R1200 GS 2016 model

HashBrownHarry

Special about Thailand:

The initial cost and the cost for spare parts is way higher than in our home countries (at least for most of us). But big bikes from other brands have the same problem, this is not limited to BMW or this model.

There are not many BMW dealers in Thailand, so depending on where you live the next one can be quite far away which might make servicing it or getting spare parts more difficult. Of course there are independent shops which might be able to service the bike, but mechanics who have experience with this bike will be rare as well.

Other than that it has the same pros / cons as in every other country.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

Special about Thailand:

The initial cost and the cost for spare parts is way higher than in our home countries (at least for most of us). But big bikes from other brands have the same problem, this is not limited to BMW or this model.

There are not many BMW dealers in Thailand, so depending on where you live the next one can be quite far away which might make servicing it or getting spare parts more difficult. Of course there are independent shops which might be able to service the bike, but mechanics who have experience with this bike will be rare as well.

Other than that it has the same pros / cons as in every other country.

Thank you for the reply, what about performance here though?

for example does the high humidity have any adverse effects?

2 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I've never heard of performance problems with bikes due to humidity. Even if there would be a measurable difference, i doubt it's something you could notice while riding.

As we know iron rusts faster in a climate with high humidity, but i guess they have this figured out after selling bikes across the globe for many years.

You would probably be lucky to find a single person here on Thaivisa who owns this model. Your chance to get answers would be much higher if you ask in the 1200GS Thailand Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1099015940177733/

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

I've never heard of performance problems with bikes due to humidity. Even if there would be a measurable difference, i doubt it's something you could notice while riding.

As we know iron rusts faster in a climate with high humidity, but i guess they have this figured out after selling bikes across the globe for many years.

You would probably be lucky to find a single person here on Thaivisa who owns this model. Your chance to get answers would be much higher if you ask in the 1200GS Thailand Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1099015940177733/

Thank you.

Why would no one on here own this model, too expensive?

I don't use FB....

5 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Living near the coast would be worse for corrosion. Same the world over. 

19 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Thank you.

Why would no one on here own this model, too expensive?

I don't use FB....

I'm following this forum section since quite a while and iirc i've only ever seen one guy here who owns a 1200GS, and no idea which model year he got or what his name is, he is not one of the regular posters here.

The price is of course a major reason (not saying it's overpriced, just that it costs a lot), if you would ask about a Honda CB500X or a Kawasaki Versys 650 you would find quite a few people here who own one.

Even when looking at adventure bikes one price class lower than the 1200GS, at least under the regular posters here on this forum, you will only find few who own one. For example I'm not aware of anybody here owning a Triumph Tiger besides myself, and i know of only one poster who owns an Africa Twin.

Another reason (regarding big bikes) is that i think the majority of the regular posters in this forum would prefer a more classic bike over an adventure bike.

Edited by jackdd
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I'm following this forum section since quite a while and iirc i've only ever seen one guy here who owns a 1200GS, and no idea which model year he got or what his name is, he is not one of the regular posters here.

The price is of course a major reason (not saying it's overpriced, just that it costs a lot), if you would ask about a Honda CB500X or a Kawasaki Versys 650 you would find quite a few people here who own one.

Even when looking at adventure bikes one price class lower than the 1200GS, at least under the regular posters here on this forum, you will only find few who own one. For example I'm not aware of anybody here owning a Triumph Tiger besides myself, and i know of only one poster who owns an Africa Twin.

Another reason (regarding big bikes) is that i think the majority of the regular posters in this forum would prefer a more classic bike over an adventure bike.

Ok - thanks

What model tiger do you have, how do you find it?

37 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Ok - thanks

What model tiger do you have, how do you find it?

Triumph Tiger 800 XCA, 2018

In general i'm happy with the bike, even though i think i was kinda unlucky with my specific bike.

I had some warranty claims over the time, nothing major, but stuff like water entering in the fog light, a button not working properly, cracks in the windscreen and other small things. Was always replaced on warranty without problems, but still quite annoying to visit the dealer to get the parts exchanged (usually it takes a week or two before the dealer gets the spare parts, they stock nearly nothing, but this is afaik similar at other brands).

It works fine on road and offroad (as good as a 200+kg bike can work offroad). Before i bought it i thought the heated grips and seat are useless in Thailand, but over the time i learned that it's actually nice to have (i wouldn't pay much money extra, but it's stock on the XCA, so i have it).

Spare parts are quite expensive (but for example BMW and Ducati cost similar).

Because only few people have this bike spare aftermarket maintenance parts are not so easy to get. Because i don't want to pay the outrages prices which Triumph charges for brake pads, chain and so on here in Thailand i have to order it from abroad or bring it with me after being back home.

But if you consider the 1200GS i guess you are looking for a more road orientated adventure bike, then you might want to have a look at the Kawasaki Versys, Suzuki V-Strom, Ducati Multistrada or Yamaha Super Tenere

About performance in Thailand. It's hot!

And it seems for some bikes, which are not especially designed with hot climate in mind, the cooling system is not good enough to keep the bike in a reasonable temperature range.

Some bike cooling is regularly in the red in stop and go traffic.

This is just a general advice, I don't you about that BMW.