Are You Ready For Songkran

IMChris

:D Hello all, I will be leaving next week San Francisco to Nong Bu Nack just 2 hours outside Korat ( by BUS that is). This will be my first New Year ( Songkran ) in Thailand. I have been avoiding summer time and work in the States durring the heat of Thailand. So can some of you tell me what you will be doing durring the Holiday. Since I dont drive a TANK I will be keeping a low profile behind a wall in my yard. I have been told that in the bigger cities that you can get killed by water. I said the same thing... :D HUH???? I seems that the water is on the hard side as in ice chunks and if your going 15 to 20 mph and get a face full :o . I dont need to say more. So to all of you in Thailand "Happy New Year" and a face full of water. :D

I'll be visiting my girl friends village in near Phuttaisong, about 60 km north of Buri Ram. Also my first Songkran in Thailand. Bringing plenty of balloons, fill them with water and thus armed I will give as much as I take. I expect to be a prime target up there, so expect to be wet most of the time. Even if it is suposed to be more relaxed than in the towns

Can't beat chunks of dirty ice down your back, also watch out for that powder stuff they mix with water and rub in your face, had a nasty eye infection one year from that, told the wife shes in the back of the pick-up this year, i'm driving, doors locked.

Can't beat chunks of dirty ice down your back, also watch out for that powder stuff they mix with water and rub in your face, had a nasty eye infection one year from that, told the wife shes in the back of the pick-up this year, i'm driving, doors locked.

Will stay home,, it's not fun to get cold from that icy water,,,,and destroy my car from the powder and stuff they put in the water..

let the thai's play, i got enough already

songkran's in sunny birmingham uk for me unfortunately but not so much cold water thrown around and a few thai food stalls, bbq and singha beer at £2/bottle usually. you get a few thousand visitors through b'ham city centre each year and its fun with thais dancing and enjoying themselves but not quite thailand.

When you're in a profession that requires you to be out in it during Songkran, it's not as much fun. For one thing there's the aforementioned road hazard. For another, you have to be so careful with phones, cameras, documents, etc.

I have a small silver bowl... I will fill this bowl with water and then get it blessed at the local Wat... I will then use this to cleanse the feet of my mother and father in law .... then I will lock myself inside the house for three days.

I like traditions, when it's a tradition ..... this one has transformed into a motorcy death fest ..... I had to go to the hospital in Buriram at this time last year (not for me... it was a relative) they had run out of blood and were asking for voluntary donations from visitors, I did, but I don't see why I should have to.

Ban it .... too many people die for no reason.

I'll be visiting my girl friends village in near Phuttaisong, about 60 km north of Buri Ram. Also my first Songkran in Thailand. Bringing plenty of balloons, fill them with water and thus armed I will give as much as I take. I expect to be a prime target up there, so expect to be wet most of the time. Even if it is suposed to be more relaxed than in the towns

I have done Songran in pattaya (where I think they start a little to early) and in the village where my girlfriend lives.

In the village we hired a pick-up truck put 3 yes count them 3 very large containers (about 100 lts each) on the back and off we set (me and about 12 thai people, who let me use the most water).

Don’t ask how many times we filled them up (20 baht to fill the three containers) along the route, after many battles, a few wins and many losses (well they had big hosepipes, no fair).

We ended up at a temple with many people there ( near Tabor I think) had some food and back we came (battling all the way). :D

It was all great fun and I look forward to it again, my only gripe (well 2 actually) ice in the water I don’t like (I nearly have a heart attack sometimes) and it was late about 6 or 7 o’clock when we neared the village, no sun, soaking wet clothes and those bluddy hosepipes were still fully charged.

I also had a few hands stray into the car clutching my nether regions, (i didn't mind the ladies ;) but a few katoeys had a go too :D ) (but each to their own)

I suppose the cost for the day car, water and food at the temple for a dozen people came to around 2 or 2500 baht (worth every penny) :D:D

All in all a good time for me.

So Gimbo good luck with your balloons I wish you well. :D:o

Steve :bah::bah::o

I have done Songran in pattaya (where I think they start a little to early) and in the village where my girlfriend lives.

In the village we hired a pick-up truck put 3 yes count them 3 very large containers (about 100 lts each) on the back and off we set (me and about 12 thai people, who let me use the most water).

Don’t ask how many times we filled them up (20 baht to fill the three containers) along the route, after many battles, a few wins and many losses (well they had big hosepipes, no fair).

We ended up at a temple with many people there ( near Tabor I think) had some food and back we came (battling all the way). :D

It was all great fun and I look forward to it again, my only gripe (well 2 actually) ice in the water I don’t like (I nearly have a heart attack sometimes) and it was late about 6 or 7 o’clock when we neared the village, no sun, soaking wet clothes and those bluddy hosepipes were still fully charged.

