Pakistani Man Gets Life For Murder Of Thai Teacher

george

Pakistani man gets life for murder of Thai teacher

BANGKOK: -- A Pakistani man - convicted of killing a Thai teacher whom he had met through an internet chat service and dismembering her body last year - was given a life sentence Friday.

The Criminal Court at first sentenced 35-year-old Mohammad Arif to death, but lowered the punishment to life imprisonment because his confession was useful to the case.

The court also ordered Arif to pay Bt2 million in compensation, Bt150,000 funeral expenses, and Bt30,000 for the valuables he stole from the victim to the parents of Dissanee Thongnarkthae, an English language teacher from Ubon Ratchathani's Phibun Mangsahan district.

According to the lawsuit, Dissanee on May 7 last year had flown from Ubon Rathcathani to Bangkok to meet Arif - who had misrepresented himself as a handsome Spanish national - in the flesh after they had chatted over the Internet from April to May. The two met at Racha Palace Hotel and Arif then killed Dissanee, dismembered her body, put the parts in a travel bag to be dumped in a canal, before he got away with the victim's valuables worth Bt30,000, the lawsuit said.

-- The Nation 2007-03-30

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

should have let the death penalty stand. But seeing as what he did, i don't think his fellow Thai inmates will be very impressed, so his deserved punishment will probably come sooner rather than later.

BB

He got the death penalty all ready,Thai intimates will take care of that in less than a year

rip

Its amazing how many arabs lie about there true background. You hear many bar girls say that also. A muslim wil say he is either Spanish or Italian to get a woman.

I hope they mess this guy up in prision. What he did, he deserves only the hardest punishment.

Yes But how do they get the 2 million baht from this guy to give to the family? I think it will be impossible. I have no sympathy with anyone that can do this and have no problems executing him sadly the Uk is very weak now with murderers they are oftenn released after only 8 years and repeat.

Its amazing how many arabs lie about there true background. You hear many bar girls say that also. A muslim wil say he is either Spanish or Italian to get a woman.

Do you think no muslim in spania or italia ?! you must know many of spanish peoples are muslims

I dont think it is correct way to attack to cultures , it will reach us to third War World surely

I think every religion has very crazy parts , you can't find a complete religion

I have not religion but i like all peoples . i like buddha , islam , jews and all because i dont look at their religions i look at their souls , humans must be good human , i dont care what he/she beleive

that pakistam man , he is crazy and he msut be punished of course

Do you think no muslim in spania or italia ?! you must know many of spanish peoples are muslims

I dont think it is correct way to attack to cultures , it will reach us to third War World surely

I think every religion has very crazy parts , you can't find a complete religion

I have not religion but i like all peoples . i like buddha , islam , jews and all because i dont look at their religions i look at their souls , humans must be good human , i dont care what he/she beleive

that pakistam man , he is crazy and he msut be punished of course

I THINK WHEN HE RECEIVES HIS THAI WELCOME IN THE PRISON HE WILL WISH THE DEATH SENTANCE HAD STOOD

BANGKOK: -- A Pakistani man - convicted of killing a Thai teacher whom he had met through an internet chat service and dismembering her body last year - was given a life sentence Friday.

The Criminal Court at first sentenced 35-year-old Mohammad Arif to death, but lowered the punishment to life imprisonment because his confession was useful to the case.

The court also ordered Arif to pay Bt2 million in compensation, Bt150,000 funeral expenses, and Bt30,000 for the valuables he stole from the victim to the parents of Dissanee Thongnarkthae, an English language teacher from Ubon Ratchathani's Phibun Mangsahan district.

According to the lawsuit, Dissanee on May 7 last year had flown from Ubon Rathcathani to Bangkok to meet Arif - who had misrepresented himself as a handsome Spanish national - in the flesh after they had chatted over the Internet from April to May. The two met at Racha Palace Hotel and Arif then killed Dissanee, dismembered her body, put the parts in a travel bag to be dumped in a canal, before he got away with the victim's valuables worth Bt30,000, the lawsuit said.

-- The Nation 2007-03-30

This is going to be long thread about something that comments itself. Another opportunity to get the racists started - not yet, but will come for sure. I better leave.

The guy is Pakistani, presumably Muslim, but Pakistanis are not Arabs.

Exactly how many Arabs or Muslims lie about their background from your personal experience?... just so that we can be suitably amazed. 5, 10, 150? Does that include Indonesians and Malays? Palestinians? How many Iranians, who incidentally are also not Arabs?

How many bar girls could distinguish between Arabs, Muslims of whatever nationality, Pakistanis, Italians, Spaniards, Iranians, et al? Why would they sit around talking about it to you even if they could?

I hope they mess this guy up in prision. What he did, he deserves only the hardest punishment.

hey genius, this guy is Paki, not Arab. If you get your facts straight people might actually listen to your inane rantings. :o

The article as posted does not say the guilty party is of the Muslim faith.

And while we support the death penalty in some instances, we have not (nor has anyone here) seen the evidence or testimony in the case. He was sentenced to die and then the sentence was commuted to life in prison. Nowhere does it say he was sentenced to be murdered in prison. Hoping for that sort of thing is not only distasteful, but undermines the very notion of and hope for a meaningful judicial process.

To put it another way, if you ever got a prison term, would prefer the judge or the other inmates decide how your time was served? Mr. Arif's case is an extreme one, but if you accidentally killed someone, yet the court convicted you of murder, would you want to be at the mercy of a prison mob?

Our sympathies in this matter are wholly with the Thongnarkthae family. But one of the hallmarks of civilization is how much civility it will show to the uncivilized.

