Before: Pattaya never sleeps! After: Everyone in bed by 11 pm: Resort is dead say Thais

webfact

10 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

The official reason is funds have been given by the central authorities for it 

and it has to be spend before the end of the year. So the Bankgok authorities are to blame here.

However in an advanced country the construction work along beach road 

(To dig a trench to bury a large storm drain PVC pipe) should take at worst some weeks.

I am still trying to understand why this relatively simple work takes more than 6 months

to do it here in thailand

On the other hand the wastewater treatment plant situated beetwen the end of beach road and the entry of walking street is still a work in progress since more than 10 years...

Yep, if the money are not spent during this year it will be given less next year - this is how the municipal and state budget processes works - not only in LOS ... :thumbsup:

• Like 2

nonsense.  its far from deserted, ok its probably not as busy as it use to be, but to try and make out its some sort of ghost town is b***ocks. I went there Friday and the first 3 hotels I tried were full.  the bars were busy not rammed but there was plenty of people about. there really is some nonsense talked about on here,unless theres another pattaya im unaware of, its certainly far from dead

• Like 2

On 12/1/2019 at 2:38 PM, Pattaya46 said:

So this topic was about Pattaya supposedly dead.

Here is a pic (from Internet) of Pattaya Beach Road last night :

1298358415_IMG_20191130_210332(1).jpg.d4

Dead? I don't think so... :cool:

As others have pointed out, there was a fireworks festival, but I have a question for you.  Have these people bought anything????

• Like 2

On 12/1/2019 at 2:20 PM, DannyCarlton said:

Not IME. Was in my regular bar last night. Heaving, couldn't get a seat. Girls as you described. Real party atmosphere, owner buying drinks and had a lock in for at least 2 hours after the bar had officially closed.

My mate, here on holiday, met a girl in there last night, fell in love and will probably take her to Phuket on Monday.

Reports of Pattaya's death are greatly exaggerated!

Name of bar, please?

36 minutes ago, Leaver said:

// but I have a question for you.  Have these people bought anything????

Why for me? I have no idea about the answer, and I don't care.

The topic was about Pattaya being dead. I just showed that this WE it wasn't. :cool:

5 hours ago, Yadon Toploy said:

Why did they wait until high season to do major construction work all along beach road?

Hilariously inept, these clowns. I'd be furious if my income depended on their idiotic decisions.

All the way to immigration for me today, Beach Rd and Thrappaya. 

• Like 1

On 11/28/2019 at 10:31 PM, Cadbury said:

Lunatic laws like the licencing of dart boards and banning of bar games like Connect Four and Jenga. Powercrazy madmen running the Country. 

http://www.thailandroad.com/blog/connect-four-banned-in-thailand/

Jenga.jpg

Dartboard.jpeg

yeah, pretty foolish because the reality is anybody can and some do bet on anything, not just a board or table game.  Some people will bet on which direction the cockroach on the floor will turn in the next 30 seconds.  Big brother Thailand has gotten absurd and the western expats anyway by the numbers seem tired of it.

• Like 2

Any of you old timers remember the farang hotel owner that always had a towel on his shoulder? I met him years ago. Is he still around. At the time he was pretty famous. 

On 12/2/2019 at 4:00 PM, Pattaya46 said:

Why for me? I have no idea about the answer, and I don't care.

The topic was about Pattaya being dead. I just showed that this WE it wasn't. :cool:

The point is, Pattaya can be busy by way of tourist numbers, but if those tourists do not buy anything / spend money here, then whilst it's not dead as far as numbers are concerned, it's dead by revenue generated. 

• Like 2

On 11/29/2019 at 1:21 PM, kingofthemountain said:

I can't blame the police for this

i live here and i am also stopped at the check points for controls

drive licence, insurance, tax, alcool and whatever

i have never had to pay something, 

And i do not want to be killed or wounded on the road by a rented big motorbike

drived by a drunk stupid tourist with no licence and who have no clue about the drive in Thailand.

So get some proper public transport. Back home in Europe I have driven to bar / restaurant exactly 0 times. Because I could catch a tram, or bus even at 3am with little bit of planning.

You can't do that in Thailand even in the capital city of 10 million people. Let alone anywhere else in the country. Taxi drivers will try to scam you, and your great night is ruined. That is the main reason people drink drive here.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HeyHeyHey said:

So get some proper public transport. Back home in Europe I have driven to bar / restaurant exactly 0 times. Because I could catch a tram, or bus even at 3am with little bit of planning.

Bars all supposed to be closed by midnight.

No bus provided for illegal drinkers.

Edited by BritManToo

3 minutes ago, HeyHeyHey said:

You can't do that in Thailand even in the capital city of 10 million people. Let alone anywhere else in the country. Taxi drivers will try to scam you, and your great night is ruined. That is the main reason people drink drive here.

