Seoul to help Thailand establish ‘smart cities’ in 2020

snoop1130

Seoul to help Thailand establish ‘smart cities’ in 2020

By THE NATION

800_be48dbc1879694b.jpg

Puttipong Punnakanta

Thailand and South Korea are ready to work together in applying operational and technological know-how to the further development of “smart cities” in Thailand next year.

“We were successful in negotiating many points, such as urban development, safety, transportation and water management,” Minister of Digital Economy and Society Puttipong Punnakanta said following an Asean-South Korea Ministerial Meeting on the subject this week.

Puttipong presided at the session along with Kim Yun Mi, South Korea’s Minister of Land, Infrastructure and Transport.

The Digital Economy Promotion Agency was assigned to take charge of the cooperation with Seoul in accordance with five operational guidelines.

“The guidelines concern a joint study on the viability of creating smart cities, co-investment in manufacturing plants and infrastructure, the establishment of a joint intelligence coordination centre, development of smart-city skills and organising seminars and exhibitions,” Puttipong said.

The agency signed a memorandum of understanding with the Korea Transport Institute and Korea Research Institute for Human Settlements regarding collaboration on transportation and city development.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30378817

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-11-27

1 minute ago, Orton Rd said:

Hope it will cover how to build pavements, not building bridges on them, disabled access ...

Was at Chit Lom BTS a few days ago and, stone the crows, the first time I've ever seen a lift on a BTS platform providing disabled access and suchlike.  Still, get down to ground level and you're on your own.  

Smart citys.... bla bla bla bla....Smart this bla bla bla bla....Smart that bla bla bla bla.....

I never knew smart could be made to sound confusing...O-well Digital 4.0 smartness to the rescue bla bla bla bla bla......

Edited by fforest1

6 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

I think part of the deal is to exchange 10 or 20 million locals for locals. 

Either that or expel 95% of the population from the Thai cities, leaving a small number of High Quality Tourists and an even smaller number of locals. 

Smart City -> Problem Solved 

Stupid post by somebody who knows nothing about Smart Cities

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

It’s going to cost them to deal with the mess in Thailand-many issues can’t be fixed because they are social and cultural.  The Koreans can give advice, but the they won’t do the work for them without substantial cost.  Yes hey would be wise if I cancel the Chinese trains, and pay the Koreans to work on these issues

6 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

You would be surprised how much I know and what work I've done.

What do you know about smart cities?

I am doing the PM of the implementation. What about you because if you know so much, why would you make such a stupid remark before then? Was that just an urge to insult the Thai people? 

Edited by FritsSikkink

15 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

I am doing the PM of the implementation. What about you because if you know so much, why would you make such a stupid remark before then? Was that just an urge to insult the Thai people? 

My remark was meant to indicate that I have NO faith that Thai cities will be "smart". 

I don't simply believe whatever people here in Thailand say, just because they say it. 

I also do not ever give Thais the benefit of the doubt because I have lived here for 30 years and I have enough evidence to know that usually people are all talk talk talk. 

Do you believe whatever people tell you? 

• Like 1

Thai Government actually going to other more developed countries/governments in Asia for advise and assistance on development in Thailand?

I can not believe this story, it is not compatible with the Thai Ego, it must be FAKE NEWS!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

My remark was meant to indicate that I have NO faith that Thai cities will be "smart". 

I don't simply believe whatever people here in Thailand say, just because they say it. 

I also do not ever give Thais the benefit of the doubt because I have lived here for 30 years and I have enough evidence to know that usually people are all talk talk talk. 

Do you believe whatever people tell you? 

All depends who I am talking too and if they can backup their talks with actions.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

All depends who I am talking too and if they can backup their talks with actions.

Yes, that is a fair attitude. 

So, assuming you know alot about this, please give me some hints and a timeline for a notable success. 

Approximately when will any city in Thailand be successful considered smart? 

Perhaps the South Koreans are not the best people to consult on this particular subject. True, they created the world's first smart city. But Songdo, 25 miles outside the capital, Seoul, is hardly the paradise painted by its planners.

Built on land reclaimed from the sea, Songdo was promoted by a partnership of big business and government as a hi-tech antidote to overcrowded, polluted big city living. The vision was to construct a car-free world, with 40 per cent green space and dozens of kilometres of cycling routes.

But the bike racks are mostly empty and the development itself overdue, overpriced and underpopulated. It suffers from what one critic described as ‘a Chernobyl-like emptiness’. Songdo's story is a cautionary tale Thais should take to heart.

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/business/article/2137838/south-koreas-smart-city-songdo-not-quite-smart-enough

Edited by Krataiboy