Finger Pointing Needed

FTB

Greetings,

Landing shortly in your wonderful town for a 1 year stay, and curious on how you handle internet access.

I shall be staying in a condo/apt and have a budget of about 10,000 bht/month for rent. I have perused the accommodation threads in this forum and these sights showing rentals in CNX:

www.better-homes.com

http://www.ht-real-estate.com

http://www.n-inter.co.th/Condo.html

I am not seeing internet access being provided by units in my price range other than Huay Keaw Residence. Is this simply not advertised or is it usually not provided in this price range?

Other than hitting up the local wireless hotspots or internet cafes how can one gain internet access if living in an apartment/condo? Is it possible to be supplied access by having cables pulled to the apartments like most of you do in your homes or is that not done over here?

Can most apt/condos provide it for an additional fee?

Any hints on units under 10k per month with internet access available?

Thanks in advance for any finger pointing, yelling, lies, warnings, etc.

Edited by FTB

Landing shortly in your wonderful town for a 1 year stay, and curious on how you handle internet access.

looking forward to you coming and hope you enjoy our special little part of the world

I shall be staying in a condo/apt and have a budget of about 10,000 bht/month for rent. I have perused the accommodation threads in this forum and these sights showing rentals in CNX

I am not seeing internet access being provided by units in my price range other than Huay Keaw Residence. Is this simply not advertised or is it usually not provided in this price range?

It depends on the condo and building. Some have access as a package with Cable TV others can arrange a WiFi connect and others have no idea what you are talking about.

Other than hitting up the local wireless hotspots or internet cafes how can one gain internet access if living in an apartment/condo? Is it possible to be supplied access by having cables pulled to the apartments like most of you do in your homes or is that not done over here?

Normally they will not be happy about you pulling cables through walls and things. Some condos have a cable/internet access line running along the outside of the condo between the wall (the door to the condo) and the ceiling. It then is a relatively simple matter of getting a cable connection fitted from there inside the condo. If the building is new(ish) it will normally have Cable included because it is a standard feature. It it is an older apartment it will have had a previous tenent in which case it will possible have had cable access laid and you are lucky. If not it can be a real pain in the butt.

Regarding the price - EVERYTHING here is negotiable, they will weigh you up and quote how much they thing the can get out of you and then double it to allow for haggling. Rent prepaid for a year is cheaper than by the month, but if you pay and then decide to leave don't even think about getting your money/deposit back

Can most apt/condos provide it for an additional fee?

some not all - many condos will have it as an optional extra - like aircon/water/electricity/cable/phone - some will bundle it and you pay irrespective of what you want or use.

Any hints on units under 10k per month with internet access available?

My standard advice on this is to suggest you find a nice hotel for a week - settle in and then look around, find a guest house where you can rent for the week or month and settle in there. Then look around, talk to the locals, and get a feel for where you like to live, eat, drink. You may want all the amenities of home so your needs will be different to someone who wants the full - live in a Thai village and get it on type person. If you speak Thai that will affect where you want and can live. If you don't speak Thai you will need areas that are farung friendly and speak at least some English/American. They tend to be more expensive but have the amenities that these people want - coffee shops/pizza/restaurants/high speed internet access/ medical/dental etc.

Thanks in advance for any finger pointing, yelling, lies, warnings, etc.

You are welcome - hope the trip is everything and more than you hope for

CB

I just heard of a new place not far from Wat Jet Yod called Link Apartments. It is about 6000 a month and has wifi. Also, the big apartment complex next to Powerhouse is about 6000 and has wireless.

They would be good options for him - enough expats and farung friendly locals to help him and not so many bitching farung as to make him wonder why he came here in the first place

They single room apartments or single bedroom with attached living/sitting/kitchen condos?

CB

BTW HKR is a TINY apartment, and the internet was 300 a month and SLOOOOOOOOOOOW. There are many un advertised places here in CM, infact look at www.chiangmainews.com and their classifieds, sometimes you find people renting out their places for good deals.

looking forward to you coming and hope you enjoy our special little part of the world
Thank you for the kind words. Loved it last year, just recent devlopments :o causing me to go on my own this time round.
I just heard of a new place not far from Wat Jet Yod called Link Apartments. It is about 6000 a month and has wifi. Also, the big apartment complex next to Powerhouse is about 6000 and has wireless.

Thanks for the hints, greatly appreciated. Are the Link apartments on the same street as Wat Jet Yod or a back street nearby.

BTW HKR is a TINY apartment, and the internet was 300 a month and SLOOOOOOOOOOOW. There are many un advertised places here in CM, infact look at www.chiangmainews.com and their classifieds, sometimes you find people renting out their places for good deals.

Thanks for the info. HKR is at the bottom of my list, sadly my list is quite short though. HKR is exactly what I would like to avoid if possible, huge impersonal complex's not my cup of tea. Chiangmai news website seems to be down now, I'll keep checking. Thanks again.

Can you guys do me a favor and have the burning ashes in the air cleaned up before I arrive next week :D , I will of course do my part and refrain from eating at the KoreanBBQ joints.