Immigration Accused Of Sexual Abuse, Gang Rape

george

To answer your question:  The ones who run away from their responsibilities to free their Burmese brothers and sisters from a usurping dictatorship are doing nothing to help.  They're leaving them in a lurch.

Oh yes, of course. The millions exploited, displaced, refugee people in the world are responsible for doing nothing and accepting harsh conditions.

I agree that people have to help themselves to get something but I also think you should have been born in Myanmar and show them how to assault gunmen with naked hand and how not to let the others in a lurch. It's not so simple. Don't forget that all the leaders against the junta in Myanmar are jailed for long time. You would probably be with.

All these young people who come to work in Thailand are for most of them aged from 15 to 25. Some are older but quite some are much younger. Most of them are uneducated and terrified. Impossible to make a single move over there. Let's go home youngsters. I don't think they run away from their responsibilities coming to work in Thailand. They have to feed the old ones in Myanmar and also their young brothers and sisters. Maybe, the poor should take their responsibilities and not make babies?

Some people just want not to fight against guns but hope for a simple life.

I deeply recommend you to come to Maesot and visit the small AAPP's museum. You'll see what happened when thousand Burmese demonstrated peacefully and what's going on since 1988, you'll learn about Burmese prisons, torture and so much....then finally you might understand why they come to Thailand.

AAPP: Assistance Association for Political Prisoners

Also sometimes, have a look at MRTV, the unique national channel; especially at the end of the program (not programs). Brainwashing!

I personally do not have the solution but more and more I think Burmese people need an external help.

Finally, whatever the reasons they come here for, nothing can justify the Thai immigration and Thai police behaviours towards these poor migrants. Even their victims are legal or not, SHAME on them! Let's hope the Thai justice prosecute them :o .

Why the police have to pay to come to work in Maesot? Don't you think that the headquarter knows for very long time that is a high profit making area?

"As for defending human abuse with differing cultural values, I am sorry if I disagree and piss in your face, because in my culture that is perfectly polite behaviour when you disagree with someone."

No need to be sorry.

It is curious, that the same kind of people who tell us it's okey to rent young Thais for a few dollars for sex, if-they-don't-like-it-why-don't-they-get-a-job; are the same that tell us not to interfere when minority groups are harrassed and abused, because of our different cultural values.

I wonder whether it is just ignorance or are there other motivations?

I agree that human rights are not a cultural issue, and going against discrimination and exploitation is not an exclusively Western ideal.

There are two Burmese families [they call themselves Tai Yai] that rent a small shack across the soi from me. They have told my wife some real horror stories about their lives in Burma. Burmese soldiers making a habit of raping their women and stealing anything they can.Then coming to Thailand and being offered a job in BKK which they hated and WALKING back to Chaingmai while the women was 5 months pregnant. I also notice that they all go to work everyday while most of the young Thai guys up the soi sit around all day drinking whiskey. I think it is hard for most of us to even imagine how tough their lives are. I know that some Thai treat them bad but most of my neighbours are Border Police and seem to treat them quite well often bringing them food and stuff for their two little girls. In fact i have to say that most of my neighbours seem to be good people and are always nice to the token farang on the soi!

The Refugee Camps.... are another area... and not just Thailand's finest are involved..Those NGO dudes..have had their fill in the name of goodwill..

A sad situation.... Immigration and the lot.. no way out

The Refugee Camps.... are another area... and not just Thailand's finest are involved..Those NGO dudes..have had their fill in the name of goodwill..

If you want to help the refugees along the Burmese border and not contribute to corrpution and lazy ass NGO workers then might I suggest a donation to Dr. Cynthia Maung's clinic.

I do think these comments are out of the main subject of this thread.

You condemn the NGOs but it's not them who are commiting these crimes and I really do not understand. You should open a new thread about your resentment against the NGOs.

Some are dudes, I agree but really not all. The same for "lazy ass". You have many kinds of NGOs involved, those concerning the healthcare and those concerning the education (difficult and serious). You have those concerning the Human rights ()...

Never forget that most of the NGO workers are volonteer and get small salary but over all, they do not choose their destination. Thay can be sent for few months or a year in Thailand as it can be in Afghanistan, Sudan, Congo...

The problem is that they haven't got the right to do everything they could do to help. Deeply under the control of the authorities.

I do not belong to any NGOs but I can say some work very hard to help, every day of the week. I know many critisize their big and good 4x4; If they have them, that's normal because they have to go in difficult access areas every day and they need to be sure of their vehicules.

Donation to Cynthya's clinic is a good idea but she's not completly free hands as well and still suppported by NGOs.

A sad situation, I agree. but imagine what it would be without the NGOs...They contribute to keep an equilibrium.