I also had a few hands stray into the car clutching my nether regions, (i didn't mind the ladies ;) but a few katoeys had a go too :D ) (but each to their own)

I suppose the cost for the day car, water and food at the temple for a dozen people came to around 2 or 2500 baht (worth every penny) :D:D

And so Songkhran loses it's traditional meaning ..... shame really....... never mind.

I think Songkhran time is good for alcohol sellers and car wash places.

As per tradition, it has done long time ago, Here in Ubon they did try to limit city center from water througing ppl, but not so much effect as police where 1st one who got wet and then they join the party.

Well all the sisters come to the village to be with mama and papa and abviously to bring the fanly together.

Also something new for some of them this year is our daughter.

What my wife is doing this year is blessing the four family houses that stand on a strip, this includes our house two sisters and mama and papa.

But what is nice is the fact that my wife asked her sisters what they wanted to supply for the 9 monk and village Festivity at the blesssings, in other words my wife does want us to foot all the bill.

So its like who buys the veg, who buys the beer, who buys the fatted calf or pig in this case, and of course there is the blessing of the elders in the family, this is where the children of the family bathe there parents, now thats the village /khmer tradition in our village, not much water is thrown about but more the traditional meaning of Songkhran.

Of course I can help with the beer consumption

And so Songkhran loses it's traditional meaning ..... shame really....... never mind.

??? Thai New year, Water festival, are you saying that the thousands of Thai people throwing water at me (and me at them ) have gotten it wrong ???

Please enlighten me (remembering I am a christian) if I am wrong I am always ready to learn (no sarcasm intended).

Thanks

Steve :D:o:D

??? Thai New year, Water festival, are you saying that the thousands of Thai people throwing water at me (and me at them ) have gotten it wrong ???

in reference to tradition , yes ..........................

google will help.

google will help.

We ended up at a temple with many people there ( near Tabor I think) had some food and back we came (battling all the way).

I also had a few hands stray into the car clutching my nether regions, (i didn't mind the ladies :bah: but a few katoeys had a go too :D ) (but each to their own)

I suppose the cost for the day car, water and food at the temple for a dozen people came to around 2 or 2500 baht (worth every penny)

Steve

I understand there is more (at least to the Thai people) to songran (see I cannot even spell that right) than us newbies perceive, but my first songran and my second were amongst the best times I have had in LOS. ;)

I admit I do not hold or practice many of the traditions of my own religion (even those I know) so in my defence, I will try my best to do better next time ( sad to say 2008). :o

I have also heard many farang on this forum say things like, I will stay indoors, leave Thailand till its over and other such miserable rubbish (I pray to God, maybe in the future to Budda, that I don't end up a miserable old fart). (Not casting any aspersions on the people on this forum). :bah:

Thanks for the (google) pointers guys (learning all the time). :D

Steve :D

google will help.

We ended up at a temple with many people there ( near Tabor I think) had some food and back we came (battling all the way).

I also had a few hands stray into the car clutching my nether regions, (i didn't mind the ladies :bah: but a few katoeys had a go too :D ) (but each to their own)

I suppose the cost for the day car, water and food at the temple for a dozen people came to around 2 or 2500 baht (worth every penny)

Steve

I understand there is more (at least to the Thai people) to songran (see I cannot even spell that right) than us newbies perceive, but my first songran and my second were amongst the best times I have had in LOS. ;)

I admit I do not hold or practice many of the traditions of my own religion (even those I know) so in my defence, I will try my best to do better next time ( sad to say 2008). :o

I have also heard many farang on this forum say things like, I will stay indoors, leave Thailand till its over and other such miserable rubbish (I pray to God, maybe in the future to Budda, that I don't end up a miserable old fart). (Not casting any aspersions on the people on this forum). :bah:

Thanks for the (google) pointers guys (learning all the time). :D

At a wedding in the UK or most other parts of the west, it is traditional to throw a handful of rice over the happy couple as they leave the church.

Throw a 500kg bag at them instead...... you get the parallel ?

//edit/spelling

Edited by Thaddeus

I give populated places a wide berth for the 5 or so days of Songkhran. I do enjoy the traditional splash of water that comes with a friendly smile but in most cases it's a full bucket thrown with a vengence and in some cases contains ice, some of the worst offenders are farang and most have no idea what it's all about. Be very careful whilst on your bike.

Sorry to admit it, but I'm one of those "miserable old farts" for whom the novelty of throwing thousands of litres of water and tons of talcum powder at everything and anything that moves, wore off a few years ago. Like 15. :D

So, instead of joining the paralytic (s)pazza's tempting fate :D on the highways and biways of LOS for a week in mid-April each year, our little family of misery bags, takes off and enjoys peace, freedom and happiness in places far from the madding crowd, whether within Thailand or nearby. We've done all the neighbours to date and quite a few National Parks, but this year its Cambodia's turn. Being predominantly Buddhist, I don't doubt that the Khmers will be celebrating New Year too, but hopefully it will be with a little more consideration than in Thailand. Anybody experienced Songkhran in Cambodia in recent years? :o

:D

Thaddeus and others, I understand your concern for tradition, or loss there of, but you cannot expect newbies to follow a tradition they know nothing about.