Never been scammed by a taxi driver in LOS...People drink and drive here because they want too, plus the fear of a cop is near nil....

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Bars all supposed to be closed by midnight.

No bus provided for illegal drinkers.

That's another issue, not everyone want to go sleep before midnight. But I guess once you step in the grandpa category you can't see over your nose.

You can party in some parts of Europe 24/7 for 365 days a year if you feel like it. I don't know where you from but in my home country we have after clubs that OPEN 5am so the people who want to continue can. Never seen any significant d... behavior from the patrons even though they are smashed. Certainly no gun shots like in Asia or US. Always lot of security guards so nobody would even think of doing something stupid. Real security guards, jacked, and trained but polite... not teenagers earning few extra baht like in Thailand.

People spend money - other people earn money. Business is flourishing and you catch a tram or bus that cost less than bottle of water. 0.00 tolerance for drink driving

1 hour ago, HeyHeyHey said:

The taxi scam is not systematic 

anyway even if the guy charge you 50 or 100 bahts more than the normal price

avoid it justify for you to drive drunk and take the risk for you AND the others

to be wounded or killed? 

Your great night spending hundred or thousands of baths in booze is ruined because

a random taxi charge you 100 bahts more?

Seriously...

On 11/29/2019 at 2:32 PM, Isaan sailor said:

Only three reasons tourism has gone down:

1.  High Baht.

2. High Baht.

3. High Baht.

I tend to disagree sir

1. High baht

2. Economy cornered by hilo families who have monopoly on everything, making goods and services more expensive than the value

3. Scams

4. Fun not allowed

5. Garbage.... garbage everywhere

24 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

The taxi scam is not systematic 

anyway even if the guy charge you 50 or 100 bahts more than the normal price

avoid it justify for you to drive drunk and take the risk for you AND the others

to be wounded or killed? 

Your great night spending hundred or thousands of baths in booze is ruined because

a random taxi charge you 100 bahts more?

Seriously...

<deleted> you talking about?

Are you in your basement in Texas?

I was charged 800 THB / 40 AUD in Samui for not long ride late night, it would cost 1/2 in Sydney and 1/6 in Bangkok

The driver was still behaving like a dic. and wanted me to give him a freaking tip.

And guess what - I had to pay it, because there was no other option. I wanted to ask another taxi but he followed me and send everyone out because "he is my customer"

Edited by HeyHeyHey
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, HeyHeyHey said:

<deleted> you talking about?

Are you in your basement in Texas?

I was charged 800 THB / 40 AUD in Samui for not long ride late night, it would cost 1/2 in Sydney and 1/6 in Bangkok

The driver was still behaving like a dic. and wanted me to give him a freaking tip.

And guess what - I had to pay it, because there was no other option. I wanted to ask another taxi but he followed me and send everyone out because "he is my customer"

It's uncessary for you to become rude, i am not a taxi trying to ripp off you

i am in my basement in Pattaya where i actualy live. I have never go to Texas

or anywhere in the USA, i am french.

I was in Samui some years ago, yes the taxis are pretty expensive on the island

but Samui is not so big, so i have walked a lot with my feet, free ride lol

You still have an option to avoid the taxis, chose a place to reside where

you have enough comodities around, and If you can't, the last option is to avoid Samui

i go here one time, but not two because imo it's just does'nt worth the costs and the bother.

If you can not manage one of the things above, well it's not so difficult to not drink alcool, or are you an addict? In this case you need help.

Again sorry but nothing can justify to drive drunk

you are a danger for yourself (It's your choice) but also

for the others (And it's a totaly selfish and irresponsible attitude)

Edited by kingofthemountain

I apologize of my rude remark. I think we actually have similar opinion but it's not that easy to express correctly on forum.

8 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

Samui is not so big, so i have walked a lot with my feet

Samui is very big, it's the second biggest island in Thailand, over 220km2 

If you want to go for late night drinks or party it's Chaweng but it's not the best location to stay at. Lot of soi dogs that can be aggressive at night as well.

10 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

i am in my basement in Pattaya where i actualy live

Pattaya is actually not bad for transport - cheap songtaew and Grab available. I just don't like the ladyboy and lady of the night stuff so never considered to live there.

12 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

If you can not manage one of the things above, well it's not so difficult to not drink alcool, or are you an addict? In this case you need help.

Again sorry but nothing can justify to drive drunk

you are a danger for yourself (It's your choice) but also

for the others (And it's a totaly selfish and irresponsible attitude)

Again this point - you seem to aim at me as being the irresponsible drunk making others in danger. Well that is definitely not, I'm just saying the drink driving could be significantly eradicated if reasonable transport is available.

Wages are low in Thailand, petrol is quite cheap as well. Would not cost much to provide few minibuses that take people home for let's say 100 THB per person. But they won't do it. So people decide to drink and drive instead.

