Residence Certificate Applicaton Requirements

Yesterday, for the first time I was given the quoted form when applying for a Residence Certificate at Immigration. Previously, a simple form was all that was required.

Quote: Verbatim

" RESIDENCE CERTIFICATE

REMARKS: Acceptable for only one year visa:

(Extension in Thailand)

Required Documents:

1. 2 color photos (1.5" x 2")

2. Copy of Passport:

-picture page

-visa extension limit

-arrival/departure card (TM card).

3. A copy of the house registration or a copy of the rental contract.

4. A copy ID card of the owner and write certified of residence and signed by the owner.

(The ID card of the same person who signed in rental contract)"

Close verbatim quote

I was fortunate that I was able to obtain my Cert despite the new regulation as I had the owner of my house with me and tambien ban and ID card at the ready.

I can see why this new regulation might be problematic if you rent from a large apartment house and ID card of the owner and his signature are required.

Anyone do this and if so what did they accept from the large apartment house management???

• 1 month later...

re this

Nong Khai immigration told me i have to take the owner of the building with me. I rent a condo and the owner was good enough to send me copies if his ID card and tabien for the condo building which were both signed.

Off i went to NK and was told that the guy had to attend in person......which of course he will not do.

I pointed out that this was ridiculous but they did not seem to care that i had reached a dead end.

This is rule in thailand...u foroegner...etc etc etc

Yesterday, for the first time I was given the quoted form when applying for a Residence Certificate at Immigration. Previously, a simple form was all that was required.

" RESIDENCE CERTIFICATE

(Extension in Thailand)

Required Documents:

2. Copy of Passport:

-picture page

-visa extension limit

4. A copy ID card of the owner and write certified of residence and signed by the owner.

Close verbatim quote

I was fortunate that I was able to obtain my Cert despite the new regulation as I had the owner of my house with me and tambien ban and ID card at the ready.

I can see why this new regulation might be problematic if you rent from a large apartment house and ID card of the owner and his signature are required.

Anyone do this and if so what did they accept from the large apartment house management???

Another possible option?  A couple years back I need the "residence letter" and didn't want to drive down to Bangkok and spend half the day with traffic, parking skytrain, waiting, etc.  So stopped by the local amphur and asked them.  Sure, no problem, sez them, bring your wife down, tambien ban,ID card, etc, and we'll do it.  And they did.

Who knows, might work for others, wife or no, worth asking.

Mac

2 months ago,I obtained certificate from immigrarion office in Korat.

In my case I used the yellow tabien baan.

15 minutes and 200 baht later ,I had my certificate :o

Edited by dutch

And 1000 baht at AEK Udon Thani Immigration office....

Note: I had the owner of the house (with house registration book) I live in with me.

Do you think the man at AEK is corrupt?

Free in Nan immigration and I got 4 (1 each for car and motorbike ownership and driving licenses.....) without the landlord (I do not have one) but I am on a 1 year retirement extension

Edited by Krub

" RESIDENCE CERTIFICATE

(Extension in Thailand)

Required Documents:

2. Copy of Passport:

-picture page

-visa extension limit

Close verbatim quote

At least you were able to get one. I went to Chiang Mai Immigration office in February this year to get a residence certificate as the Motor Vehicles Department told me to do this because they required the certificate to register a vehicle that i had bought in my name. I have a non O visa valid until next year but do you know, they didnt even get as far as looking at my passport. The Immigration guy said that they do NOT issue the certifcate! Tried to explain that: 1. I was sent there to get it from them by another government agency. and 2. I had even printed out the 'application for residence certificate' application form from the thai Immmigration's website and showed him that. To no avail, they do not do that he insisted. Anyway, I ended up making an appointment with the Australian Embassy and got one, free of charge as well. The consular, Michael Walther, is a very helpful guy. Even he said they can do it but just couldnt be bothered. I did have to get his letter translated from english to thai but thankfully my g/f could do that.

Edit: Typo's

Edited by wadsy

Dutch

Now ya got me confused.  I sort of figured that the YELLOW TAMBIEN BAAN, which I obtained a couple months ago, would mean that I'd never need another "certificate of residence" again from anybody, the embassy, Immigration, or the amphur.

Who was it, or which Thai government office, that insisted on the certificate as opposed to the yellow tambien baan?

Mac

Dutch

Now ya got me confused. I sort of figured that the YELLOW TAMBIEN BAAN, which I obtained a couple months ago, would mean that I'd never need another "certificate of residence" again from anybody, the embassy, Immigration, or the amphur.