It is nice that some people like to point out to us newbies the deeper meaning or traditions, and some (like myself) will take on board this wealth of knowledge, but others (sexpats, sex-tourists) will never get it. And so will miss the real Thailand.

So I ask all you long time stayers (with the long time experience and knowledge) be gentle with us newbies, (I assume you were where we are, once (15+ years in some cases) (maybe there should be an emoticon with ( L ) plates for us learners). ;)

Also Thaddeus your analogy is flawed, WHY, well a big bag of rice could have your eye out, although you (meaning the global you, not you in particular) would end up parallel with the floor if hit with the rice. :D

Plachon mate, thanks for the concern for my mobility (paralytic = paralysed ) (I had an accident on my motorbike in the UK recently, broke my leg and wrist and funny :D thing I was stone cold sober, would you credit that).

Now, if your reference to me being paralytic was due to alcohol consumption I will convey to you the case in question.

Milord, on the day in question (songkran) the accused, pazza, had 2 thai whiskeys (forced on him by his thai neighbours) from which the neighbours took great delight in watching the accused nearly throw up, :D this, owing to the fact the accused is not really a drinker (preferring nam sum to beer chang), and, in the words of the accused “my body is a temple”, the defence rests its case.

In all seriousness and in deference to the more knowledgeable on this forum, when I mentioned (in passing) about miserable people (sorry), you must remember that, songkran , loy kratung and many more Thailand related customs, festivals and traditions are part of the new world that we (newbies) find ourselves in and all is wondrous and marvellous and far from (my miserable) real life back home so I just try to follow everyone and have a good time.

And finally, if you are saying tradition is being eroded by visiting farangs such as myself, lets not forget you were here first and before you followed tradition what damage did you do. :o

Plachon mate, thanks for the concern for my mobility (paralytic = paralysed ) (I had an accident on my motorbike in the UK recently, broke my leg and wrist and funny :D thing I was stone cold sober, would you credit that).

Now, if your reference to me being paralytic was due to alcohol consumption I will convey to you the case in question.

Milord, on the day in question (songkran) the accused, pazza, had 2 thai whiskeys (forced on him by his thai neighbours) from which the neighbours took great delight in watching the accused nearly throw up, :D this, owing to the fact the accused is not really a drinker (preferring nam sum to beer chang), and, in the words of the accused “my body is a temple”, the defence rests its case.

In all seriousness and in deference to the more knowledgeable on this forum, when I mentioned (in passing) about miserable people (sorry), you must remember that, songkran , loy kratung and many more Thailand related customs, festivals and traditions are part of the new world that we (newbies) find ourselves in and all is wondrous and marvellous and far from (my miserable) real life back home so I just try to follow everyone and have a good time.

And finally, if you are saying tradition is being eroded by visiting farangs such as myself, lets not forget you were here first and before you followed tradition what damage did you do. :o

Steve :D:D:bah:

Nice answer Steve. You didn't take umbrage at the odd dig from the prosecution and gave a very honest defence in the Songkhran witness box. And you know what, if I was in your shoes I would probably do exactly the same - have a few years of Songkhran fun, try and avoid trouble and when it all starts to become same, same, then look for new entertainment during the silly season. The only trouble is, there are so many drunken idiots on bikes and behind wheels at this time of year, that trouble can often find you. The Songkhran death and injury stats speak for themselves. :bah:

So, 'nuff said. Enjoy yourself wherever, but do try and avoid accident hotspots (read: almost any road in Thailand) for 3 - 5 days, depending on local situation, and don't become another stat. :o

Happy New Year! ;)

Some of US do know what the true meanning of Songkran and as a buddist I follow along with most other Buddists. I think what us OLD FARTS are saying is Please have a good time and be safe but dont let your guard down. If you are out in the country it' s a safer place to be because the KID that threw the ice ladden water in your face can be found in a small village. I will hang with my elders goto the Wat and wash the Buddha and for a safe place sit my butt next to a MONK.

Some of US do know what the true meanning of Songkran and as a buddist I follow along with most other Buddists. I think what us OLD FARTS are saying is Please have a good time and be safe but dont let your guard down. If you are out in the country it' s a safer place to be because the KID that threw the ice ladden water in your face can be found in a small village. I will hang with my elders goto the Wat and wash the Buddha and for a safe place sit my butt next to a MONK.

Likewise.... respect.

