Thais need to lower their prices: Starbucks coffee more in Thailand than Berlin

webfact

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, emptypockets said:

I don't know. When it gets to the stage of discussing the prices of the basics of life I'll top myself.

What do you actually like talking about ?

You just keep stating what you dont like and what you dont like to read

3 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Do the price conversion at 70 baht to the squid and see what they say.

Beer used to be cheap at 33 baht to the Ozzie dollar. Not so cheap at 20 baht now. The actual price hasn't gone up too much but the exchange rate has changed the dynamic. If you got paid in Thai baht you would have seen inflation and a slight increase in excise on local beer over the past ten years or so.

If you insist on drinking imported beer then you pay the price for your choice.

Bit cheeky to take a single item to comment on.Right now I have a carton(30 cans) and a packet of forty smokes in front of me in Australia. Beer was 53 and smokes 54 dollars total 107 bucks. At roughly 21 baht to the dollar that's well north of 2000 baht. Last week in Thailand 24 beers were about 800 baht and two packs of twenty smokes were 200 baht give it take. Thailand wins hands down.

70 baht to the squid! There you go again with strange postings. 

12 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Yeah you have to have a Mac book and sit in the window playing games, sensible folk go to Amazon, 50 baht a cup

???? ik. Even I eat out every single meal but avoid starbucks. Cafe amazon is so much cheaper and has better cafe. Starbucks is nice to work if no longue around. That’s the only times I buy anything there. 

2 hours ago, Alex2554 said:

Do you earn the same wage here?

Yes of course, otherwise it would be extremely stupid to life here. I get paid in USD.

How is that exactly related? Do retirees here not have the same pension then in the US?

Starbucks business model is to sell overpriced coffee to a bunch of hipsters, if you want real coffee for cheap go to a real coffee place here. Tons of alternatives.

But i've yet to see an empty starbucks here..

15 hours ago, waynerooney said:

Pretty much everything is more expensive in Thailand in comparison to the UK, with the exceptions being accommodation, THAI food and cigarettes.

Most things are cheaper; Transport including flights, trains, buses, taxi etc, Massage, Manicure,  Hair cuts, Health Spars, hospital treatment,  P4P, Asian food-Japanese, Korean, local spirits, fresh fruit and vegetables,  fish and shellfish both cooked and fresh  outdoor events  festivals, food, music, dance, fireworks,  cultural etc  ; oil, petrol, fuel, water electricity,  nightclubs, go go bars, traffic fines etc etc etc.

14 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Yes of course, otherwise it would be extremely stupid to life here. I get paid in USD.

How is that exactly related? Do retirees here not have the same pension then in the US?

Starbucks business model is to sell overpriced coffee to a bunch of hipsters, if you want real coffee for cheap go to a real coffee place here. Tons of alternatives.

But i've yet to see an empty starbucks here..

There is a real kickback against Starbucks in the UK. Desire to support small local businesses and anger at the low taxes they pay. There is no reason to visit one in Thailand . Horrible places.

3 hours ago, The Theory said:

I don’t buy anything overpriced. I really don’t care about Starbucks coffee since I can have a fresh coffee at any corner, but why should I pay for a shaving cream B200 (175g) that is actually B30 (280g) in US !!!  
because I’m farang and have beard to shave with no choice ?!!! Shaving cream is not alcohol or tobacco. 

Just use normal soap!

7 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

<deleted> are you on about? Thong Lor is radically cheaper than any place in New York. I live between Asoke and Thong Lor, that's not a suburb.

I lived and worked in Manhatten before coming to Thailand - the price difference is enormous, commuting 2 hours from New Jersey to NYC is also very normal just to save money... People life with roommates because they don't have enough cash for their own apartment there. 

I paid 3 grand for a Studio in the upper eastside, 40 minutes with subway to wallstreet, i can easily find a 200 sqm apartment for that price here.

You are again comparing Manhattan with Bangkok. It is not a fair comparison.

Prices in Bangkok are similar than what you pay for something comparable in Europe. And I am pretty sure the same goes for many places in the US.

15 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

So it is housing, food, and your cigs are cheaper.

Don't forget gasoline, electric, water, transportation, and girls.

Geez, what is left tell us that is more expensive here then the UK??

Delicious Kidney pie?

Blend 285 too?

9 hours ago, RedPill said:

I've never been there, so I take your word for it ????

A Starbucks in Sydney or Melbourne? How are they doing?

I can't tell you about Sydney or Melbourne.

But Starbucks closed about 70% of its stores.

