Delivery services, a moan

Oxx

This will seem like a pointless moan, because that's exactly what it is.

I know that food delivery services typically only cover areas such as Sukumwit and Silom.  Understandable, since food doesn't stay that hot for long.  However ...

A couple of days ago I noticed that a supermarket chain was advertising stollen in the Bangkok post.  I haven't had it for perhaps 15 years, so was excited to place an order.  (I love marzipan.)  Went to the website, and there it was.  However, once I'd logged in it disappeared.  I contacted the supermarket and was told it wasn't available in my part of Bangkok.

Today I tried to place an order for pricey charcuterie from a Bangkok delicatessen.  The website suggests they deliver all over Thailand.  After failing to place an order through the website I contacted them via Facebook.  No, they won't deliver my order to my part of Bangkok.

It's not as if I live in somewhere really remote like Pathum Thani or Samut Prakan.  I live in Bangkok.  I live perhaps 15 km from the charcuterie shop.  And companies like Kerry offer same day delivery within Bangkok.  I also live in an affluent area with lots of big houses and rich people.

So why don't these companies bother to serve would be customers who live outside the farang ghettos in the city?

Incidentally, I have since been able to order stollen ... from a bakery in Chiang Mai.

24 minutes ago, Gumballl said:

Is this a post about stollen, or the fact that you live 15 km from the source? IMHO, that is a wee bit far to expect food delivery.

This isn't a food delivery of hot food, but a delivery of groceries.

And for such a delivery 15 km isn't that far.  After all, a company 700 km away is prepared to deliver fresh stollen.  Why not one in the same city? (Actually, I know the answer to that:  a lazy, complete lack of a service-minded attitude.)

14 minutes ago, Oxx said:

This isn't a food delivery of hot food, but a delivery of groceries.

And for such a delivery 15 km isn't that far.  After all, a company 700 km away is prepared to deliver fresh stollen.  Why not one in the same city? (Actually, I know the answer to that:  a lazy, complete lack of a service-minded attitude.)

No, its because they know that people who...

3 hours ago, Oxx said:

....live in an affluent area with lots of big houses and rich people.

don't order delivery.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

(Stollen)  I couldn't figure out what it was,   I knew it was some sort of fancy bakery creation. 

Aber Naturlich,  it looks good too.   Do you generally heat it up a little before?  

Do you say the word "Stollen"   like Stuka,  or Standard?

It's not that fancy.  A slightly sweet bread, lightly spiced and often with dried fruit.  Been made in Germany for over 500 years.  My favourite version has a strip of marzipan running through the centre.  No need to warm it.  A nice warming glass of sweet wine with it, however, is divine.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

It's not that fancy.  A slightly sweet bread, lightly spiced and often with dried fruit.  Been made in Germany for over 500 years.  My favourite version has a strip of marzipan running through the centre.  No need to warm it.  A nice warming glass of sweet wine with it, however, is divine.

Oh yes, that does look good!

1990386687_MarzipanStollen.jpg.fd00b107d2ae9330d5e121809411cf43.jpg

Can you share a link for the Bangkok place that failed to deliver locally? I am up in Udon and may have better luck. Our last local German bakery closed a couple of years back.

Danke!

NL

Edited by NanLaew

1 hour ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

Approximately the same distance as if you went to the store and just bought it yourself, which would probably be quicker and cheaper without possible delivery fees or a tip to the delivery man.

You may not value your time, but I do.  I have better things to do than drive a round trip of 30 km to get a few bits of charcuterie.

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 4:09 AM, Oxx said:

However, once I'd logged in it disappeared.  I contacted the supermarket and was told it wasn't available in my part of Bangkok.

Don't you just hate it when a website sends you off into deep dark space with no explanation why !

• Like 1

On 12/23/2019 at 2:42 PM, Oxx said:

You may not value your time, but I do.  I have better things to do than drive a round trip of 30 km to get a few bits of charcuterie.

Stollen has been for sale for nearly a month. It needs to get baked and left to mature before it is really good. You can buy early.  Did you never get anywhere near a Stollen seller in a month?

Oriental Hotel one is good.

It doesn't have to do with the food being hot or not, just that food delivery companies operate on small margins. While it might seem like 15km isn't far, it's 15km *there and back* which means 30km.... that's 30km of fuel, wear and tear on the vehicle, and enough time that the same driver could make 3-4 short deliveries. It also keeps drivers in the general vicinity and immediately available to quickly pick up the next order nearby just for logistics purposes. I've suggested to companies to charge a 2x-3x delivery fee for places that are out of the normal range, but I suppose it is too complicated or might confuse people.

5 hours ago, maxisrael said:

I make the stoll  myself and for a few friends every year with Christmas not filled with marsepein but with almondpaste and ???? on top covered with icing sugar. 

Do you deliver ?  ????

???? :coffee1:   i will value your time :cheesy:

Edited by brianthainess
add emo