Thai prisons: 15,000 foreign convicts and 9,600 in for drugs

webfact

4 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

More interesting would be to see occupancy rates (I.e. people incarcerated per beds or space available). 

Easy Thai jail dont have bed. They put 100-150 peoples in a small room. You have to pay the boss to fully lay on your back. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, sanemax said:

In which countries can you possess illegal  drugs and not get prosecuted ?

Most of the europeans countries have stopped some years ago to

prosecute the simple possession of illegal drugs 

(Of course if the quantity is small, and it's considered for your own use)

there were so many of them, it was an impossible task for the police and justice

better to concentrate the efforts on the ''big fishs''

2 hours ago, cnx101 said:

Just because their in jail doesn’t mean they did anything wrong, this is Thailand anyone anytime could end up in jail innocent or not.

As anywhere in the world.

Look at all the death row prisoners who have been found not guilty.

Law enforcement and justice do not go hand in hand

5 hours ago, oneton said:

From Wiki Oct 2018 Statistics in order of Incarceration Rate per 100000 population

Thailand 5th out 223 Countries and Dependant Territories.

Table abbreviated - See Wiki for more details

image.png.384934717881c862498bd0cf30d2de57.png

Thank you for this. For all the moralizing talk about human rights from a certain nation that I hear, one might have expected China to be #1, but then some propaganda just sticks.

2 hours ago, Caldera said:

Easy, don't lock up non-dealing drug abusers and other petty offenders.

Once the prison population is down to a healthier level, the available resources will be more adequate for the remaining inmates.

Also, with foreigners in particular, petty offenders could be fined, deported and banned outright instead of being incarcerated at Thailand's expense.

Those who are determined to be here will find a way to get back time and time again. I see it every day volunteering. There's a Karen guy I've become friends with here. He was deported twice last month back into Myanmar. Guess where he is today? Thailand lol. 

53 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

Most of the europeans countries have stopped some years ago to

prosecute the simple possession of illegal drugs 

(Of course if the quantity is small, and it's considered for your own use)

there were so many of them, it was an impossible task for the police and justice

better to concentrate the efforts on the ''big fishs''

Dont know about your Country, but in the UK, if you are caught with a small amount of drugs, you get then convesgated and get an on the spot fine 

51 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

Thank you for this. For all the moralizing talk about human rights from a certain nation that I hear, one might have expected China to be #1, but then some propaganda just sticks.

Your point is? You do know it is a graph of rate of population to incarnation which can be interpretated many ways. The graph that would make more sense would be prison population compared to deaths or a graph showing prison rates of refusing medical treatment or charging prisoners for their own care etc. 

Im not condoning drug dealers and smugglers but I dont understand why Thailand has to get involved banging people up for years why not just inform the countries of origin and let them deal with it AKA Warren Fellows was about to smuggle heroin to Australia let them deal with it and as he says if you wasn't an heroin addict when you went to jail you will be when you come out they got lucky only did 11 years.

Anybody read the book Mr Nice by Howard Marks? in there he tells you who his biggest suppler was

I always thought these government had signed up to some convention or other to take care of people incarcerated 

4 hours ago, sanemax said:

Incorrect . You have to have been found guilty of a crime to end up in jail.

Yes,some innocent people in Thailand end up in jail, but its the same in all countries

According to the chart posted by Oneton, 18.2% of Thailands prisoners are unsentenced 

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Out of these 15,000 are foreigners and 9,600 of these are in for drugs offences.

Most of these are from Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar. 

4 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Where does it all end? Don't they get it?, these are considered fair and reasonable costs and the price of doing business as a tourist destination with the huge benefits to the economy tourism brings them financially

Most are not tourist. They are foreign worker.

4 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Next they will be adding back beach cleaning services and measuring and charging per person for the estimated amount of sewage generated to be added to the flight ticket.

I don’t think so.

12 hours ago, webfact said:

Most of these are from Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar. 

2 hours ago, Scot123 said:

Simple solution would be to send them back to their own countries to carry out their sentences. Oh wait there is money to be made off them. 

How much you think?

9 minutes ago, allenberg said:

Agreed. Remand = When a person is remanded in custody it means that they will be detained in a prison, or simply put, "in jail."

Yes, but they are there for a reason .

Its not as if the Police just and take random people and put them in jail for no reason

The Thai prison population is overly represented by women and the poorest social groups. Drugs offences figure unesseccarily highly. The barbaric medieval prison conditions are tantamount to torture.  This combined with police corruption,  military corruption at the highest level, ie coup makers put Thailand in a category of a Pariah state and a very dangerous place to visit.

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Its not as if the Police just and take random people and put them in jail for no reason

Not for no reason, obviously a crime has been committed if and when they lock someone up. But the big question is how often they manage to arrest the real culprit(s). Not as often as a professional police force in a civilized country whose officers are held accountable, that's a given.

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

Dont know about your Country, but in the UK, if you are caught with a small amount of drugs, you get then convesgated and get an on the spot fine 

In France police has dropped the case on all these small offenders

they were really too many of them, it was impossible to keep under control

3 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Im not condoning drug dealers and smugglers but I dont understand why Thailand has to get involved banging people up for years why not just inform the countries of origin and let them deal with it AKA Warren Fellows was about to smuggle heroin to Australia let them deal with it and as he says if you wasn't an heroin addict when you went to jail you will be when you come out they got lucky only did 11 years.

Anybody read the book Mr Nice by Howard Marks? in there he tells you who his biggest suppler was

I always thought these government had signed up to some convention or other to take care of people incarcerated 

It's how the international juridic system works everywhere in the world

An offender is tried and sentenced at the place where the offense has

been commited, and the sentence has to be served where he has been sentenced.

And for some reasons (I don'tdevelop here, but one is the cost of a transfer) it makes sense.

As always there is some rare exceptions at this general rule

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

You mean like Burmese workers who are fitted up for a crime to allow a Thai to escape justice?

Actually you are correct, I suppose that is a reason.

13 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

How many Irish people has your country convicted on bogus terrorist charges the last 3 decades who got acquitted after very long prison charges?

10? Guilford 4 (who weren't innocent they just couldn't prove which of them were guilty). And the Birmingham 6.

The real Birmingham bombers got away Scot free. Plus many more due to the Good Friday agreement.

Archived