Police Impunded Truck For 140k

about 3 years ago my wifes sisters husband was thrown in jail for a very long time - before this happened he had purchased a Toyata 4x4 4 door and paid off all but 140k. (700k new i think)

We have just got a letter from the bank telling us if we want the truck we just have to pay 140k and it is ours (its in the sisters name). Right now we cannot see the truck as it is far away and it has been in police impound for the last 3 years just having been released back to the loan company.

Does anybody know exactly what happens to these trucks when they are in police impound.

Basicly I can have the truck for 140k, but what i want to know is if this is even worth it, or is it just a a big can of monkies?

Depends if 'impounded' means stored or used by the MiB for 3 years until its no longer worth driving..

Definately needs looking at.. But 140k for a 4 door 4x4 is under value..

One thing I am thinking is if he only had 140k left to pay on it, it must have been a few years old at time of impound ?? Wheres it impounded ??

Depends if 'impounded' means stored or used by the MiB for 3 years until its no longer worth driving..

Definately needs looking at.. But 140k for a 4 door 4x4 is under value..

One thing I am thinking is if he only had 140k left to pay on it, it must have been a few years old at time of impound ?? Wheres it impounded ??

from my understanding it was less than 6 months old when it was impounded by the police. He has paid almost cash for it and left a small amount to be paid on credit - it has been in 'police impoundment' for the past 3 years. 3 years in police custody for a truck can mean anything, and i doubt that it has just been sitting under a cover in the police yard. Even if the police chief gave it to his wives little brother to haul garlic for a few years, still a 4 door 4x4 for 140k may be a good deal and we could even flip it fast

It is somewhere in Chiang Mai and we have the letter they sent, and my wife spent over an hour calling yesterday and still couldn't figure out exactly where it was or how to get to it as she kept getting the Thai telephone shuffle-around

we will try again on monday

Forget it! 3 Years used or wrecked, or 3 years standing in the sun, heat and rain, it's over for the car. Rust, brakes will lock up, radiator can leacking, sticking valves, brocken rubbers, doorsealings, etc. Forget it. I saw cars when they came out of the ploice stations after one year, and they are totally gone. How do you know, maybe somone just swapt the gearboxes, air compressors, etc. If the vehicle is in good condition, the finance company would clean it up and send to the auctions, what they usally doing. So they could get much more profit. Why the should sell it cheap? Just forget it.

Forget it! 3 Years used or wrecked, or 3 years standing in the sun, heat and rain, it's over for the car. Rust, brakes will lock up, radiator can leacking, sticking valves, brocken rubbers, doorsealings, etc. Forget it. I saw cars when they came out of the ploice stations after one year, and they are totally gone. How do you know, maybe somone just swapt the gearboxes, air compressors, etc. If the vehicle is in good condition, the finance company would clean it up and send to the auctions, what they usally doing. So they could get much more profit. Why the should sell it cheap? Just forget it.

No don't forget it. You never know what condition the vehicle is in, go check it out, keep us informed if you please :o

about 3 years ago my wifes sisters husband was thrown in jail for a very long time - before this happened he had purchased a Toyata 4x4 4 door and paid off all but 140k. (700k new i think)

We have just got a letter from the bank telling us if we want the truck we just have to pay 140k and it is ours (its in the sisters name). Right now we cannot see the truck as it is far away and it has been in police impound for the last 3 years just having been released back to the loan company.

Does anybody know exactly what happens to these trucks when they are in police impound.

Basicly I can have the truck for 140k, but what i want to know is if this is even worth it, or is it just a a big can of monkies?

Dont listen to all the scare mongering,. there are legal issues why the bank didnt put it in an auction,. over a certain per cent paid off and they cant dispose of it,. what i would check is that the amount you have been quoted for release is not plus interest,( you know that small print we all disregard ) im 100 per cent sure you can find its wherabouts and see what we have here, failing that ill buy it off youfor 200.000 blind ( as long as the settlement figure dosent include interest,.