And pazza .... which part of my analogy didn't you understand.... I'll try it again, the traditional Songkhran is about the waiting and hope for new water, using the old water to bless your friends, neighbours and family by using a sparse amount of it to anoint them.... this has now transformed into a death-fest (and the farangs are not to blame at all) .... if the same thing happened in most parts of the western world and a few traditions were taken to the extreme, I think somebody may complain ..... but not here ..... for the people it's 'sanook' for the authorities 'no profit in it ..... do nothing... it keeps the population down' ...... and that attitude is annoying.

BANGKOK POST - Breaking News

Seven killed in pickup crash

(dpa) - A pickup truck overloaded with 23 passengers returning to the Northeast for the Thai New Year overturned Tuesday after a front tyre burst, killing seven people and injuring another 16, police said.

Songkran will be held from April 13 to 17.

The pickup, packed with labourers heading back to Sisaket province from Bankgok for an early start to the Songkran revelries, burst a tyre in Surin province in the Northeast. The driver lost control of the vehicle which crashed and overturned.

Five people died at the scene and two others en route to hospital, said police, who blamed the driver for overloading the truck.

Songkran, also known as the "water festival," was traditionally a time to visit parents and relations to seek blessings and wash away the misdeeds of the old year with a sprinkling of scented water.

The New Year, of Brahman origin, marks the advent of the rainy season and the end of the hot season, and is observed also in Cambodia, Laos and Burma.

In modern times the festival has come to be marred in Thailand by surging death tolls on the highways as urban labourers migrate back to their provincial homes for alcoholic binges and water fights.

I recollect reading that in Khorat, they were trying to keep the deaths down to something like 15 this year? Is that right - I think that was on Khorat Farang? I also read somewhere that Khorat is the Songkran death hotspot?

My wifes heading home to the Chumpuang area for the period and thankfully will stay in her village.

Thaddeus ---

And pazza .... which part of my analogy didn't you understand.... I'll try it again, the traditional Songkhran is about the waiting and hope for new water, using the old water to bless your friends, neighbours and family by using a sparse amount of it to anoint them.... this has now transformed into a death-fest (and the farangs are not to blame at all) .... if the same thing happened in most parts of the western world and a few traditions were taken to the extreme, I think somebody may complain ..... but not here ..... for the people it's 'sanook' for the authorities 'no profit in it ..... do nothing... it keeps the population down' ...... and that attitude is annoying.

Thaddeus--- The part where the demise, of the traditions of songkran, has fallen at my feet. :o

Is not knowing all the traditions in Thailand a criminal offence and my ignorance, no defence. :D

I think all you long (old) timers are very clever,, because you know the real meaning of songkran especially if you knew them all in your first few years here. :D

I have seen songkran twice, both times on holiday, I genuinely believe that when I come to live in Thailand, and not come as a tourist, I will do my best to, integrate, learn and observe traditions, (AND STILL NOT BE A MISERABLE OLD FART). :bah::o:bah:

As another example, I have not yet seen Loy Kratung, but when I do if the Thai people throw stones at the little boats or waft them with a little paper fan, that is what I will do (because I do not know any better and I would think the Thai people do).

I personally bemoan the fact that farang traditions (valentines day and Halloween to name but two) are being foisted on the Thai population. :D

From this (never been in Thailand for songkran)

:o Hello all, I will be leaving next week San Francisco to Nong Bu Nack just 2 hours outside Korat ( by BUS that is). This will be my first New Year ( Songkran ) in Thailand. I have been avoiding summer time and work in the States durring the heat of Thailand. So can some of you tell me what you will be doing durring the Holiday. Since I dont drive a TANK I will be keeping a low profile behind a wall in my yard. I have been told that in the bigger cities that you can get killed by water. I said the same thing... :D HUH???? I seems that the water is on the hard side as in ice chunks and if your going 15 to 20 mph and get a face full :o . I dont need to say more. So to all of you in Thailand "Happy New Year" and a face full of water. :D

To this ????

Thanks for the advice IMChris but I generally follow the advice (orders) of my girlfriend (she's a buddist too btw) to keep me out of trouble. :bah:;)

Take care all.

Steve :D:D:bah:

Now I know exactly what we are doing, so here is an up-date:

To start al the family is coming to the village this year for Songkhran.

The 4 houses will be blessed for good luck:

There will be 9 Monks and we are going to call all the elders from the village and they will be bathed and fed and given a monetry gift.

This is after the Monks have eaten of course.

Then the monks will move around the 4 houses blessing them.

After all this is done and the monks have gone we will then all eat as a big Family drink beer and dance if I have my way.

1 sister is buying the Vegetable

1 Sister is buying the pig

I am buying the booze

And the all the family will chip in with money for the elders and the monks.

The wife and I will go to Makro in Surin and purchase various items and the wife is going to make up gift packs for each month.

Well I am looking forward to it it all takes place on the 12th.

There will be a follow up to my input with photographs