Singaporean family taken to hospital after gas leak at resort

webfact

Singaporean family taken to hospital after gas leak at resort

1pm.jpg

Thai caption: Water heater gas leak

Three members of a Singaporean family were taken to hospital after a gas leak left them semi conscious in their room in Phu Thap Berk, Phetchabun. 

They had turned on a heater in the cold weather and there had been a leakage of gas, reported Sanook. 

The parents and a ten year old child were all given oxygen then rushed to a Lom Kao district hospital on Wednesday night after checking in on a group tour earlier that evening.

Latest reports suggested that the mother was out of immediate danger but that the father and child were still in intensive care. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-12-13

5 hours ago, Thian said:

Couldn't they smell the gas? They are lucky it didn't explode.

Pretty sure in the west they add something to gas to get that rotten eggs smell. Over here, can't say. My condo wisely doesn't allow gas canisters and such. Agree lucky didn't explode..

24 minutes ago, Emdog said:

Pretty sure in the west they add something to gas to get that rotten eggs smell. Over here, can't say. My condo wisely doesn't allow gas canisters and such. Agree lucky didn't explode..

The gas does have a faint smell but not that strong that is noticable going by recent my experience with a faulty water heater.

2 hours ago, Emdog said:

If a rotten egg smell is noticed with gas anywhere leave immediately and head upwind / up hill if possible.

It's a sign of h2S ( hydrogen sulphide ) and will kill you at a very low dosage (< 10ppm i think ).

1 hour ago, HashBrownHarry said:

If a rotten egg smell is noticed with gas anywhere leave immediately and head upwind / up hill if possible.

It's a sign of h2S ( hydrogen sulphide ) and will kill you at a very low dosage (< 10ppm i think ).

About 800ppm H2S is lethal for humans. 

You can’t smell H2S in higher concentrations (>50ppm ?) as it deadens the sense of smell. 

Phu Thap Berk thriller Gas water heater leak Singapore tourists were smoked in the entire room. 

They were cold and used the gas water heater to create steam from hot water to heat up the room. (that's what i understood from the translated story).

I don't know if that gas water heater had a chimney and air inflow into the room somewhere but if not it sounds like CO poisoning...so they are very lucky to survive this.

On 12/13/2019 at 7:01 AM, Thian said:

Couldn't they smell the gas? They are lucky it didn't explode.

The input fuel is gas.... the burnt fuel that is emitted and inhaled is carbon monoxide which is odourless, colourless and tasteless, but in a confined space deadly!

The exhaust gases should be properly vented to the outside atmosphere via a vent/chimney/flue or similar device.

Archived