Australians love good coffee and Starbucks was too American and too sweet

13 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

I have a little coffee machine at home. I fill it with coffee beans and water, it grinds the beans and makes percolated filtered coffee. It tastes wonderful and I have calculated, even with the most exclusive coffee beans, the production cost of a cup of coffee (same size as a Starbucks medium) is about 7 Baht.

but how much did u buy this machine ? I think 2x the price as in Europe or in your home country...I have already been interested to buy such small coffee machine but when I saw the price...

6 hours ago, JulesMad said:

Only complete idiots drink 'coffee' from starf*cks; my well-seasoned dishwater of 10 days tastes better... It is undrinkable, way too expensive and american. All the right reasons NOT to drink it ????

I rarely drink coffee from Starbucks. I make my own mostly from freshly ground beans. However, I disagree with this idea that Starbucks coffee is undrinkable. It is perfectly decent coffee, saying its <deleted> seems like an attempt to portray oneself as a connoisseur. Starbucks coffee is not the best I've had but it certainly is not the worst.

What I will never do is go to a Starbucks in Thailand. The prices are completely absurd. That goes especially for the sugary coffee drinks that Thais typically order. If all you want is a dose of sugar water with a slight hint of coffee, there are plenty of far cheaper alternatives.

16 hours ago, yankee99 said:

Well all the big ticket items are more expensive in the usa. Property taxes, health insurance, auto insurance, internet, cell phones, cable tv, car renewal, school tax, restaurants etc etc.. 

No for us their not

My property taxes are quite low & I actually get something for them. Also they reduced a lot when I turned 60 & will reduce again at 65

As for Car insurance it is cheaper here by a little because in Thailand I paid 12,500 Baht insurance& 7000 baht tax per year & here at an accident (highly unlikely) it wont be assumed I am wrong because I'm not Thai, Car tax renewal cheaper here as I do not also have to buy parabol

Cell phone? $26 a month unlimited call & text...cheap

Internet? Cheaper here than Thailand & much faster

School tax I dont pay any

Health insurance most in Thailand don't have it but I do here & it is greatly subsidized

I pay on a sliding scale based on income which is not to be confused with savings

I cannot imagine what it would cost in Thailand if available at all.

I know I do buy travel insurance for the 3 months a year I am there

I have no horse in any race but I live in both places.

Here 9 months a year

There 3 months a year

As I said we have no rent/mortgage & we really dont eat out

For us? Thailand costs more to stay per month except Electricity

22 hours ago, Ventenio said:

Are you in a prison?  No.  So, leave.

To leave the place or not to enter it, certainly ..
But why leave Thailand when at the market of my village I will have a coffee too and even maybe better than at SB for the ridiculous sum of 10 baht ...

Yes, there are far too many SB stores in Thailand;
but take a closer look ... How many customers a day?
how many that actually make the discount turnover?

It's the same in the "malls";
yesterday I was in Udon Thani, I went to see the stores that sell cameras at the Central Plaza;
the shopping center is almost empty of customers;
only stores selling food have a few customers.
Then I went to another shopping center which I call Tukcom but which has another name; it too was deserted;
smartphone merchants who get bored literally; there is nobody ! and the only store that sold cameras disappeared ...

14 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

The premise of this story is naive and absurdly out of touch with economic reality. Prices are solely the product of supply and demand. Period. If the prices were too high for their customer base they would go out of business. That's a fundamental inviolate principle of economics and business. So SOMEBODY is buying and paying those prices,

Sure enough prices are set in a market based on research and experience, but may have to be adjusted if the demand is not there, and I do believe that is what is happening currently in the few Starbucks that I see here where I am.

The customer numbers have dropped off quite markedly so whether the owners/franchisees will be happy to take a cut in profit is something to ponder. If the situation does become worse, then it's quite possible that the demand will have to be stimulated by such things as price cutting, added incentives, expansion of the range and so on.

To give you an example, just yesterday they were six customers in a huge Starbucks here, whereas at one time there would be perhaps 30+.

I do believe that competition, better product, better food options and of course pricing have something to do with it, of course in conjunction with the fact that Thailand/Phuket are marketing the destination to the budget market, and they won't spend that sort of money in a Starbucks.

The Australian example posted by another poster does show that even large companies like this who think they have got their finger on the pulse, sometimes get it wrong.

On 12/16/2019 at 8:45 AM, waynerooney said:

Pretty much everything is more expensive in Thailand in comparison to the UK, with the exceptions being accommodation, THAI food and cigarettes.

Keep that quiet, because as soon as these thieving bastards find out game over. ????????????

Archived