Question about shengen for thai with uk spouse visa

The visa should be issued free of charge and with the minimum of supporting evidence.

When the UK leaves the EU the Freedom of Movement concession should still apply during the transition period, after which third country rules will apply, unless an extension of the FoM is negotiated, which I doubt.

• Like 1

Applications should be made in the country where the applicant is normally resident, in the case of the op she’s legally resident in the UK so can apply in the UK.

If a person is visiting the UK they wouldn’t normally be allowed to apply whilst on holiday, save in the case of an urgent need to travel.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, theoldgit said:

Applications should be made in the country where the applicant is normally resident, in the case of the op she’s legally resident in the UK so can apply in the UK.

If a person is visiting the UK they wouldn’t normally be allowed to apply whilst on holiday, save in the case of an urgent need to travel.

Although I agree with you @theoldgit that this the norm I would suggest that the OP contacts the embassy of the country that his wife will be applying. I was sent this below from the French embassy in London. The key information is in the last sentance.

VISAS OUTSOURCING In order to improve the standard of service to the visas applicants, the French authorities have outsourced the information of visa applicants and the collection of visas application to the company TLScontact. This service is available regardless of the nationality, the type of passport, the duration and the purpose of the stay of the visa applicant. For all general enquiries, i.e. Do you need a visa? What type of visa? etc. please go to the - France Diplomatie’s website http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/coming-to-france/ - Or to TLScontact’s https://www.tlscontact.com/gb2fr If you cannot find the information you are after, you may either send an email to TLScontact after registering on their website or you may call them on 0845 7300 118 (Monday to Friday, 08:30 to 16:30), have your passport number / reference on hand if applicable. To apply, you have 3 options: - Apply via TLScontact – Benefits are appointments at short notice, customer friendly service, assistance in putting together your application, on-line tracking facilities; - Apply via an accredited visa agency – they will represent you at the TLScontact centre – see TLScontact’s website for the list of approved agencies; - Apply directly at the French Consulate – you will still need to contact TLS and request a Direct Appointment.

16 hours ago, puchooay said:

Maybe a daft question but, can the application be made in UK or does the applicant need to return to Thailand to apply? 

Yep, daft question. ????......  in your case your better half would need to apply in Thailand - until she gets settlement.

Just go to Cyprus............ or Georgia.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Yep, daft question. ????......  in your case your better half would need to apply in Thailand - until she gets settlement.

That is not true. Read the Schengen handbook for the reasons available to apply in another country.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, theoldgit said:

I have known a few that have obtained Schengen visas in the UK with the spouse/girlfriend on a visitor visa. I have also seen a case where the application was rejected when the spouse was on settlement visa.

There are no hard and fast rules, a bit like Thai immigration.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

I have known a few that have obtained Schengen visas in the UK with the spouse/girlfriend on a visitor visa. I have also seen a case where the application was rejected when the spouse was on settlement visa.

There are no hard and fast rules, a bit like Thai immigration.

Indeed that seems to be the case, that’s why I said “they wouldn’t normally be allowed to apply whilst on holiday”.

As you rightly say there are no hard and fast rules, it depends on the interpretation of the Schengen rules by individual Consulates and their staff including those in application centers. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sandyf said:

That is not true. Read the Schengen handbook for the reasons available to apply in another country.

It is hit and miss. I know friends who have been rejected and I would not want to rely on making an application in the UK whilst on a standard visitor visa.

5 hours ago, theoldgit said:

Indeed that seems to be the case, that’s why I said “they wouldn’t normally be allowed to apply whilst on holiday”.

As you rightly say there are no hard and fast rules, it depends on the interpretation of the Schengen rules by individual Consulates and their staff including those in application centers. 

Exactly. The Schengen handbook says there must be a "credible" reason and that does create a variable outcome.

I know one reason given was "insufficient time between being granted UK visitor visa and leaving Thailand" that was accepted, and another was "last minute special offer".

58 minutes ago, Letseng said:

Britain is not a Schengen member. Therefore  she needs a visa.

But the UK is currently a member of the EU and in theory a Schengen Visa isn't required, some people have put that theory to the test and suceeded, whilst others have failed at the carrier stage.