-- The Nation 2007-03-30

It seems to me that this man had already decided to kill her, how to kill her and how to get rid of the body, long before she reached Bangkok. Maybe the courts decided to let him live so that they could get the money for the family out of him before he gets his just deserts in the prison.

Well, the "silver lining" for me as an American, at least he WASN'T an American posing as a Spaniard. After John Karr put on his 3-Ring Circus and the ongoing fiasco with George Bush, I have been hesitant to claim my true heritage at times...nonetheless, I hope this creep lands himself a Thai cellmate along the lines of an American "Bubba" convicted violent felon.

And while we support the death penalty in some instances, we have not (nor has anyone here) seen the evidence or testimony in the case. He was sentenced to die and then the sentence was commuted to life in prison. Nowhere does it say he was sentenced to be murdered in prison. Hoping for that sort of thing is not only distasteful, but undermines the very notion of and hope for a meaningful judicial process.

To put it another way, if you ever got a prison term, would prefer the judge or the other inmates decide how your time was served? Mr. Arif's case is an extreme one, but if you accidentally killed someone, yet the court convicted you of murder, would you want to be at the mercy of a prison mob?

Our sympathies in this matter are wholly with the Thongnarkthae family. But one of the hallmarks of civilization is how much civility it will show to the uncivilized.

How many non-Muslims you have seen with the "Mohammad" as the part of the name? He is Pakistani and of course he is Muslim as his name suggests. :D

By the way what is ur point in the post? :o

Reason of edit: posted comments at wrong place.

Edited by ajarnmark

he cut the girl into pieces....if that doent deserve capital punishment i dont know what would...i dont think it was an accident he cut her up...

another sad story. The guy must have simply planned it. Faked spaniard? If I read that I know the whole thing was a setup. So we have to recognize that he just came here intentionally to kill a woman. I hope his Allah will punish him too

Yes very true. I believe that his Allah will definitely punish him too. Though I believe that the Allah has already punished him by lowering his death sentence as life sentence. He would definitely wish for death after few years. :o

This is a tragic and pointless act by this man. If that’s what anyone should call him! Yes - let the inmates sort it out now. One thing for everyone and most relevant to the officials serving the courts is to recognize that this man is NOT sick. He has no mental incapacities.

He does deserve the death penalty no matter what insight he provided to the system to what? JUSTIFY? Justify his act or insight to determine his actions that day or his motives? That’s all totally irrelevant at this point.

He deserves the death penalty - no burden to the already crowded and costly prison system - and most of all a message to everyone that this sort of behavior is not tolerated.

The Thai government can deal out death sentences for drug trafficking but fails to reinforce acts such as this by punishment to death. What message does that send - that maybe there is hope that if you murder someone you will get a reprieve from your sentence of "Life" some time later while you serve the sentence.

This man is not sick by any standards. He acted on an impulse. Such people should be punished to the maximum extent the law allows for. Many people everyday suppress wants or desires they recognize as immoral or illegal. Why else would this man plan and even lie about his nationality. Someone like this does not deserve to exist and possibly infect others with his way of thinking.

Are we going to hear about this man 10 years from now doing the same thing in another country? Death makes disposal of these social parasites so much easier.

Social parasite – praying on simple social values – like praying on a child in the park saying you have lost your puppy and need help.

This was an innocent meeting for a woman looking into her future. I am sorry to her family for not getting closure with this man still alive.

Yes but please stick to the topic there was never a mention of him being muslim I mean there is a good chance he may have been but the article does not say this. As regards wars it always amazes me people can be so stupid and nations instead of suffer lack of face will annihalate most of their population rather than say "sorry we were wrong" we made a mistake. Such as Iran at the moment first giving co-ordinates which show the British not in their waters and then changing it, they are all acting like children. Its like fleas on a dog arguing over who owns the dog!! Interestingly perhaps some Thai women do not want a muslim partner as they can have more then 1 wife??? and I think many Thai men already adopt this attitude to women in thailand which thankfully some of the Thai women are now rebelling against and marrying farang as in "their" opinion are more likely to stick by them. Maybe this is why some muslims may try and use anotner nationality??

This still doesnt answer the question of "how do they get the 2 million baht from this guy"

An interesting way would be to execute and sell his organs to better someone elses life and give the proceeds to the family.

No amount of money can bring back a dead person (yet) but it sure could help them.

This is a tragic and pointless act by this man. If that’s what anyone should call him! Yes - let the inmates sort it out now. One thing for everyone and most relevant to the officials serving the courts is to recognize that this man is NOT sick. He has no mental incapacities.

He does deserve the death penalty no matter what insight he provided to the system to what? JUSTIFY? Justify his act or insight to determine his actions that day or his motives? That’s all totally irrelevant at this point.

He deserves the death penalty - no burden to the already crowded and costly prison system - and most of all a message to everyone that this sort of behavior is not tolerated.

The Thai government can deal out death sentences for drug trafficking but fails to reinforce acts such as this by punishment to death. What message does that send - that maybe there is hope that if you murder someone you will get a reprieve from your sentence of "Life" some time later while you serve the sentence.

This man is not sick by any standards. He acted on an impulse. Such people should be punished to the maximum extent the law allows for. Many people everyday suppress wants or desires they recognize as immoral or illegal. Why else would this man plan and even lie about his nationality. Someone like this does not deserve to exist and possibly infect others with his way of thinking.

Are we going to hear about this man 10 years from now doing the same thing in another country? Death makes disposal of these social parasites so much easier.

Social parasite – praying on simple social values – like praying on a child in the park saying you have lost your puppy and need help.

This was an innocent meeting for a woman looking into her future. I am sorry to her family for not getting closure with this man still alive.

glad that the choice isn't yours and never will be!