2019 (already got the two by land). It was actually my only time entering by air this year (others were exempt or tourist visa from Laos, as I live near the border). I don't think being my first time by air in 2019 is that relevant but never know. Chiang Mai was easy, before going to the counter some officer was reading the arrival card of everyone to ask for their reason to be in Thailand. I told him I had a Thai GF and pointed to her. I was not asked anything else, nor anything at the counter.

Anyways, fast forward now, my plan for 2020 is set. I will do the two border run and then either get a new passport with probably 5-6 pages left, or get married and get the proper visa. BUT, I still have one exit-entry to do this year (I have to leave at worse November 30).

The cheapest option for me/Thai GF (she always travel with me), is to direct flight KK - Hat Yai (1.5k baht each), and then take whatever bus or train to Kuala Lumpur and the next day fly back KL to Surat Thani (which is crazy cheap like 750 baht each), and then bus or train back to KK. I've done worse before.

I could also do a Tourist visa in KL. I have not been in Malaysia since 2016, and my last tourist visa there... I don't even think I ever got one. My friend got one few months back and he has been here 10 years and he told me the process was easy. The issue with that option is that it will be overall way more costly and I don't think it will increase my chance in Surat Thani airport. I don't think visa exempt or tourist visa matter anymore, they are both equivalent by air entry, it's totally up to IO.

The third option could be to get a tourist visa in Kuala Lumpur and try to fly to Laos to land entry from there, as IO there know me and laugh everytime I try to come in. Land entry in Nong Khai and Mukdahan are just as easy as Mae Sai. Very very easy no question asked, but I am out of border run.

Another option is to try to go to Vietnam for a SETV, I actually never went to Vietnam but if I am denied there how the **** am I getting back in while avoiding BKK? (I could go to CM from Vietnam if denied but I was in CM 2 months ago), this is why I want to try Surat Thani.

So to me it comes down to Surat Thani. I know that BKK, Phuket, Krabi, etc, are tough, and Chiang Mai a piece of cake but I would like to avoid back-to-back 30 days visa exempt from there. 

So yeah if Surat Thani is easy I will try to KL - Surat Thani, but if not, what is my best option? This will most likely be my last ever visa exempt entry ever, as i'm tired of this.

Thx!

1 hour ago, Tomate said:

The third option could be to get a tourist visa in Kuala Lumpur and try to fly to Laos to land entry from there, as IO there know me and laugh everytime I try to come in. Land entry in Nong Khai and Mukdahan are just as easy as Mae Sai. Very very easy no question asked, but I am out of border run.

Maybe I'm misreading your post,  but if you obtain a tourist visa in Kuala Lumpur ,  and enter at a Laos land border , what does 'out of border run' have got to do with it? (I assume you mean you've used up your 2 land borders visa exemption allowance.) .

BTW it's always better to have a visa than entering on visa exemption.

Good luck

32 minutes ago, mockingbird said:

Maybe I'm misreading your post,  but if you obtain a tourist visa in Kuala Lumpur ,  and enter at a Laos land border , what does 'out of border run' have got to do with it? (I assume you mean you've used up your 2 land borders visa exemption allowance.) .

BTW it's always better to have a visa than entering on visa exemption.

Good luck

Yes, I mean that if I get the tourist visa I can fly to Laos and enter Thailand by land which seems safer then most airport. I have no clue about these South Thailand airport so I trust entering via Mukdahan or Nong Khai more then Surat Thani, Hua Hin, etc. Ive been told to avoid Samui and Krabi but no idea about Surat Thani, it seems like nobody go there, lol.

Edited by Tomate

13 minutes ago, Tomate said:

Yes, I mean that if I get the tourist visa I can fly to Laos and enter Thailand by land which seems safer then most airport. I have no clue about these South Thailand airport so I trust entering via Mukdahan or Nong Khai more then Surat Thani, Hua Hin, etc. Ive been told to avoid Samui and Krabi but no idea about Surat Thani, it seems like nobody go there, lol.

Ah OK.  Gotcha.

You should have no problem entering at a Laos land border with a visa.  Your problem will be getting the visa from a regional consulate with your history.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mockingbird said:

Ah OK.  Gotcha.

You should have no problem entering at a Laos land border with a visa.  Your problem will be getting the visa from a regional consulate with your history.

My friend has been in Thailand for 10 years and he got a tourist visa in KL about 4 months ago, so that give me hope to go there and try. He said it was easy, just like Penang once was (but no longer the case he says).

Knowing myself and because I will leave this Saturday I might do KL - Surat Thani Sunday, worse case they send me back KL, right? No report of people denied on 30 days visa exempt in Surat Thani and my Thai GF always travel with me. It was a piece of cake 2 months ago in CM airport but these south airport scare me. Every airport north Thailand is free for all, zero hassle.

Edited by Tomate