Why they won't do it? Because it's all mafia based, even Grab or Uber has not attempt to touch Samui. In Bali they beat the drivers, in Hua Hin too - you now have to take selfie before ordering a grab.

So my point isn't to excuse drink driving, but simply saying I understand why people do it, and it could be eradicated by some fairly simple changes. Of course the simple changes means threatening Lamborghini and Maledives lifestyle to small amount of people who are very dangerous.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HeyHeyHey said:

And guess what - I had to pay it, because there was no other option.

If you cant drink 6-8 beers and walk 10 kilometers home, you are a lightweight, or you live too far away from the nightlife you so desire. I have walked home many times as I just do not trust motorcycle taxis, luckily Pattaya has the Songthaew / baht buse (10 baht) 

3 hours ago, HeyHeyHey said:

But I guess once you step in the grandpa category you can't see over your nose.

Yes am in that category, but I accepted what Thailand was like before retiring here.

I don't complain about how things are better somewhere else or things cost more than they do somewhere else.  

4 hours ago, HeyHeyHey said:

I apologize of my rude remark. I think we actually have similar opinion but it's not that easy to express correctly on forum.

Samui is very big, it's the second biggest island in Thailand, over 220km2 

If you want to go for late night drinks or party it's Chaweng but it's not the best location to stay at. Lot of soi dogs that can be aggressive at night as well.

Pattaya is actually not bad for transport - cheap songtaew and Grab available. I just don't like the ladyboy and lady of the night stuff so never considered to live there.

Again this point - you seem to aim at me as being the irresponsible drunk making others in danger. Well that is definitely not, I'm just saying the drink driving could be significantly eradicated if reasonable transport is available.

Wages are low in Thailand, petrol is quite cheap as well. Would not cost much to provide few minibuses that take people home for let's say 100 THB per person. But they won't do it. So people decide to drink and drive instead.

Why they won't do it? Because it's all mafia based, even Grab or Uber has not attempt to touch Samui. In Bali they beat the drivers, in Hua Hin too - you now have to take selfie before ordering a grab.

So my point isn't to excuse drink driving, but simply saying I understand why people do it, and it could be eradicated by some fairly simple changes. Of course the simple changes means threatening Lamborghini and Maledives lifestyle to small amount of people who are very dangerous.

Yes you are right the taxi mafia at a few places is really a pain in the a....

On 12/5/2019 at 8:52 PM, HeyHeyHey said:

I tend to disagree sir

1. High baht

2. Economy cornered by hilo families who have monopoly on everything, making goods and services more expensive than the value

3. Scams

4. Fun not allowed

5. Garbage.... garbage everywhere

I agree. 

Many things here are a false economy.  Just take wine and cheese for example. 

These goods and services in a false economy, are further inflated by a high baht,

Thai landlords are in the category of HiSo families that have pushed up rents and taxes here, and kept the baht over valued, to suit themselves.  Unreasonable rents get passed onto the consumer, and the high baht means they can buy assets offshore a lot cheaper. 

• Like 1

On 12/2/2019 at 2:40 PM, paulikens said:

nonsense.  its far from deserted, ok its probably not as busy as it use to be, but to try and make out its some sort of ghost town is b***ocks. I went there Friday and the first 3 hotels I tried were full.  the bars were busy not rammed but there was plenty of people about. there really is some nonsense talked about on here,unless theres another pattaya im unaware of, its certainly far from dead

the anti pattaya comments, are usually from people ,who seldom, if ever, visit pattaya...  i dont know why there is so much hatred about the place....

dont be so miserable guys---lighten up....

• Thanks 1

On 12/5/2019 at 12:13 PM, Skallywag said:

If you cant drink 6-8 beers and walk 10 kilometers home, you are a lightweight, or you live too far away from the nightlife you so desire. I have walked home many times as I just do not trust motorcycle taxis, luckily Pattaya has the Songthaew / baht buse (10 baht) 

Yes am in that category, but I accepted what Thailand was like before retiring here.

I don't complain about how things are better somewhere else or things cost more than they do somewhere else.  

Really? 

Personally, if someone had a drink on Samui, but puttered home at 20 km/hr on their motorcycle, it might not be an issue. Everyone can easily avoid and little chance of hurting anyone.

Leave the car at home.

The problem is drink drivers who think they can drive normally. 

Best option to perhaps rent a bicycle and not drink too much. ????

But you've taken the wrong tack with HeyHeyHey... You can love Samui without loving the taxi mafia.

So I understand him. Having to pay 800 baht each time in order to get home, can act as a deterrent to doing the right thing.

No doubt people would be happy to have the choice of sitting and waiting for a Songthaew to fill up, paying a more reasonable price of 100 baht per person to be dropped off. Those in a hurry can pay the 800.