Who was it, or which Thai government office, that insisted on the certificate as opposed to the yellow tambien baan?

Mac

This was my understanding too, the yellow Tabien ban was good enough for my driver licence and for buying my car.

About the Immigration Officer in the AEK Udon,first time I hear this,good to know! :D

I have never had to show any rental agreement or landlord.

If you are on a Non Imm extended visa your local office will already have your file with all the details.

I have wondered how they would react if I said I own the house. :o

Actually the house is in the company name and I am the MD, with the signing rights.

Dutch

Now ya got me confused.  I sort of figured that the YELLOW TAMBIEN BAAN, which I obtained a couple months ago, would mean that I'd never need another "certificate of residence" again from anybody, the embassy, Immigration, or the amphur.

Mac

Sorry,I should have mentioned.

Certificate was for use OUTSIDE Thailand.

I had it translated and with notary seal on it.Was cheaper than going to embassy in Bangkok. :D

Dutch

Now ya got me confused. I sort of figured that the YELLOW TAMBIEN BAAN, which I obtained a couple months ago, would mean that I'd never need another "certificate of residence" again from anybody, the embassy, Immigration, or the amphur.

Mac

I had it translated and with notary seal on it.Was cheaper than going to embassy in Bangkok. :D

Just want to make things clear to new visitors of this forum.

I find the use of the name "certificate of residence" is wrong and confusing to new visitors to this forum.

The Certificate of Residence is the blue book you get if you have permanent residency in Thailand

as in Camerata's Guide To The Permanent Residence Process http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=74654

As you know this is not easy or cheap to get here in Thailand.

The document you are talking about is a certification of presence from a foreign embassy.

Cost about 1500 bath at most embassy.

And even if you DO have a certificate of residence some goverment office still require a certificate of presence , makes no sense I know, but TIT :D

Edited by brianinbangkok

Back to Chiang Mai: the only time we needed to get proof of residence registered with the immigration police, was when we were going to buy a used car. Of course, I'm not talking about the 90 day address notification; that has not required proof, as I recall.

In the end, we just registered the car in the boyfriend's name because he's Thai. But there is no way my landlady, an extremely rich lady from Bangkok, is going to get on the next tuk-tuk to Chiang Mai just to help me get something. There is no rental contract with her for the house I rent in CMai. When we thought that Immigration might need something from her, she just faxed a copy of her ID on her letterhead stationery.

My prior landlord in Chiang Mai was a Sikh businessman who also couldn't be bothered to run around town with a farang; that's what he paid the staff at the front desk of the condo to do.

As an old bureaucrat, I can sympathize with the poor souls behind the counter who can't question their boss's impossible demands. There's always the route of going to the embassy.

Dutch

Mac

I find the use of the name "certificate of residence" is wrong and confusing to new visitors to this forum.

The Certificate of Residence is the blue book you get if you have permanent residency in Thailand

as in Camerata's Guide To The Permanent Residence Process http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=74654

The document you are talking about is a certification of presence from a foreign embassy.

And even if you DO have a certificate of residence some goverment office still require a certificate of presence , makes no sense I know, but TIT :D

Just checked the embassy website.It is called "certificate of residency"

The immigration office certificate is officially translated as "certificate of residency"

For my PIT(personal income tax) I am "resident"

btw:never heard of a certificate of presence

Dutch

Mac

Just checked the embassy website.It is called "certificate of residency"

The immigration office certificate is officially translated as "certificate of residency"

For my PIT(personal income tax) I am "resident"

btw:never heard of a certificate of presence

Thats what the Thai Government officer called the letter that he wanted me to get from an embassy in an email after he refused my Thai certificate of residence as proof of being a resident in Thailand because his boss wanted to stick to the rules that said foreigners need to show a letter from the embassy stating they live here (fact I have one from Thai government did not seem to count) however you may be right that the embassy calls the letter they make for you a certificate of residency but if you look at the pinned article by Camerata the Thai issue a blue book with this text printed on the front of it: "certificate of residence" mind the "e" at the end :D

post-43611-1178252373_thumb.jpg

So even if they use this name for both documents , I still would like to point out they are NOT the same thing.

The fact the tax office treats you as someone living and working here as resident for tax reasons does not make you a resident by immigration law.

Check your visa also most likely its got "NON IMMIGRANT VISA" stamped on that page >>> not resident under Thai law.

Edited by brianinbangkok