AIS, True in competition to show off 5G technology

snoop1130

AIS, True in competition to show off 5G technology

By The Nation

800_02babd2a3ff283c.jpg

Mobile network service providers Advanced Info Service (AIS) and True Corporation are competing by showcasing 5G technology after the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission allowed them to test the network.

AIS is putting on a 5G demonstration until January 3 at Samyan Mitrtown Mall on Rama IV Road in Bangkok featuring 5G-powered 3D holograms, 5G VDO calls, a 5G remote control vehicle, 5G connected drones, and 5G robotics. The demonstration, which commenced on December 13, is being held from 10am to 10pm. From December 24 to 31, it will be open from 10am to midnight.

A few days later, on December 16, True began holding its own demonstration called “True 5G World @ Siam Square” at Lido Connect and three branches in Siam Square on Rama I Road in Bangkok.

The demonstration will include a DJ 5G hologram concert to be held between December 19 and 22, 5G Dating with a Star, and a VR smart suit. The demonstration is set to end on January 14.

Total Access Communication, or Dtac, conducted a 5G test at their officers at Dtac House’s Never Stop Café on Bangkok’s Phyathai Road on September 9.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30379559

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-12-17

From what I hear, we are still a ways away from having fully operational 5G, even in the West. They are putting up some systems, but so far, the speeds are barely comparable to LTE and 4G. And the last time I was back in the US, I got only about 15mbps download speeds on Verizon 4G. Seems if anything the quality of declining, with the over subscription of the old networks. 

Here in Thailand both the 4G speeds and the fiber optic speeds blow away anything that is available in the US. And in the US the cell service is three to five times the cost. But, that is not surprising. In the US the infrastructure is crumbling. The Feds and the major corporations both seem to refuse to spend much on it. Asia is on the rise, as the West appears to be on the wane. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Henryford said:

As i understand it 5G only really works if you are in direct line of sight with the transmitter so you would need hundreds of cell sites to give a decent 5G coverage in any particular area. Can't see that happening here for many years.

High frequency, or mm band, 5G, which provides the fastest speeds - and there are independent YouTube videos showing people getting up to 10Gbps downloads from it, does indeed require line of site for an uninterrupted signal.  However, there are also mid and low band 5G frequencies, which provide slower data - though still faster than current 4G tech in the case of mid band, without the need for line of site.  The goal is to have all the bands broadcast, at least in cities at first, with your phone locking on to the fastest signal and automatically dropping to the next fastest should it begin to lose connectivity - rather like previous generation phones automatically switched to a 3G signal when they couldn't get, or lost, a 4G one.  Mid band is expected to have similar coverage properties as current 4G, while providing faster data speeds, so would still likely work further away from towers - such as upcountry where I get a strong 4G signal on my phone despite being well over a km away from the tower, and with countless trees and several walls between it and me.  Low band would be used by more shielded items, such as internet connected home appliances that don't need superfast speeds.

This chart from Ericsson shows how the 5G bands tie in with current, and older, generations.

image.png.56f5d407e908b5e00e7e4b9289f0d3b0.png

Edited by ballpoint